Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!
Posted: Apr 23, 2019 at 12:52 Quote
I love schwalbe dampfs, with maybe a rock razor on the back when things are dry. 2.35. Lighter than a lot of the competition but pretty grippy for me and a decent roller.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 5:30 Quote
Hi All, I bought a 111 2016 new last year because I'd always wanted one and also it was reduced. I love the bike but can't help thinking It would benefit from slightly longer travel and the question is, Can I convert the travel on the Pikes from 120 to 140 ? I see there are damper up grades available for the Yari I have on another bike so I wonder if this could be used for added travel. Cheers.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 5:35 Quote
konabigshed wrote:
Hi All, I bought a 111 2016 new last year because I'd always wanted one and also it was reduced. I love the bike but can't help thinking It would benefit from slightly longer travel and the question is, Can I convert the travel on the Pikes from 120 to 140 ? I see there are damper up grades available for the Yari I have on another bike so I wonder if this could be used for added travel. Cheers.

The pike should only need a new air shaft that bumps it up to 140. They are dirt cheap and fairly easy to install. My old pike I would switch between 130,140 and 160 as needed, no damper change!

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 7:51 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
konabigshed wrote:

The pike should only need a new air shaft that bumps it up to 140. They are dirt cheap and fairly easy to install. My old pike I would switch between 130,140 and 160 as needed, no damper change!

mine is converted too. I see no point in running a 120 on a bike like the 111. It's so NOT an XC whip, so make it more fun going down.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
I should have stated my fork started as a 160... but I think they are all the same just with different air shafts. I could be wrong though....

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
Thanks all, I’ll be getting new airshafts for the pike on the 111 and the Yari on my Genesis tarn 20. I’m also going to change the cassette to an 11/46 on the 111 to help me with the ups.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 13:38 Quote
Here is my 111 in its latest form, now with the fork at 140mm and a 1 degree Works headset. The combination of those two mods should have the head angle at 66 degrees, while keeping the rest of the bike with a couple mm's of stock. I also added a bottle cage in the correct location.

slacked

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 18:22 Quote
micah356 wrote:
Here is my 111 in its latest form, now with the fork at 140mm and a 1 degree Works headset. The combination of those two mods should have the head angle at 66 degrees, while keeping the rest of the bike with a couple mm's of stock. I also added a bottle cage in the correct location.

slacked

I'm surprised this wasn't a central topic last night.

are you thinking that a degree extra in the headset plus 20mm of extra suspension will have you at 66 degrees? I would have thought it close to 66 without the angleset.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 18:24 Quote
I think with the extra 20mm you get closer to 67. At least that is what I found on mine. An extra 1deg would have interesting... but what I found was that with the 140mm front fork I was always pushing harder and the rear end never kept up.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 18:28 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
I think with the extra 20mm you get closer to 67. At least that is what I found on mine. An extra 1deg would have interesting... but what I found was that with the 140mm front fork I was always pushing harder and the rear end never kept up.

I've been pretty much on just hardtails for 7 years, so any rear suspension feels like cheating going down and off stuff - I don't like it going up tight switchbacks though as sinking back in the shock throws me off my game.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 6:35 Quote
Jesse, true, I think at the time it seemed like complaining about the weather was more important.

The 140mm fork alone takes it to about 67, but also raises the bottom bracket quite a bit. The extra degree of head angle from the headset brings that back town almost to the original position. Having said that, yours started at 67 didn't it? So it is probably close to 66 now. Mine is a 2016 which came stock at 68 degrees.

I used this calculator to figure it out beforehand. I've since tried to measure the actual head angle from a photo, and got something like 65.8.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
Very interesting. My 2017 was based around a 130mm fork, but they don't list bb height so not sure if the same meansurement was maintained. It does say the BB drop was the same, so I'm assuming the 2017 had a higher bb height than the 2016 considering the longer fork, which means mine is even higher. That said, Kona usually goes pretty low, so still dont' find my bike with a 140 rides super tall.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 12:02 Quote
The bb height is probably the same - it was actually an entirely new frame, although it's hard to say for sure if they changed the actual frame head angle or not.

Bb drop and height are just the inverse measurement of the same thing.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
micah356 wrote:
The bb height is probably the same - it was actually an entirely new frame, although it's hard to say for sure if they changed the actual frame head angle or not.

Bb drop and height are just the inverse measurement of the same thing.

I thought BB height was the measurement of the BB to the ground, which leaves tire size as a variable, where as bb drop was the difference between the bb height and the axles. Kona lists both on the 2017 frame but not the 2016 I don't think which had me wondering. theoretically you could have BB lift if you liked pedalling above the axles haha

http://2017.konaworld.com/process_111.cfm

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 6:29 Quote
True, but the variation from tire size is pretty small, unless you put some really weird tires on.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025298
Mobile Version of Website