Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 9:53 Quote
mistermanny wrote:
Reduced the rear caliper tabs a bit more...now pad to rotor engagement is perfect.

Had the front wheel rebuilt with a boost dtswiss hub, so I can finally install my Fox36 performance (44 offset).
Reduced fork travel to 140mm, 150mm was too tall on steep climbs.

Currently running Fox recommended settings, just need trail time to fine tune.

Minion 2.5F, and 2.3R
Weight with peddles = 32.5 lbs

I've been curious how the bike would ride with a reduced offset fork. I like it on my other bike, but they're so different I'm not sure I can compare properly.

Was thinking of reducing my travel on my bike to 130 and getting a works headset to slacken it by 1.5 degrees. Kinda want the bike a bit lower and my trails just aren't that gnarly for a 140

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 14:49 Quote
Still digging the Kona.

Tried 30% sag on the shock...too bouncy.
Much better with 25% Big Grin

Cleaned up an obstacle on my local trail today.

Looking forward to not having to stop at this tree going forward.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 16:32 Quote
[Quote="mistermanny"]Still digging the Kona.

Tried 30% sag on the shock...too bouncy.
Much better with 25% Big Grin

I too like a bit less sag when things are pedally. Going down I like a little more.

[

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
She's mean and tough... the bike that is...

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
Staktup wrote:
She's mean and tough... the bike that is...

If I had have a dog, that is the kind I'd want for sure. Love those little rippers

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 11:39 Quote
Is that your trail dog?
Would love to have a trail dog...often imagine after watching vids of others on the trail with their dogs.

One day.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 12:50 Quote
Yes, a 3.5 yr old rescue. Sweet as candy to people, a little domineering with other canines. Therefore, I only let her run free in the woods where I am doing trail prospecting for state parks.

She also comes paddleboarding and kayaking with my family. I will be working with a trainer to socialize her with other dogs soon.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 7:11 Quote
Staktup wrote:
Yes, a 3.5 yr old rescue. Sweet as candy to people, a little domineering with other canines. Therefore, I only let her run free in the woods where I am doing trail prospecting for state parks.

She also comes paddleboarding and kayaking with my family. I will be working with a trainer to socialize her with other dogs soon.

I like hearing stories about dog owners who actually give a crap. So many off leash dogs on my trails who need to be trained. I've been chased, more than once.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
Team Process.

So far there is no bike out there I want more for my local trails than my 2017 Process, BUT, I'm thinking of putting in a Works Components headset to slacken it a bit. I'm also thinking of dropping the fork down to 130 from 140 as having ridden a bike with a 130 upfront with a 65 degree I've realized that a lower stack height than I have with my 140 is appreciated, while 130 didn't feel like a significant compromise over a 140. My trails aren't all that lumpy anyway.

Thoughts?

This would probably keep enthused for at least another season.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 20:50 Quote
I'm pleased with how my Process turned out with the 65ish HTA and 140 fork.

2017 kona process 111 with a works -1.5 angle headset

Since your planning on running a 130 fork, your Geo would be similar with a -2.0 works headset.

2017 kona process 111 with a works -2 angle headset

Come on in, the water is fine Smile

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 6:05 Quote
funny, I've been using that tool a lot too, haha.

Your fork lengths are totally off Razz

A friend who made the same mod to a 2016 frame heard from Kona that a 1 degree angleset isn't enough to void warranty, so I assume .5 degrees and 10mm sagged is not gonna obliterate the front end. They must test for max rider weight etc. so I can only hope if a 250lb bro is cool to ride this harder than me I'll be fine.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
JesseE wrote:

A friend who made the same mod to a 2016 frame heard from Kona that a 1 degree angleset isn't enough to void warranty, so I assume .5 degrees and 10mm sagged is not gonna obliterate the front end. They must test for max rider weight etc. so I can only hope if a 250lb bro is cool to ride this harder than me I'll be fine.

Do you recall what the max was, to void Kona's warranty?

Another thing to consider is the bottom bracket height (the angle headset will lower it a bit).
Do you encounter rock strikes now?

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 17:57 Quote
mistermanny wrote:
JesseE wrote:

Do you recall what the max was, to void Kona's warranty?

Another thing to consider is the bottom bracket height (the angle headset will lower it a bit).
Do you encounter rock strikes now?

I'm using a 140 so it's higher than should be already, so no rock strikes ever. I'm not overly worried about bringing it down a few mm

No idea what the max was.

Here's Kona's Tech response:

"It’s kind of a how tall is a tree kind of question.

The new 134 spec was a clean sheet design and not a do over of one of the older bikes. So it was drawn up around those angle, the tubes were made to support that fork and the fork is a new longer travel item.

If you were looking to improve the ride of your 111 I wouldn’t try and make it into something it’s not. If it was me I would go for a works build on the suspension. Getting a better ride quality will for sure pay off. "

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 18:23 Quote
I like the Kona tech’s response. But no shame and harm in experimenting for one’s self too. Good luck!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011981
Mobile Version of Website