Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!
O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 10:47 Quote
U can use the tabs on the underside of the downtube to hold a cage and faux bottle for storage, and a tube or Tubolito strapped in yhe front triangle by the shock mount.

I wear a hydration pack or Osprey dual bottle fanny.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 14:37 Quote
I use a Dakine hipsack, which can take a water bladder, or a backpack for longer rides and both hold the basics (tube, pump, basic tools, money etc).

Process 111 mandates use the use of a dropper.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 19:23 Quote
Grips are those inexpensive silicon/foam grips from ebay. They are a little on the minimalist side, but quite functional and did I mention they were inexpensive.

Regarding the tube/tool carrier, I had it made by a local upholsterer...costed less then $3USD.
It's a simple belt with 4 pockets for tools/cash and holds a spare tube with a wide Velcro strap to secure...super practical. Had him make several that I gave away to the local shredders.

Originally I had it strapped to the seat rails, but moved it to the top-tube for easier access.

Dropper just needs a remote, which actually arrived today.
So I will soon be in complete accordance with the kona brotherhood by-laws Smile

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 12:11 Quote
Was able to get out yesterday with my nephew and tryout the new dropper.
Photographic evidence Smile

photo

Unfortunately I got an unlucky rock strike, which hit the air valve on my Rockshox monarch RT.
Valve now has a slight bend at the base, and won't hold air. Will check, but doubt it's repairable.

bad luck. Rock hit air valve on rockshox monarch shock...now it doesn t hold air.

I was able to shorten the travel on a Fox Float shock down to 186mm with some DIY plastic spacers.
Test fitting looks good, hope to take her out for a test ride later today.

diy spacers to shorten travel on fox float shock.

I'll probably start looking for a long term replacement.

Be safe my brothers!!

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 4:19 Quote
My 2015 process needs a new bottom bracket thats not running as smooth as it once did so my question to you guys what bottom bracket fits on sram nx cranks and on a 2015 model thanks in advance

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
Verogroenewoud wrote:
My 2015 process needs a new bottom bracket thats not running as smooth as it once did so my question to you guys what bottom bracket fits on sram nx cranks and on a 2015 model thanks in advance

Stock bottom bracket (BB) on the 2015 is a press fit (PF), specifically a Shimano GXP 92. As far as the NX crank goes, I think it might depend if it's a newer one. When I did the crank and BB on my Dad's bike this fall, I just opted for a new PF GXP BB from SRAM because I reckoned the bearings were completely shot at that point anyway AND I really wasn't sure what the new DUB technology from SRAM meant for crank compatibility.

Bottom line, if the NX crank is more recent than 2018 I'd just get a new SRAM PF BB. The GXP 92 from them should do the trick and only run you about $30-$40.

If anyone else knows any better though, you might want to hear them out. I'm certainly not an expert... at anything. Anyway, stay healthy out there. Cheers and best of luck!

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 17:40 Quote
dpreed wrote:
Verogroenewoud wrote:

Stock bottom bracket (BB) on the 2015 is a press fit (PF), specifically a Shimano GXP 92. As far as the NX crank goes, I think it might depend if it's a newer one. When I did the crank and BB on my Dad's bike this fall, I just opted for a new PF GXP BB from SRAM because I reckoned the bearings were completely shot at that point anyway AND I really wasn't sure what the new DUB technology from SRAM meant for crank compatibility.

Bottom line, if the NX crank is more recent than 2018 I'd just get a new SRAM PF BB. The GXP 92 from them should do the trick and only run you about $30-$40.

If anyone else knows any better though, you might want to hear them out. I'm certainly not an expert... at anything. Anyway, stay healthy out there. Cheers and best of luck!

I just built up my 2017 with new Truvativ Descendant cranks. These use Sram's dub tech, which you can get SRAM dub bottom brackets for almost every standard. Check to see if the NX cranks are dub compatible (lock collar will say dub right on it) and if so you'll need a dub bottom bracket (fairly inexpensive)

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 10:52 Quote
Here we go! Got my hands on a Fox 34 140mm fork used locally. Word is the trails around me are real close to being ready to go for riding season. Can't wait to get this beast on a trail and off the pavement

photo

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 16:36 Quote
asteeves46 wrote:
Here we go! Got my hands on a Fox 34 140mm fork used locally. Word is the trails around me are real close to being ready to go for riding season. Can't wait to get this beast on a trail and off the pavement

photo

fancy build! how's long that golden fork?

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 5:20 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
asteeves46 wrote:

photo

fancy build! how's long that golden fork?

140. The 120 Reba didn't pass the pavement test. Front end seemed away too low. Felt like I was on drop bars. Much more comfortable positioning now

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
I also like the added height of the 140.

On the way back from a ride, a guy asked me how often do you change bikes.
I told him, if you find something you enjoy...no need to change Smile

Stay Safe

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
mistermanny wrote:

Stay Safe

After dropping mine down from 140 to 130 and adding a slack set -1 deg, I don't notice the front end being low in any negative way, but feel like the bike is more balanced now than with a 140 and normal headset. Like the lower BB, but could maybe put in a spacer if I go ride bigger downs. Such a ripper of a bike. I honestly don't see any bikes on the market that make me desperate to sell.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 15:07 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
mistermanny wrote:

Stay Safe

After dropping mine down from 140 to 130 and adding a slack set -1 deg, I don't notice the front end being low in any negative way, but feel like the bike is more balanced now than with a 140 and normal headset. Like the lower BB, but could maybe put in a spacer if I go ride bigger downs. Such a ripper of a bike. I honestly don't see any bikes on the market that make me desperate to sell.

I wonder how a 27.5 rear wheel would fare on big downhill days like ripping at a bike park? Especially with the 140 fork bringing that bottom bracket up a bit. Or if it would even be beneficial? May have to find one to try out if this situation clears up this season

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 11:15 Quote
Question for you guys,

I'm contemplating two things:
1. Changing out the 120mm (@29") air shaft for a 140mm (@29") air shaft on the rockshox pike fork. Has anyone done it? Seems like just a few extra steps added to my usual lower leg service routine. Any problems I should be on the lookout for?
2. Adding a two degree slack angle headset (but not a cane creek because I've heard terrible things about the noise).

Doing both on my 2015 Process 111 gives me the same wheelbase (1201.1mm) and BB drop (-31.6mm) as a 2017 running a 140mm pike fork. I feel like I'm going to love the ~30mm of extra wheelbase, but will I notice the ~4mm rise in my BB height? Anyone riding a similar setup notice the bike feeling a bit less agile? Lemme know, and thanks as always everyone.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
dpreed wrote:
Question for you guys,

I'm contemplating two things:
1. Changing out the 120mm (@29") air shaft for a 140mm (@29") air shaft on the rockshox pike fork. Has anyone done it? Seems like just a few extra steps added to my usual lower leg service routine. Any problems I should be on the lookout for?
2. Adding a two degree slack angle headset (but not a cane creek because I've heard terrible things about the noise).

Doing both on my 2015 Process 111 gives me the same wheelbase (1201.1mm) and BB drop (-31.6mm) as a 2017 running a 140mm pike fork. I feel like I'm going to love the ~30mm of extra wheelbase, but will I notice the ~4mm rise in my BB height? Anyone riding a similar setup notice the bike feeling a bit less agile? Lemme know, and thanks as always everyone.

I just went back from 140 to 130 and with the slack set it's now a half a degree slacker than with the 140 and the difference isn't HUGE, but the bike feels better in corners etc. with the lower BB, while not feeling any less plush with 10mm of travel less.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019352
Mobile Version of Website