Dumping the new DPX2?

PB Forum :: Fox Racing Shox
Dumping the new DPX2?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 9:40 Quote
I have been looking at changing the rear shock on my 5010V2 to the DPX2 and I have been keeping an eye in the used marketplace and it seems that there is quite a few "new/take offs".

Are people just not liking the shock, because the initial reviews were making it out to be pretty good.

Posted: Nov 10, 2017 at 9:41 Quote
I just purchased a DPX2 from a SB5.5 "takeoff" on pinkbike. In a nutshell I do not think it's all that.

I actually re-installed my previous Float X instead!!!

It does feel a little "more linear" per se however it does feel firmer from what I can tell (all air pressure, volume spacers being all equal). Just look at the overall packaging. It's smaller overall. The more packaging/air volume and oil flow, the more plushier feel/action per se. I am not a fan of things being too firm as I would just get an X2 to begin with for DH firm. I am after a more trail plush shock ride.

I wished Fox would have still kept the Float X in market and still offer the DPX2 for folks who want that Trail/DH transition feel. The DPS does not cut it for trail riding since it has a poppy feel to it.

The DPX2 has one adjuster assembly vs Float X2 having two. So all that oil flowing goes into just one common area. This allows for a nosier experience. Since my Yeti SB5.5 has a light compression valving as well as light rebound valving (due to nature of the Yeti Switch infinity geometry...it has a lower leverage ratio and hence needs to have light configuration), it makes A LOT and I mean A LOT of swishing sound and totally kills the trail ride experience. In addition, to make it even lighter since there is only one oil flow path and smaller packaging, they put a lower viscosity 5wt oil to further make even more noise! I will see about posting a video on the noise but it is at times unbearable! Seriously! Take a X2 noise and multiply it by 1000. That is how noisey it is! It's just not the compression action that makes noise, it's also the rebound. Just think...anytime the oil flows, it will make swishing sounds.

I called Fox and Yeti and have raised my concerns. Seems the only solution is to have a thicker viscosity oil and even lighter shimming/valving configuration. I have yet to try this out. I assume less splashing compared with a person swimming in regular pool water vs a pool full of molasses. However, I am not sure what it will do to the overall shock action feel. The Float X just has more air volume and supple feeling to it.

For my experience, I rather use a Float X for trail riding than DPX2. If I want DH, I would go for X2. None of this half pregnant thing. It's either you are pregnant or not pregnant.

Furthermore, install needle bearings on the eyelets as it will further increase the small bump compliance. I am not a fan of Fox's DU polymer bushings as the tolerance is just too tight! It's to the point that the hollow pin will not rotate about the inner surface of the DU bushing (the theory is to have the hollow pin rotate about the DU polymer bushing!) but instead the whole shock assembly will rotate about the side supports of the frame which is a no-no. I have called Fox regarding this and supposedly there is a tolerance issue with their current DU bushings. Will have to see about a fix. But by definition, the bearing or bushing is to allow the hollow pin to rotate freely within it.

You can check out this.
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id374.html

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 12:45 Quote
TSR497 wrote:
I have been looking at changing the rear shock on my 5010V2 to the DPX2 and I have been keeping an eye in the used marketplace and it seems that there is quite a few "new/take offs".

Are people just not liking the shock, because the initial reviews were making it out to be pretty good.
I noticed the same thing about the 2017 fox 34 from yeti, still bought one. Haven't tried it yet to see if i got suckered.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 20:00 Quote
Welp, I rolled the dice on a 2018 performance elite DPX2 take off from a Bronson for my 5010V2.

Yes, I’m aware that 57mm from the Bronson spec stoke the EVOL can will touch my top tube at full compression, I destroked the shock to 54mm using nylon washers as spacers, it doesn’t come close to the frame any more.

I also installed the needle bearing kit at the same time. So far it feels a lot better than the DPS, just more controlled through the stroke, but I have not gotten it out on the trail yet.

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 2:49 Quote
Hi LeverageRatio

I had the same experience as you with a DPX2 on my HTLT.
It has medium tune compression/rebound.
It felt overdamped and harsh as well as distractingly noisy. I swopped it for an old RP23 which I was much happier with. I want to change the shim stacks to light tune to reduce the harshness. I'm curious about using a thicker oil like you mentioned in order to reduce noise. Have you done any experimentation with this?

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

leverageRatio wrote:
I just purchased a DPX2 from a SB5.5 "takeoff" on pinkbike. In a nutshell I do not think it's all that.

I actually re-installed my previous Float X instead!!!

