2018 Smuggler WTF?!?!

PB Forum :: Transition
2018 Smuggler WTF?!?!
Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 7:17 Quote
BiNARYBiKE wrote:
I just got the new Patrol with a GX build. It’s no featherweight but 34 seems excessive. I’m telling you, this SBG thing is legit. There are lighter bikes, but that’s only part of the equation. I definitely wouldn’t write the smuggler off. Especially if you’re an aggressive rider who favors bigger hits and gnarlier descents. If you’re looking to put in lots of miles on mellow trails, a lighter option may be better. But again, I wouldn’t write these off just because of weight.

I'm also waiting for a GX Patrol, and have some changes in mind for the future.

Off with the tubes, a proper pair of wheels and maybe a carbon bar and you'll be near or under 32 pounds with it!

I'm also taking off the Sram codes and replacing them with my beloved MT5'S, that are much lighter...

Posted: Nov 9, 2017 at 10:51 Quote
I just built up an NX Scout at 34 lbs in the shop and built up my personal Patrol at 31 lbs. They are stout bikes. It rides light. I'm coming off of a Carbon Scout that was 28 lbs. for reference. I honestly don't notice the weight on climbs, but I'm also 200 lbs and save my energy for the downhill. All that being said, I would like a lighter bike, but I talked myself out of a Pivot Switchblade last season because of the weight and then I brought in a demo and spent a lot of time on it. That's the only reason I bought the Patrol, because last season I decided that I would let weight numbers determine my experience. I'm still strongly considering adding a GX Smuggler. One of the best handling bikes out there and much more capable than the numbers read. That includes weight and suspension travel numbers.

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 at 19:32 Quote
Looking to buy a smuggler for my wife cause I can get a deal on them. She is NOT an aggressive rider but I think the SBG stuff should just make for an easy bike to ride and learn on. Would you agree or do you think a scout would be a better first bike. She loved my dad's 2017 scout when she borrowed it for a test ride. But I figured the new smuggler would be a better all around bike than the scout.

Posted: Nov 12, 2017 at 21:45 Quote
The smuggler is the poor mans evil following. Too bad they couldn't make it lighter. I don't understand how it came to weigh so much- no weird linkages or burly tubes, it's hydroformed with high quality alloy...

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2017 at 8:42 Quote
EKrum -> if I were in your spot I’d consider a more boring option for a beginner like the Camber or Fuel EX both in 29. Both those are very capable beginner bikes with a nice cushy ride and margin of error without the heft of a Smuggler. But if u want her on a bike that you can borrow and shred on occasion I'd consider a Smuggler Smile

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2017 at 8:53 Quote
bridger - the welds are substantial though so when you see the frame in person it’s just all kinds of burly.

I reckon at 200g per tube you’re dropping almost a pound by going tubeless plus a little in the pedals. So if I took her home the Smuggler GX drops to 33 pounds before i hit the trail.

I also have a custom built project321 / LB carbon rear wheel that would shave a little off the rear end too. Maybe an eventual cassette and crank upgrade would get me to 32 pounds which is fine.

Posted: Nov 22, 2017 at 23:02 Quote
Lol! Whats a couple pounds. Just dont eat that 2lb breakfast burrito before you ride, problem solved.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 12:14 Quote
Carbon Smuggler!!!!

Problem solved.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 13:52 Quote
So if your looking for an AM/trail bike, forget transition, you'll be wanting it to be lighter if u do buy it, even w carbon wheels. Makes u eant multiple bikes foe the occasion. Hmm

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 15:33 Quote
Unless its rotational weight it means nothing. water bottle spare/tools and your belly weigh tons more than the difference in frame weight between similar bikes. Don't even think about it. Scout is awesome, hope the smuggler is more of the same.

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 20:20 Quote
So does anyone own the new carbon smuggler yet? Really considering this for my next bike.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2018 at 7:59 Quote
I own a carbon smuggler. XL tips the scales at 29lbs. But...I spent a ton of dough on it. still could lose a little more with a set of carbon wheels.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2018 at 15:29 Quote
@garrisond5

What tipped you towards the Smuggler? Out of curiosity did you consider the Sentinel also?

O+
Posted: May 3, 2018 at 20:57 Quote
@wasatchenduro

The Smuggler ticked all the boxes.I wanted an aggressive short travel 29er and have been thinking about the smuggler for a couple years. After the new version came out I was immediately sold. I ordered the GX build aluminum model in December. I immediately had them trash the Sram brakes and horrible reverb post for Saints and a KS post. When the carbon one dropped I changed up everything and went full custom. It's really a very capable bike especially with huge brakes and huge suspension (Fox 36 fork, DPX2 shock). I came off a Norco sight that was 160/140 and the smuggler is probably a more capable bike. It just really wants to go fast. The sentinel is cool but for the majority of my riding the smuggler is plenty of bike. I like flowy jump lines and techy rocks.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2018 at 14:24 Quote
@garrisond5

I demoed an aluminum Sentinel GX over the weekend. Will add some thoughts over in that thread. I'm guessing 34 lbs set up tubeless. Weight was very noticeable but the damn thing still climbed very respectably and descended well. Extreme geo was no big deal. All around it felt great..... except for the weight. Potentially a carbon one in my future. Didn't feel like too much bike so might be leaning that way over the Smuggler. Gotta demo a Smuggler now!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015703
Mobile Version of Website