First DJ bike - to go rear sus or not?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
First DJ bike - to go rear sus or not?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 14, 2017 at 12:27 Quote
Hey all. I'm really keen to get onto a DJ bike, currently ride enduro/downhill etc on a full sus, have a hard tail that i tend to use for commuting and less frenetic forest rides, and also a 22" bmx that I basically noodle about the neighbourhood on from time to time.

I'm keen to keep working up my jumping skills, and I find the bmx pretty jarring! that said, i've not spent much time on pump/jump tracks at all, so very much a beginner with DJ specifically.

If I was going to splash out and buy myself something nice, would I be better to learn on a hardtail or are these slopestyle dual sus bikes the future of these bikes? something like the canyon stitched 720, which is a thing of beauty!

this isn't necessarily about value for money, I'm stupid enough to spend more than I should.

thanks!

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 at 9:31 Quote
I think full-suspension slope bikes are for riders who are going really really big and/or riding rougher terrain.

In terms of building skills, a DJ hardtail is the way to go! I have both and for pump/jump track, definitely hard tail.

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 at 15:52 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
I think full-suspension slope bikes are for riders who are going really really big and/or riding rougher terrain.

In terms of building skills, a DJ hardtail is the way to go! I have both and for pump/jump track, definitely hard tail.

Cool, thanks for the help man! Figured the dual sus might be more than I need.

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 at 18:33 Quote
remote-local wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:

The main reason is that most of your "pump" comes from your feet and the rear triangle of the bike. So a hard tail actually gives you more boost. (It's true you can use rear sus to help with boost, but more on like freeride/DH jumps. On tighter transition, hardtail is definitely better.)

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 at 19:51 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
remote-local wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:

The main reason is that most of your "pump" comes from your feet and the rear triangle of the bike. So a hard tail actually gives you more boost. (It's true you can use rear sus to help with boost, but more on like freeride/DH jumps. On tighter transition, hardtail is definitely better.)

Yup, starting on a hardtail is much better and much easier to learn skills.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 19:21 Quote
Has anybody got firsthand experience with the commencal absolut 26 DJ bike? the new 2018 model looks sweet, reasonable weight and a pretty approachable price compared to other options as it's stocked in NZ.

Any pros/cons to this bike worth noting? thanks all.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 12:17 Quote
Building a hardtail will help you refine your skill riding the full suspension on trails/mountain. Building a couple hardtail DJ's was probably the smartest thing I've done.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008449
Mobile Version of Website