E bike sightings

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 at 21:57 Quote
Alexmtb12 wrote:
saw one out at my local trails, dude was towing those little trailers for bikes with tools, so the way i see it, using it to tow to repair or dig new trails isnt a bad thing

Trail building and maintenance, hadn't thought of that. Seems like an excellent use

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 0:48 Quote
How i see it, if you aren’t being a douche and disrespecting the trails or trail users, then i couldn’t care less what you’re riding.
It’s just happens to be easier to do be a disrespectful douche on an E-bike.

But if you aren’t, then more power to you!

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 9:31 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
How i see it, if you aren’t being a douche and disrespecting the trails or trail users, then i couldn’t care less what you’re riding.

highly agree. especially the part about it being easier to be a douche, theres this guy that frequents my local on a haibike and is such an ass about it. in a place where sharing trails with bikes is already not loved, a guy blazing up AND down past hikers at 20 mph is really looking to get bike privileges taken away for everyone.
not too hard to just use e bikes on long big mountain rides rather than trail loops, as that's really what they're made for

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 9:44 Quote
sosburn wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

highly agree. especially the part about it being easier to be a douche, theres this guy that frequents my local on a haibike and is such an ass about it. in a place where sharing trails with bikes is already not loved, a guy blazing up AND down past hikers at 20 mph is really looking to get bike privileges taken away for everyone.
not too hard to just use e bikes on long big mountain rides rather than trail loops, as that's really what they're made for
its fine even if youre doing short trail laps, you just have to be courteous just like everyone else should. Slow down and say hi around hikers and other trail users, and don't irresponsibly blast around turns or skid. its just inherently easier to do these things on an E-bike due to the higher speed and torque.

I know people on my local trails who ride E bikes and everyone loves em, because they follow proper trail etiquette, don't post on strava, and help out with maintenance.
on the other hand there are also lots of people on regular bikes who i cant stand seeing in the woods. who blast down the trail with no regard for anyone else, dont say hi, and never help out.

TLDR-
Just be a good person and trail user and it doesnt matter what you're riding or doing.

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 10:14 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
sosburn wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

its fine even if youre doing short trail laps, you just have to be courteous just like everyone else should. Slow down and say hi around hikers and other trail users, and don't irresponsibly blast around turns or skid. its just inherently easier to do these things on an E-bike due to the higher speed and torque.

I know people on my local trails who ride E bikes and everyone loves em, because they follow proper trail etiquette, don't post on strava, and help out with maintenance.
on the other hand there are also lots of people on regular bikes who i cant stand seeing in the woods. who blast down the trail with no regard for anyone else, dont say hi, and never help out.

TLDR-
Just be a good person and trail user and it doesnt matter what you're riding or doing.

Man I wish everybody took this attitude! Awesome way to think. Dont be a douche no matter what you ride and we all can co-exist in the woods and in the mountains all happy like. I just dont get the hate by so many on this site. Many guys I know (all mid 40's) who ride HARD all are looking at ebikes one of these days. These are dudes that make your eyes bleed on an MTB if you try to hang with them.....I get dropped right out of the trail head by these guys (I like to think Im not that slow either). Makes me think its pretty legit to get some assist now and then without causing a big in bred fight between people who all just love time on the saddle.

Signs at the trailheads should all just read "Dont be a Douche". That should get the point across!!!

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 16:03 Quote
i can see the merits of ebikes for certain people say the elderly or those with injuries but for everyone else no....

i dislike the whole "i want to cover more trail argument as i am busy" why is your time more precious than anyone elses and enough to warrant an ebike purchase? just do what everyone else does you allow what time you have and you ride what you can whats wrong with that. For example you have a long commute to work but dont have much free time and work long hours then why shouldn't you buy a fast car and speed everywhere because you know your an important and busy person with kids who you need to spend time with and stuff so its ok....no i dont think so.
NOTE: I do concede that the uplift thing is different in some ways if your using this for dh but for xc and trail riding nope.

