First time full-suspension 27.5 buyer. Looking for some help from PB crew!

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
First time full-suspension 27.5 buyer. Looking for some help from PB crew!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2017 at 9:41 Quote
Hey guys, first time buyer of a full-suspension bike. I've done my research and have some "favorites/ideas", but need the PB forum crew to help a brother out!

Looking to spend $1500-$2999+ (willing to go over a little for quality components).
Local (Minnesota) trails are a mix of AM trails and XC. A couple DH courses at local ski resorts. (I ride everything).
Looking for a 27.5 and medium frame. I'm 5'9" and weigh 165lbs.
I also visit Colorado/Utah every summer, where my family is from, and ride out there.
I'm not an XC racer. I participate in, the few there are, enduro comps in the area.

Favorites/Ideas I am considering...

Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Essential or trail version
Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 EX
YT Jeffsy AL 1 or 2
Giant Trance or Anthem

Any sort of advice or buying help? Drop it below! Thanks fellas!!!

Posted: Oct 26, 2017 at 20:14 Quote
I did a lot of research about a year ago when I was ready for a new bike. Tested Trek and Giant full suspension, and was considering buying a Stumpjumper but the dealer was pushing a Fuse hardtail 27.5 Fattie (3.0 tires) for a good deal.
My 1999 Rocky Mountain Element has been abused for many years and is still going strong, so I researched Rocky's current selection and narrowed it down to their Pipeline or Altitude. But there are no dealers selling Rockys where I live.

I ended up buying my 2014 Altitude 770 Rally Edition off Pinkbike for about what the new aluminum Fuse would have cost. The Altitude came with XTR brakes and drivetrain, dropper, oneUp 40t and tubeless - everything I wanted and in great shape.

So, if you are looking for a bike that will do everything with 160/150 mm travel check out RM's Altitude (or Pipeline if you want a Fattie tire, Altitudes are limited to 2.6 or 2.8. Mine came with the standard 2.4 tires and ride great).

I have been very pleased with the Altitude, and so is my daughter; when we ride together guess who rides the old Element. My Altitude is a Large frame, I'm 5'11" 190, Ride-9 in position 8, seat high. Daughter is 5'7" 135, Ride-9 position 1, seat 1/2 way up (she likes the dropper).

Posted: Nov 12, 2017 at 21:42 Quote
I would say the Meta AM would most likely be overkill. That thing is designed to kill descents in the alps, not ride singletrack. Giant anthem (or trance too) would probably work the best. Also consider the Meta TR, which is really stiff and slack but is easier to pedal.

Posted: Nov 14, 2017 at 6:40 Quote
Are you against buying used? You can get some amazing deals in that price range that are worth well over budget.

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2017 at 7:09 Quote
snowbound26 wrote:
Are you against buying used? You can get some amazing deals in that price range that are worth well over budget.
Not against buying used if I find a killer deal, but I know from experience that many bikes are ridden harder and more often then what the seller indicates which leads to headache problems with the bikes down the road.

Posted: Nov 14, 2017 at 10:17 Quote
For new in that price range I’d look at the YT Jeffsy 27.5 in Aluminum. Hard to beat for the price. Got to ride one recently and it’s a fun and very capable bike. For used I’d look for a GG Mega Trail or a Transition Patrol. I had a hard time deciding between Transition and GG nd ended up with a GG and couldn’t be happier. Full build new starts at $3200, but you can find used ones at a good price. It’s burly bike that can take a beating and shrug it off. What I really like is how playful they are while still being really stable at speed. I opted to size down for a more BMX like feel (5’9” which is a crossover size). I let someone who was 6’ try it the other day and he was loving it even though it was too small for him. Said he would love to see how stable it is one size bigger. They do run big for their size which gives room to size based on riding style.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 22:39 Quote
You could also take a look at british Bird. They offer custom bits 'n pieces to suit you likings.
Go for the Bird Aeris 120 to suit trail best.
Or take the Bird Aeris 145 for the enduro pack.

https://www.bird.bike

FL
Posted: Dec 11, 2017 at 10:24 Quote
Love my Banshee Rune. It is a very capable bike and extremely versatile. I'm running 26+ and 27.5 depending on my mood. I've heard people are running 2.6 27.5 but haven't had the tires on myself to verify. I'm running a 180 fork with 160 out back with head angle at 65.5. It's not super fast uphill but it doesn't feel like I'm pedaling in quicksand. I do have a fair number of pedal strikes but not many more than anything else I've ridden save my HT. It can run any dropout configuration you can think of. Frame graphics are a touch cheesy and the bikes have a tramp stamp on the seatube. The older model had three different geo setups. The new ones haves two. There are a lot of well apportioned used ones on here in your price range.

Posted: Dec 24, 2017 at 14:43 Quote
Have you considered Santa Cruz? 5010 R build in aluminum would fit your budget, though on the high end. I just came off one to go to a shorter travel bike.

Posted: Dec 25, 2017 at 5:26 Quote
You should be able to snag a foundation build spider 275c. It's a full carbon bike, much like a 5010 but a bit more modern geo.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017741
Mobile Version of Website