Enduro race on a downhill bike?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Enduro race on a downhill bike?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 31, 2017 at 20:02 Quote
Been wanting to do an enduro race for a while, but I can't afford a new bike, and only have a dh bike.

I know I wouldn't have a chance at winning (even with the best enduro bike) but would it be possible to complete a enduro on a dh bike? The bike in question is my 2012 airborne taka.

What u guys think? Is it possible to finish in a reasonable time?

Posted: Oct 31, 2017 at 20:15 Quote
Echo20trials wrote:
Been wanting to do an enduro race for a while, but I can't afford a new bike, and only have a dh bike.

I know I wouldn't have a chance at winning (even with the best enduro bike) but would it be possible to complete a enduro on a dh bike? The bike in question is my 2012 airborne taka.

No,

Posted: Oct 31, 2017 at 20:59 Quote
Echo20trials wrote:

If you had some impressive fitness to boot I don't see why not. I've done a bunch of trail riding on a downhill bike before I got an enduro, my suggestion is to tighten up on your shock rebound adjustment so it doesn't bob as horribly while pedaling, and pace yourself well enough on climbs to make up your time on the descent because you won't be keeping up with the pack uphill.

Posted: Oct 31, 2017 at 21:06 Quote
Angelo18 wrote:
Echo20trials wrote:

If you had some impressive fitness to boot I don't see why not. I've done a bunch of trail riding on a downhill bike before I got an enduro, my suggestion is to tighten up on your shock rebound adjustment so it doesn't bob as horribly while pedaling, and pace yourself well enough on climbs to make up your time on the descent because you won't be keeping up with the pack uphill.

you wouldn't be able to make it in-between stages, as enduro races are only timed on descents

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 5:11 Quote
Would I be able to just push it up the hills? That how I ride anyway. Push, shred, repeat.

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 6:31 Quote
Echo20trials wrote:
Would I be able to just push it up the hills? That how I ride anyway. Push, shred, repeat.

Do you know what races you'd want to compete in? Enduro races range from 10 miles of trail with lift and shuttle assist to 30+ miles of hard riding.

Also, many races have time cutoffs that DQ you if you don't make it to certain stages within an allotted time...

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 7:32 Quote
If no timed or time limited transfers on the course, then go for it. Seen several DH bikes used by others in your situation during some of the ESC courses. Sure they got punished on the few pedally sections of the timed stages, but they still had a great time during the event and finished with smiles on their faces Big Grin

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 9:50 Quote
So with that said. Anyone know of some enduros near Sutton West Virginia? And how do I find enduros?

FL
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 16:58 Quote
Yeah, give it a try at least. I think if you wanna pedal up a DH bike, a cassette with some big cogs and a shock with lockout/pedal position is mandatory. Liasion stages will be too long to push, most likely.
Also it depends on the type of race. My local races have pretty relaxed liasion times, so even slow riders can make it in time.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 17:59 Quote
That too, but geometry comparing an enduro bike and a DH bike is so massive. Just compare a 63 degree headangle and 70.5 degree seat angle with a 66 degree HA and 75 degree HA. That makes a huge difference, and I'd be surprised if you don't wheelie up the hill sitting down.

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 5:59 Quote
There was a guy that done the Ard Rock Enduro 2016 on a Santa Cruz V10. Looked dead after 5 stages and 45km. But he did it. Don't know how he got on mind.

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 6:29 Quote
My DH bike geo is. 66 degree head angle, 60 degree seat tube angle.

Would it be possible to install a angle set backwards?

FL
Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 14:58 Quote
Sure it is, but 66° is fine for enduro, on the other hand, 60° ST... that's very slack, once you rise the saddle to pedal you'd be on top of the rear axle. You could use a setback post mounted the oposite to intended and slam the saddle in the front. That'd give you a few degrees more.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 15:25 Quote
What bike do you own? That's awfully steep for a short bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011589
Mobile Version of Website