2018 Smuggler WTF?!?!

PB Forum :: Transition
2018 Smuggler WTF?!?!
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 22:00 Quote
So I had a shop weigh a large 2018 Smuggler today and she was 34 pounds exactly on their digital scale. I rode her around the lot and she felt good plus the rear shock had a nice firm setting to take the edge off the climbs. She looks to be the perfect cross between a Process 111 and a Stumpjumper 29 (my last 2 bikes, both great but way different).

But what the hell? I love the philosophy behind the bike and dream of shortish travel aggressive 29ers but I’m a little put off by the weight of this burly (but capable) 120/140 bike.

Should I write it off? Should I buy it? Damn there are dh bikes out there that weigh 34 pounds!

All experienced riders, nerds, arm chair engineers, and Transition riders please weigh in.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 22:07 Quote
That seems wayyy too heavy for a modern day XC/AM bike. You can get lighter and better bikes for the similar price. If you're looking at purchasing a 29'er, consider a Jeffsy. I've only heard good things about those.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 10:47 Quote
Right?! Yeah that’s one option I’m considering.

A CF Jeffsy is $4K, full carbon frame, good spec, same geo as my Stumpy, and a similar size to this weighs 3-4 pounds less, which is massive.

I do like everything else about this Smuggler tho. I think a carbon version will be a winner but wonder how big the market really is for a shortish travel uber aggressive 29er.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 11:38 Quote
curious what build it was? There is probably a pretty big difference in weight between the xo1 build and the NX build. I have a 2017 smuggler custom with all hope components and carbon wheels and it comes in at 28 pounds. I think the biggest weight penalty is the frame, these aren't lightweight carbon frames. They are strong frames that are designed to take a beating. I think its an all around fun bike and I suspect that I am faster on it going both down and up than I was on my 26 inch intense carbine sl that was a few pounds lighter.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 13:28 Quote
It was the $4k build. GX?

Yes. The components are what they are. Functional and perform well. The frame looks stout AF, lovely welds, lotsa material. Overbuilt? I’d expect 32-32.5 from a bike like this. But it is what it is. Could definitely lighten it up a little with a carbon wheelset eventually.

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 14:06 Quote
I was considering a smuggler coming from a Process 134DL, but that weight scares me a bit. That's heavier than my XL Process with XT and not anything special for wheels.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 18:45 Quote
I spent a full day on the base level 134 which weighed 33-ish. It handled great on tech terrain but damn the weight was super noticeable. It did have a shite shock that bobbed a ton so that for sure made me feel the weight even more.

A part of me wants to say f-you the Smuggler rips deal with it and lighten her up a little eventually.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 20:06 Quote
I got my xo1 build a few days ago. She tipped the scale at just over 31#. My previous rig was a carboned out 5010cc v2 at a svelt 27.5#. The smuggler is a better/faster climber. I was nervous about the weight, but she's stiff, no energy lost to flex. Honestly not sure if I'd bother spending the coin on a carbon version, if/When that happens.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 8:50 Quote
Nice! I’ll compare specs and see where the weight savings comes from. 31 ain’t no thang.

Size?

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 11:31 Quote
Most of the weight difference is probably fork, wheels and cassette. I wonder if the 18 frame is a bit heavier than the 17. My 17 is mid 28 pounds, but that’s with a bathroom scale so probably not that accurate.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2017 at 8:50 Quote
I’m sure it is. I looked at a 2017 next to a 2018 and the new model looked beefier. Especially the linkage and rear triangle. Still lotsa material in the head tube junction area too. That frame’s not gonna break.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 4, 2017 at 22:59 Quote
orbwheels wrote:
I wonder if the 18 frame is a bit heavier than the 17.

Transition said they're about a pound heavier when I asked. Should survive a nuclear attack tho.

FL
Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 18:02 Quote
Weight is only one of many factors. I have ordered a 2018 Smuggler and I’m sure it will be heavier than my 2017 Slash, and pedal considerably better! (Even with the coil shock I have coming for it)

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 6:13 Quote
I just got the new Patrol with a GX build. It’s no featherweight but 34 seems excessive. I’m telling you, this SBG thing is legit. There are lighter bikes, but that’s only part of the equation. I definitely wouldn’t write the smuggler off. Especially if you’re an aggressive rider who favors bigger hits and gnarlier descents. If you’re looking to put in lots of miles on mellow trails, a lighter option may be better. But again, I wouldn’t write these off just because of weight.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011712
Mobile Version of Website