Commencal meta 4.2 or Radon swoop 170 9.0

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Commencal meta 4.2 or Radon swoop 170 9.0
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 5, 2017 at 7:15 Quote
Hi guys.

Need you advice.

So, I sold my old Canyon Spectral and now I can't decide which bike to buy: Commencal meta 4.2 essential 2018 or Radon swoop 170 9.0 2018. My budget is up to 3k euros. Both of these bikes are awesome. I was looking for a bike for "day to day" riding, bike parks and one per year visit Finale Ligure.

My height is 191 cm and weight around 90 kg. So I'm considering XL frame on Commencal meta 4.2 and 20" on Radon Swoop 170.
My style of riding more aggressive trail rather than aggressive enduro Smile

The thing which stopping me from buying Commecal is heel issue. I don't have a chance to test this bike in my local area (I live in Poland). But I read a lot articles were tall guys with foot around 10-11 inches have this issue. I don't' know if in 2018 they changed the geometry in rear triange to fix this.

Radon swoop 170 - it has RaceFace Aeffect crank with 36/26. As far as I know, almost all modern trail/enduro bikes has 1x11 or 1x12. On my previous Canyon Spectral I had Shimano Deore 22/36 and after 1 year of riding I had issue with teeth on crankset. Because of constant switching, teeth on crankset were sanded down. Few of them were broken with time. So I'm not sure if it's worth to buy 2x crank or not. + less teeth - less problems, more easy to support.
Or maybe with time I can change it to 1x, but do I need to change the rear derailleur then as well?

Well anyway, that's my concerns regarding these bikes.
I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 5, 2017 at 11:29 Quote
I owned a Meta V4 it's the only bike I have ever been properly disappointed in and so sold the frame on after 6 months, dreadful rear end flex and weird sizing Went NS Snabb T that's infinitely better, now just got a Radon Swoop 170 and it's much better than the V4 was. V4.2 is supposed to be better but I don't see enough change in the rear triangle for it to be of interest.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 18:55 Quote
I can't speak for the radon, but having had a v4 , I personally think it's one of the best most capable bikes I've ever rode. I did not notice any flex in the rear triangle, I found it a solid bike. Climbing was very well.

As for the 2x set up on the swoop, (In my opinion) that is way out dated. With the 11sp and 12sp cassettes now there is just no reason to have a 2x up front. I don't know of any trail bikes that come with a 2x anymore. But if you switched to a 1x you would not have to change your derailleur. Just shortening your chain is all you would have to do.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 22:23 Quote
Yes not quite sure why you'd choose a 2x Swoop when they offer most versions as 1x.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 22:57 Quote
I own a Swoop and have briefly ridden a 4.2.

Both are large but the 4.2 feels tiny. It feels ridiculously short in reach but then the Swoop is one of the largest bikes on the market.

Comparing like for like, i think the swoop's are better spec'd and cheaper.

Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 7:56 Quote
Thanks for your opinion guys. I chose swoop 170 9.0.
http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/mountainbike/fullsuspension/swoop-170/swoop-170-90/
Waiting for delivery.

Basically, my choice was based on the price Smile it's ridiculously, but only swoop 9.0 has 2x crankset :/

But I'm going to change it to 1x. Just don't know which front chainring I should keep on the bike, bigger or smaller?

Posted: Nov 9, 2017 at 5:54 Quote
Neither. If you are going to buy a new cassette spend a little more and get a new 30t or 32t chainring. Keeping the old chainrings would be a poor compromise.

Posted: Nov 11, 2017 at 1:10 Quote
OnkleJoachim wrote:
Neither. If you are going to buy a new cassette spend a little more and get a new 30t or 32t chainring. Keeping the old chainrings would be a poor compromise.

Thanks for advice. I was thinking to change only the chainring to raceface narrow wide 30t. But leave my current cassete on the bike.

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2017 at 23:00 Quote
Let me throw in yet another choice in the trail/AM world - sort of in your pricerange

Bird Aeris 145 GX Eagle 12speed

I've put the bike together on their site using these bit's n' pieces:

Fork: Rock Shox Pike 150mm RC Boost 2018
Damper: Rock Shox RT3
Drivetrain: Sram GX Eagle 12 speed - complete group
Brakes: Sram Guide R on 180/160
Dropper: Rock Shox Reverb Stealth 150 w/ 1X remote
Wheels: Hope Tech 35W on Pro4 hubs
Tyres: DHF 2.3 EXO and DHRII 2.3 EXO
Stem: RaceFace Aeffect 35 40mm
Bar: RaceFace NEXT 35 Carbon bar

Price is 3390euro

http://www.bird.bike/product-category/shop/complete-bikes/aeris-145/

Posted: Nov 11, 2017 at 23:43 Quote
Thorjensen wrote:
Let me throw in yet another choice in the trail/AM world - sort of in your pricerange

Bird Aeris 145 GX Eagle 12speed

I've put the bike together on their site using these bit's n' pieces:

Fork: Rock Shox Pike 150mm RC Boost 2018
Damper: Rock Shox RT3
Drivetrain: Sram GX Eagle 12 speed - complete group
Brakes: Sram Guide R on 180/160
Dropper: Rock Shox Reverb Stealth 150 w/ 1X remote
Wheels: Hope Tech 35W on Pro4 hubs
Tyres: DHF 2.3 EXO and DHRII 2.3 EXO
Stem: RaceFace Aeffect 35 40mm
Bar: RaceFace NEXT 35 Carbon bar

Price is 3390euro

http://www.bird.bike/product-category/shop/complete-bikes/aeris-145/

How can you build a bike and choose Guide R brakes?

Posted: Nov 11, 2017 at 23:56 Quote
and 35mm wide rims and 2.3 maxxis tyres.

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 at 1:17 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
and 35mm wide rims and 2.3 maxxis tyres.

Hahahaha... Touche - total brainfart Beer

Regarding brakes, I haven't ever ridden Sram and since you can't chose Shimano I didn't change it.

Anyways nice to have some spot on readers Wink

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010270
Mobile Version of Website