Rear hub advice needed

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Rear hub advice needed
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 19:07 Quote
Hey guys....new guy looking for some rear hub help. I looked all over this site for info, as well as a few others, and I found bits and pieces of good info, but I'm not sure if they apply to my application.

I recently bought a Unreal Cycles Senior with horizontal/track end rear dropouts. It currently has Unreal Cycles adapters that slide into place and bolted on in order to run a derailleur, which it currently does. The current hub is a 10x135mm Planet X Dog, with axle ends to fit a standard 5x135mm qr skewer.

The adapters have 10mm-diameter, un-threaded through holes, which the hub's axle ends slip into to center and secure the wheel. But, it's kind of a pain to remove the wheel....I either have to pry apart the chain stays far enough to release the axle ends, or unbolt the dropout adapter on the non-drive side, pry the chain stay out a bit and angle the wheel out. Getting the wheel back on is another pain onto itself.

I'm looking to simplify the entire process by swapping the current hub with a 10x135mm thru axle type, with a 10mm thru axle skewer to secure the wheel. Is this technically feasible? Will the free hub/cassette and brake disc still line up in the exact position as the Planet X hub?

The hub I'm looking to use is a used, but in good condition,10x135mm thru axle Sun Ringle Demon 2 with a Superstar Components 10mm QR through axle.

I've read where others have done something similar to this, but I'm not sure if they did exactly this. Can't find any pics of their setups either....only 12 x 135mm thru axle setups.
Thanks in advance.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 7:29 Quote
post pictures when you get a chance. that is a lot to follow in writing. it sounds like a 10x135 bolt on would be the way to go if i read that right

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 9:13 Quote
Alright....check this out.....
This is how it looks from the non-drive side with the standard 5mm qr installed. You can see the adjustable horizontal dropout adapter bolted on....

Here's how it looks without the qr. You can see the axle end of the hub in the dropout's 10mm hole.....

Here's how it looks from the rear. The hub's axle ends slot into the 10mm holes to hold the wheel in place.....

So basically, I want to go from this current setup......

....to this setup with a 10mmx135mm thru axle hub and a 10mm diameter thru QR skewer

I'd like to be able to simply slide the wheel in between the frame dropouts, line up the axle holes with the holes in the dropout and slide a 10mm QR skewer all the way through.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 9:30 Quote
ok i see whats going on. i am fairly certain a 135x10 bolt on would be the way to go. quick releases suck.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 9:57 Quote
When you say bolt on axle, do you mean a bolt through axle with a locking nut on either end....like BMX-style?
I'm talking about a 10mm thick QR axle that can slide through the frame and hub and secures with a nut on the end. This makes it easier to repair flats out on the trails. Also, I don't have to carry wrenches or sockets.

So, technically it would work?

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 10:07 Quote
i am just not sure how a qr style axle works in sliding dropouts like that. like does it hold tight enough to not slide out. you can do what i believe are called volcano bolts that use a 6mm or 8mm to undo the bolts holding the axle on.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 10:56 Quote
The thing with volcano bolts is that they have to thread into the hub's axle. The hub's axle will still have to slot into the dropouts, which I'm trying to avoid. The hub I'm looking to use is un-threaded and hollow so that a 10mm qr axle can slide through.

This is the actual hub that I plan to use (which I haven't bought yet).... 135mm end to end, with a thru opening of 10mm.

This is the actual Cro-Mo 10mm QR....

I would think it should be just as strong as my current setup, as well as hold just as tight. The two allen bolts that hold each of the dropout adapters look to be fairly stout, measuring at 5mm x 12mm

Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 13:37 Quote
All my answers speak to my experience. Sounds like you are pretty determined on this hub so give it a shot.

Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 21:22 Quote
I certainly appreciate your help, adrennan.

As a matter of fact, my plan changed. I went to my lbs today and they were able to test fit to the frame a DT Swiss 350 10mm X 135mm, with the endcap conversion kit QR to 10mm thru bolt, and a chromoly 10mm QR axle. Apparently that's their go-to setup whenever someone walks in wanting to add gears on their SS,DJ bikes.

Everything lined up perfectly and cinched down tight....definitely far stiffer than the current setup. I did consider the bolt-on axle (because it was slightly less expensive), but this way is a bit more convenient, especially when dealing with flats out on the trails.

Posted: Nov 10, 2017 at 5:21 Quote
Get a Hope Pro - I've tried more expensive and less. This is the best hub for the $ hands down.

Solid axle, loud, stiff and I'm on a 7 year old Pro2 currently. Going to order some Pro4's this winter just to clean up my ride.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/hope-pro-4-mtb-rear-hub-single-speed-trials/rp-prod145304

Posted: Nov 10, 2017 at 7:57 Quote
k-dubbb wrote:
Get a Hope Pro - I've tried more expensive and less. This is the best hub for the $ hands down.

Solid axle, loud, stiff and I'm on a 7 year old Pro2 currently. Going to order some Pro4's this winter just to clean up my ride.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/hope-pro-4-mtb-rear-hub-single-speed-trials/rp-prod145304

Yeah, I was also looking at the Pro 4 online. My lbs doesn't stock Hope, only DTswiss, Chris King, Nukeproof and a couple of other brands. The link you posted is for the SS/trials version, though....the 135mm/Shimano freehub QR version in black is out of stock. But that price, plus the price of the 10mm end cap conversion, would put it at just under
$200 US. That's about the same price as the DT Swiss 350 with the same conversion.

I've read both positive and negative reviews about both hubs, and in terms of reliability and price, they both appear to be about equal. Have you had any experience with the DT Swiss 350?

Posted: Nov 11, 2017 at 7:16 Quote
you have it sorted out, dt350 is a solid hub, hope as well, both top tier, there arent many 135x10 hubs these days, most are 135x12 and require a step down axle which wouldnt be as useful in your situation
one thing i would recommend is the dt rws 10mm axle rather than a 10mm qr, subtle difference but much better clamping force for a horizontal dropout, and really a bolt in axle would be best, hadley makes a 10mm one i believe

personally i am running a bhs (rebranded bitex) 135x10 hub with dt rws on a vertical dropout fs bike and also running a 135x12 hub with a stans bolt on step down axle on a dj frame with horizontal drops, both work great

Posted: Nov 11, 2017 at 9:28 Quote
forty0 wrote:
you have it sorted out, dt350 is a solid hub, hope as well, both top tier, there arent many 135x10 hubs these days, most are 135x12 and require a step down axle which wouldnt be as useful in your situation
one thing i would recommend is the dt rws 10mm axle rather than a 10mm qr, subtle difference but much better clamping force for a horizontal dropout, and really a bolt in axle would be best, hadley makes a 10mm one i believe

personally i am running a bhs (rebranded bitex) 135x10 hub with dt rws on a vertical dropout fs bike and also running a 135x12 hub with a stans bolt on step down axle on a dj frame with horizontal drops, both work great

Yeah, I think that's the setup I'm ultimately going to go with. My lbs says they can do the hub and axle, as well as the swap/wheel true for $250 out the door. Not a bad deal.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007919
Mobile Version of Website