I am soooo tired of the same old "have you ridden one yet" or the "you still have to pedal one to move" excuses i hear daily......or the best ones "you still get a decent workout" or even "there only limited to 16mph" really do you truly believe this or are you just defending your purchase or your ego rather than admitting that we humans are lazy and always looking for an easy way out.......i bet if i tried a moto x bike on my local trails it would be a blast to go faster but thats not what this sport is about and it would be wrong to allow for motors and motor assists to get this (excluding the exceptions mentioned)

i saw a guy who was 20 years my senior rip past me up a climb in wales whilst wearing jeans and trainers on a heavy looking ebike so i dont buy into the limited to 16mph bullshit that everyone spouts.

oh and if you strava on an ebike and post your times on the non ebike times you should go bow your head in shame.

FL
Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 9:16 Quote
rabidmonkfish wrote:
i can see the merits of ebikes for certain people say the elderly or those with injuries but for everyone else no....

i dislike the whole "i want to cover more trail argument as i am busy" why is your time more precious than anyone elses and enough to warrant an ebike purchase? just do what everyone else does you allow what time you have and you ride what you can whats wrong with that. For example you have a long commute to work but dont have much free time and work long hours then why shouldn't you buy a fast car and speed everywhere because you know your an important and busy person with kids who you need to spend time with and stuff so its ok....no i dont think so.
NOTE: I do concede that the uplift thing is different in some ways if your using this for dh but for xc and trail riding nope.

I am soooo tired of the same old "have you ridden one yet" or the "you still have to pedal one to move" excuses i hear daily......or the best ones "you still get a decent workout" or even "there only limited to 16mph" really do you truly believe this or are you just defending your purchase or your ego rather than admitting that we humans are lazy and always looking for an easy way out.......i bet if i tried a moto x bike on my local trails it would be a blast to go faster but thats not what this sport is about and it would be wrong to allow for motors and motor assists to get this (excluding the exceptions mentioned)

i saw a guy who was 20 years my senior rip past me up a climb in wales whilst wearing jeans and trainers on a heavy looking ebike so i dont buy into the limited to 16mph bullshit that everyone spouts.

oh and if you strava on an ebike and post your times on the non ebike times you should go bow your head in shame.

Where do I start, first off Strava is a tool for destroying fun!! I get it, I’m on it but there’s more to life. I’ve got one, had it for a year, wouldn’t be my only bike and I wouldn’t chip it. I use it instead of shuttling and getting more dh in at my local woods , I also build there and make polite conversation with walkers , fuss their dogs and respect other riders also. As for the argument those with injuries etc, suppose it’s valid but who are we to dictate who rides what. I hate a well known manufacturer of bikes but don’t diss people who ride them, it’s their choice not mine. I didn’t need one when I purchased it but I figured I’d get more dh / park riding in for the limited amount of time I have. I must say it’s nice waking up on a sunny day and thinking , I haven’t booked uplift at BPW/FOD but don’t need to, just turn up and ride! The ironic thing is that I had a suspected heart attack a month ago (when I’ve been at my fitest in 10 years, I was going to run a marathon on the Sunday) so I may be able to JUSTIFY it to the bigots now! In short if you act like a cnut on a normal bike then you probably will on an Ebike

BTW!! Respect for the AP1!!!

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 18:16 Quote
first off Strava is a tool for destroying fun!!

I love Strava. Great tool for measuring progress. Not just for overall speed or distance tracking but also you can track if you have improved on technique. I beat an old record recently even stopping to check out some scenery and I was shocked, but I realized my technique had improved enough to make me faster even though I’m not pedaling faster. Yeah there’s plenty of strava junkies who take it a little too far, but for the most part it’s harmless. I agree that ebikes shouldn’t be allowed to use strava to take records , just not fair.

