Maxle rear axle failure

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Maxle rear axle failure
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Oct 26, 2017 at 18:48 Quote
Looking for a replacement. Preferably not a quick release like this was.

This one fractured on the quick release side where the two small through holes are located on the main shaft.

The dimensions on it are 150x12mm

It is a 2012 GT fury 2.0.

Am I good to just get any 150/12 through axle?

Thanks.

Posted: Oct 29, 2017 at 10:08 Quote
Dimensions of the quick-release Maxle are

overall length: 180mm
thread length: 20mm
M12x1.75

Hub width:150mm

The dimensions of this appear to be boost given the available components despite the dropouts not actually having the boost notches. The dropouts are flat and measure 150mm on the inside dimensions.


Options for non Maxle(without quick release include)

Maxle rear stealth (is a non quick release skewered version, but appears to be a discontinued item)

https://www.modernbike.com/rockshox-maxle-stealth-rear-thru-axle-12x148-180mm-length-boost

https://fairwheelbikes.com/far-and-near-rear-thru-axle/

https://fairwheelbikes.com/carbon-ti-x-lock-12mm-rear-thru-axle/

http://robertaxleproject.com/what-axle-do-i-need/#1482625518225-af44cd10-1833


It's f*cking absurd that there are so many permutations and combinations of components. Owning one bicycle i've accumulated more tools than in my lifetime of owning numerous different age/make/model/style of motorcycles. Bicycle industry manufacturers are c*nts. Rant over.

Posted: Oct 29, 2017 at 21:49 Quote
Im sorry I can't tell you which thru axel you need but I can tell you your frame is not boost but 150mm which is usually found on some downhill bikes and my foes fxr

Posted: Oct 29, 2017 at 22:17 Quote
fxrextreme wrote:
Im sorry I can't tell you which thru axel you need but I can tell you your frame is not boost but 150mm which is usually found on some downhill bikes and my foes fxr
ugh please.




Teeff wrote:
Looking for a replacement. Preferably not a quick release like this was.

This one fractured on the quick release side where the two small through holes are located on the main shaft.

The dimensions on it are 150x12mm

It is a 2012 GT fury 2.0.

Am I good to just get any 150/12 through axle?

Thanks.

it might be easier to repair it. The GT fury uses a maxle that screws into the derailleur hanger. so it might be easier to just contact GT and ask them to warranty it or at leased help you with finding a maxle.
is this what the axle looks like? I don't think you're going to find the correct axle somewhere online. but you can try this; https://robertaxleproject.com/shop/lightning-bolt-on-axle-rear-12mm-x-180-mm-x-1-75-thread/ it looks promising. you'll probably have to add some spacers on the bolt side.


this site might work too.
https://fairwheelbikes.com/carbon-ti-x-lock-12mm-rear-thru-axle/
the Maxle 150 Flat 182mm 12x1.75 20mm 34g option

i've had used a 148 boost spacing axle for a norco shore before.
heres the one I used;
http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SM-AX76-B-12X148-Rear-Thru-Axle/
heres one with 1.75 thread pitch
http://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-Maxle-Ultimate-Boost-Rear-Axle/



and heres what the looks like the most compatible one.
http://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-Maxle-Lite-Rear-Skewer/

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 14:57 Quote
talk to mrp they make a bunch of replacement maxles in different sizes

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 15:31 Quote
adrennan wrote:
talk to mrp they make a bunch of replacement maxles in different sizes
bro. I just linked literally all the ones I could find. if you find a mrp one link it.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 15:40 Quote
False wrote:
adrennan wrote:
talk to mrp they make a bunch of replacement maxles in different sizes
bro. I just linked literally all the ones I could find. if you find a mrp one link it.

bro google is your friend https://www.mrpbike.com/race-axles/

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 16:04 Quote
adrennan wrote:
False wrote:
adrennan wrote:
talk to mrp they make a bunch of replacement maxles in different sizes
bro. I just linked literally all the ones I could find. if you find a mrp one link it.

bro google is your friend https://www.mrpbike.com/race-axles/
bro. provide a link.

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 20:02 Quote
Thanks for the responses, and the available options that have been linked.

The axles I linked should work despite not being boost. I'm aware the GT is non boost. It was made pre-boost standard as far as I"m aware. The boost standard should only really effect the hub, as long as the axle is the right overall length/threaded length and pitch it does the same thing.


Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 19:47 Quote
On my Reign I switched from a QR maxle to the "stealth" which seams much lighter/stronger.

This seems to be the size you'd need, not sure if thats what you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxle-Stealth-Rear-Thru-Axle/dp/B06XBG5FDN/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1510026342&sr=1-2&keywords=1.75+maxle+stealth

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 21:48 Quote
Vinchenzo51 wrote:
On my Reign I switched from a QR maxle to the "stealth" which seams much lighter/stronger.

This seems to be the size you'd need, not sure if thats what you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxle-Stealth-Rear-Thru-Axle/dp/B06XBG5FDN/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1510026342&sr=1-2&keywords=1.75+maxle+stealth
looks exactly like what he needs

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016217
Mobile Version of Website