Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!
| Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2018 at 22:11 Quote
Newest add-on to my bike. E*Thirteen TRS Race Crankset. Just couldn't help myself

Still working on my friend's bike. Finally got him to buy a proper fork. Resulted in me having to build him a front wheel.
Smile
White pedals and bottle cage are next to the trash heap. BUT....Couldn't convince him to shorten stem or rid himself of bar ends. Eek

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 8:26 Quote
Team Process,

Finally have my bike feeling dialled and man, am loving it. I've been on a hardtail exclusively for the last 5 years and it took a couple of rides to get used to rear suspension. Didn't help that my shock crapped out after 2 rides, so was back in the shop for weeks.

I'm running about 20% sag and think for my trails maybe even a touch less could be good, cause there are a lot of steep twisty climbs and I don't like sagging back as it messes with my balance, but the trails are generally pretty smooth so don't need a lot of small bump compliance, just for bigger impacts.

The bike is long, but man, it's stable going down, while surprisingly easy to pop off stuff. It's a total blast. And, after being on plus tires and 2.6s 27.5, running 2.35 29ers feels great. Dampfs are grippy as heck on my trails, but the roll is so much better on big hoops and there's far less drag.

Love it!

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 9:54 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Team Process,

Finally have my bike feeling dialled and man, am loving it. I've been on a hardtail exclusively for the last 5 years and it took a couple of rides to get used to rear suspension. Didn't help that my shock crapped out after 2 rides, so was back in the shop for weeks.

I'm running about 20% sag and think for my trails maybe even a touch less could be good, cause there are a lot of steep twisty climbs and I don't like sagging back as it messes with my balance, but the trails are generally pretty smooth so don't need a lot of small bump compliance, just for bigger impacts.

The bike is long, but man, it's stable going down, while surprisingly easy to pop off stuff. It's a total blast. And, after being on plus tires and 2.6s 27.5, running 2.35 29ers feels great. Dampfs are grippy as heck on my trails, but the roll is so much better on big hoops and there's far less drag.

Love it!

I am running roughly 25% sag but Kona recommends 30% which is crazy on such a short travel bike. I have two shocks for the simple reason that I don't trust air shocks much, figure it is better to be prepared for the inevitable than be out of luck.

I have 2.5 front and 2.3 rear. My Aggressor doesn't live up to its name, while the tread pattern is great the casing isn't the best at staving off rips, holes, etc... Back to a DHRII or DHF soon.

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 11:03 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
JesseE wrote:
Team Process,

Love it!

I am running roughly 25% sag but Kona recommends 30% which is crazy on such a short travel bike. I have two shocks for the simple reason that I don't trust air shocks much, figure it is better to be prepared for the inevitable than be out of luck.

I have 2.5 front and 2.3 rear. My Aggressor doesn't live up to its name, while the tread pattern is great the casing isn't the best at staving off rips, holes, etc... Back to a DHRII or DHF soon.

I don't seem to ride hard enough to rip off knobs on my dampfs, which are pretty notorious for it. That said, there aren't a tonne of rocks or sharp things to help, either. Smooth clay & roots here & there.

If I have more issues I'll probably look into a backup as well. I don't doubt I'll be warrantying this shock before long and then I may get another. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to rear suspension, but can you get any shock in 110mm?

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 11:14 Quote
JesseE wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:
JesseE wrote:
Team Process,

Love it!

I don't seem to ride hard enough to rip off knobs on my dampfs, which are pretty notorious for it. That said, there aren't a tonne of rocks or sharp things to help, either. Smooth clay & roots here & there.

If I have more issues I'll probably look into a backup as well. I don't doubt I'll be warrantying this shock before long and then I may get another. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to rear suspension, but can you get any shock in 110mm?

It’s a 7.25 x 1.25 (184x44) sizing so choices are very limited. Pretty much any air shock without a piggy back (expect fox dpx2 will fit) will fit in. But the tuning from factory is key. I’m considering sending in my primary shock to be tuned to my weight and riding style, if and when I have a spare $200!

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 12:05 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
JesseE wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

Everyone really just needs two bikes to ride.

It’s a 7.25 x 1.25 (184x44) sizing so choices are very limited. Pretty much any air shock without a piggy back (expect fox dpx2 will fit) will fit in. But the tuning from factory is key. I’m considering sending in my primary shock to be tuned to my weight and riding style, if and when I have a spare $200!

Everyone just needs at least one backup.

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 21:03 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Team Process,

Love it!

Yeah...It's your first paragraph that has me keeping the X-Fusion 02 I have set aside as a backup...as I worry that while the CC DB looks like a beastly shock, if it fails, I'd be scrambling while I either buy one or wait for it to be fixed.

I have to say that I'm really hoping DVO actually releases the 184x44 that is rumored to be coming out (Opal name if I recall). Might just change to that, as the CC looks to be a nightmare to service and the DVO stuff seems to have some great documentation for service online.

With any luck, bike will take on it's final iteration this weekend when I get the DVO Diamond fork and Eagle trigger shifter (going back to traditional, as I like the D1x electronic, but honestly feel 1-stupid for spending $400 for something to pull a cable and 2-that I can sell it and use the $ value elsewhere).

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 21:05 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:

I've really liked the Aggressor on my bike. Had Dampfs on there and they seemed a bit squirrely on wet, rooty sections. the Maxxis seem to do a much better job so far. Looking to get on some more diverse stuff this summer when I get out of South FL and hit some trails in the Adirondaks in NY.

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 21:30 Quote
Th3Bill wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

I've really liked the Aggressor on my bike. Had Dampfs on there and they seemed a bit squirrely on wet, rooty sections. the Maxxis seem to do a much better job so far. Looking to get on some more diverse stuff this summer when I get out of South FL and hit some trails in the Adirondaks in NY.

I’ve been riding the aggressor for about 6 months and it hasn’t held up well in the PNW. Couple of beastly holes in the tread line and the sidewalls are constantly weeping out stans sealant with no tears. I’m going back to what I know especially with Park season starting soon here.. dhf 2.3 or a dhrII 2.3 in the rear with double down casing.

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 4:29 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
I’ve been riding the aggressor for about 6 months and it hasn’t held up well in the PNW. Couple of beastly holes in the tread line and the sidewalls are constantly weeping out stans sealant with no tears. I’m going back to what I know especially with Park season starting soon here.. dhf 2.3 or a dhrII 2.3 in the rear with double down casing.

Damn. Haven't had any issues with the sidewalls....yet. Which compound did you get?
Granted I haven't gotten out a bunch lately, as it's rained almost every day I've been off for last 3 weeks and the trails are all lowland areas, so they haven't drained at all and are basically like riding through a continuous lake. Frown
Then again, could likely be the kind of trails you're riding as well...most of what I have is very little along the line of rocks and such and mostly roots, mud, stumps, mud, sand, mud...
Probably have to worry more about these once I get up to NY this summer...more mountainous and rocky trails up there.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027532
Mobile Version of Website