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 19:24 Quote
Martron12 wrote:

I love Strava. Great tool for measuring progress. Not just for overall speed or distance tracking but also you can track if you have improved on technique. I beat an old record recently even stopping to check out some scenery and I was shocked, but I realized my technique had improved enough to make me faster even though I’m not pedaling faster. Yeah there’s plenty of strava junkies who take it a little too far, but for the most part it’s harmless. I agree that ebikes shouldn’t be allowed to use strava to take records , just not fair.

Strava is cool but it bums me out everytime i use it. I will have an epic ride that i feel is my fastest ever (and it is), and yet somehow be like 30+ seconds off people in sections. I like this other app, Cyclemeter, that just tells me gps and calories burned. still compares past ride times, but i dont get that ego burn lol

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 22:17 Quote
sosburn wrote:
Martron12 wrote:

Strava is cool but it bums me out everytime i use it. I will have an epic ride that i feel is my fastest ever (and it is), and yet somehow be like 30+ seconds off people in sections. I like this other app, Cyclemeter, that just tells me gps and calories burned. still compares past ride times, but i dont get that ego burn lol

I’m just happy if I’m not last lol!!

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 13:03 Quote
My next bike will be an ebike. I have ridden for 40 years from a trike, to budgie, to chopper, to Bmx racing and freestyle, mountain biking in the late 80s xc to Dh and back to "enduro"... etc.... I just love riding and I will always have a standard mountain bike and road bike, but for my trips to Wales and Lake district etc, I can now get a bike that gives me the possibility to cover lots of trails in less days...... And as most of us who are older are cash rich ( im not rich, but don`t have to save 6 months to buy a new tyre ) and time poor, these bikes make perfect sense. I always show respect on my bike, slowing for walkers, not tearing round blind bends etc... The same rules apply to an ebike of course.

They will be huge in a few years from now, it has already started so just accept the next chapter of biking.... You may just like it.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 22:06 Quote
Canberra, Australia - seen a couple so far.

First was ridden by a very large lady, easing into new fitness regime I guess.

Second was a Giant demo day at Stromlo, old bloke who rented one and rode to the top of the mountain. "It's much easier this way, don't even feel like I need to pedal" was his verdict.

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 22:40 Quote
dannyfag wrote:
My next bike will be an ebike. I have ridden for 40 years from a trike, to budgie, to chopper, to Bmx racing and freestyle, mountain biking in the late 80s xc to Dh and back to "enduro"... etc.... I just love riding and I will always have a standard mountain bike and road bike, but for my trips to Wales and Lake district etc, I can now get a bike that gives me the possibility to cover lots of trails in less days...... And as most of us who are older are cash rich ( im not rich, but don`t have to save 6 months to buy a new tyre ) and time poor, these bikes make perfect sense. I always show respect on my bike, slowing for walkers, not tearing round blind bends etc... The same rules apply to an ebike of course.

They will be huge in a few years from now, it has already started so just accept the next chapter of biking.... You may just like it.

Being almost 70, an ebike makes perfect sense. I too am poor, and have to save for most mtb stuff, or buy used parts. I can definitely see an emtb in my future.Wink

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 4:42 Quote
[Quote="sewer-rat"]
rabidmonkfish wrote:
The ironic thing is that I had a suspected heart attack a month ago (when I’ve been at my fitest in 10 years, I was going to run a marathon on the Sunday) so I may be able to JUSTIFY it to the bigots now!

Frig me! Alarm bells at all?

FL
Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 5:00 Quote
[Quote="BenPea"]
sewer-rat wrote:
rabidmonkfish wrote:
The ironic thing is that I had a suspected heart attack a month ago (when I’ve been at my fitest in 10 years, I was going to run a marathon on the Sunday) so I may be able to JUSTIFY it to the bigots now!

Frig me! Alarm bells at all?

Yeah buddy, seeing the cardiologist on Wednesday so hopefully will be back to work and riding soon Beer

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.031109
Mobile Version of Website