It does feel a little "more linear" per se however it does feel firmer from what I can tell (all air pressure, volume spacers being all equal). Just look at the overall packaging. It's smaller overall. The more packaging/air volume and oil flow, the more plushier feel/action per se. I am not a fan of things being too firm as I would just get an X2 to begin with for DH firm. I am after a more trail plush shock ride.

I wished Fox would have still kept the Float X in market and still offer the DPX2 for folks who want that Trail/DH transition feel. The DPS does not cut it for trail riding since it has a poppy feel to it.

The DPX2 has one adjuster assembly vs Float X2 having two. So all that oil flowing goes into just one common area. This allows for a nosier experience. Since my Yeti SB5.5 has a light compression valving as well as light rebound valving (due to nature of the Yeti Switch infinity geometry...it has a lower leverage ratio and hence needs to have light configuration), it makes A LOT and I mean A LOT of swishing sound and totally kills the trail ride experience. In addition, to make it even lighter since there is only one oil flow path and smaller packaging, they put a lower viscosity 5wt oil to further make even more noise! I will see about posting a video on the noise but it is at times unbearable! Seriously! Take a X2 noise and multiply it by 1000. That is how noisey it is! It's just not the compression action that makes noise, it's also the rebound. Just think...anytime the oil flows, it will make swishing sounds.

I called Fox and Yeti and have raised my concerns. Seems the only solution is to have a thicker viscosity oil and even lighter shimming/valving configuration. I have yet to try this out. I assume less splashing compared with a person swimming in regular pool water vs a pool full of molasses. However, I am not sure what it will do to the overall shock action feel. The Float X just has more air volume and supple feeling to it.

For my experience, I rather use a Float X for trail riding than DPX2. If I want DH, I would go for X2. None of this half pregnant thing. It's either you are pregnant or not pregnant.

Furthermore, install needle bearings on the eyelets as it will further increase the small bump compliance. I am not a fan of Fox's DU polymer bushings as the tolerance is just too tight! It's to the point that the hollow pin will not rotate about the inner surface of the DU bushing (the theory is to have the hollow pin rotate about the DU polymer bushing!) but instead the whole shock assembly will rotate about the side supports of the frame which is a no-no. I have called Fox regarding this and supposedly there is a tolerance issue with their current DU bushings. Will have to see about a fix. But by definition, the bearing or bushing is to allow the hollow pin to rotate freely within it.

You can check out this.
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id374.html

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 11:16 Quote
TSR497 wrote:
Welp, I rolled the dice on a 2018 performance elite DPX2 take off from a Bronson for my 5010V2.

Yes, I’m aware that 57mm from the Bronson spec stoke the EVOL can will touch my top tube at full compression, I destroked the shock to 54mm using nylon washers as spacers, it doesn’t come close to the frame any more.

I also installed the needle bearing kit at the same time. So far it feels a lot better than the DPS, just more controlled through the stroke, but I have not gotten it out on the trail yet.

How do you like it so far? Any tuning thoughts/suggestions? Just ordered a 200x57 for my 5010v2. No needle bearings yet, but we’ll see. Thanks!

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 12:59 Quote
dubxion wrote:
How do you like it so far? Any tuning thoughts/suggestions? Just ordered a 200x57 for my 5010v2. No needle bearings yet, but we’ll see. Thanks!

I have gotten quite a few rides in on it now. It came with the smallest air volume spacer first and I was disappointed at first because it seemed like I was hunting pressures still between not enough and too much, I went up two sizes volume spacers and that made the bike more suitable to my liking for mid and end stroke ramp up. Over all I feel like the 5010 slightly looses some of that pop the DPS has but it makes up almost every where else with consistency and control. Dont get me wrong the bike is still very playful, it just feel better landing from jumps now. I really like that the firm setting has that "blow off" feature in case you find your self in unexpected bumps but then returns to firm.

The needle bearings are nice but I am not sure how much I can actually tell because the shock and bearing came at the same time.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 19:03 Quote
TSR497 wrote:
I destroked the shock to 54mm using nylon washers as spacers.

Can you tell me size of nylon washer, and where you got that from?

Thanks

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
woodsroamer wrote:
Can you tell me size of nylon washer, and where you got that from?

Thanks

Sorry, haven’t been on for a while.

I used M10 ID metric nylon washers from Home Depot/ Lowe’s/ etc, the inner shaft is 10mm. Pretty much all of those washers are going to have an Outer Diameter that’s bigger than the step down on the volume reducer for the bearing head(if you are using a reducer), so I just took a pair of clippers and cut down the OD until I could fit the washer inside the volume spacer. Then I cut a slit in the washer so I could slide it on the shaft.

I think the smallest volume reducer doesn’t have the step down, so in that case you would not have to reduce the OD, just like if you are running no volume reducer, just cut a slit, install, and go.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016353
Mobile Version of Website