Hail 2 vs trance 2

PB Forum :: Giant
Hail 2 vs trance 2
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2017 at 14:48 Quote
I am looking for a new bike for my wife. Im stuck between the hail 2 and the trance 2. She spent 2 days on the liv in spokane and a day on the trance at silver mountain in Idaho. She really did not have a preference between either other than the fact that the suspension on the Liv was much nicer because it had lower hours and the trances we rented at silver mountain were end of the season clapped out rentals. Both bikes were a small. Im leaning towards the trance because of the size of the market for resale. Shes leaning on the liv solely based on color options. thats how little of preference she has between the two.

Now my real question... what am I paying $500 more for on the Hail? Is it truly just a niche market ordeal?

Basically everything is the same besides the brakes, rims, and travel. When it comes to travel I know the Trance is plenty for her(140/150) and the Liv may be to much (160/160).

The liv has Deore brakes where as the trance has slx stoppers. so one up to the Trance.

The Liv has AM rims where the trance has Xc-1. one up on the Liv. Both have the same hubs from what I see.

The liv also comes with a mrp bash.

I dont see where the $500 comes in? If its truly just for the rims then ill just buy some hopes laced to some mavics with the $500-ish i saved buying the trance.

also lets debate the rhythm vs yari... I like fox more just by preference but truly have no knowledge on how either is better than the other.

Posted: Nov 19, 2017 at 15:24 Quote
First look at the geometry and travel, is her riding more Trail or AM/Enduro? The HA, reach and wheelbase are a bit different.

Other than the frame, like you said the parts spec and price makes the Trance look like the better deal, but it makes sense to match the bike to her riding.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2017 at 19:57 Quote
That's also where I kind of get confused and why this is hard. I feel bikes and also riders are waaay to specific now. Around mn where we live we ride a lot
Of single track. We don't do a whole lot
Of climbing around here obviously. Longest climb
I've done in mn is maybe 3/4 mile? Not sure I don't keep track.

We also ride a bike parks around mn which are obviously small by most standards.
. Also usually take a road trip out west each year. Last year we flew to beacon hill in Spokane and silver mountain in Idaho. This summer we are driving to whitefish and fernie. We did a 5 mile climb in Washington with me on a trance and my wife on a hail and both survived just fine. then we did 16 miles of descending at silver both on trances. Again thought both bikes were great. obviously there are better bikes that can do one or the other far better, but both ascended/descended to our standards.

I honestly don't have enough experience on different bikes to justify or even notice the differences between a half degree of head angle. I've always sort of been a ride what I have and have fun doing it person. She's the same way. Which is why she really has no preference difference between the trance or the hail. She had a blast and would simply say "both are awesome" when I asked. I had a dartmoor hornet and now a kona process. And while both ride very difference they are both a blast and I became comfortable on both. If I found a weakness I just pedaled through and had fun while doing it. I wouldn't not go on a trail ride because the hornet isn't suppose to climb well. I just did the ascent because that's what I had. I've also never owned a XC bike to know what a bike made to climb is like, cause I like to go down much more. We both just want all around do it all well but not one thing great bikes. I'm not Looking to get to the top as fast as possible and not looking to get to the bottom as fast as possible. Just want the most for my
Money .

I know that's a bunch of rambling but I feel that we ride a real variety of stuff that i can't "match" our riding style to one category like the industry seems to demand.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2017 at 20:27 Quote
To try and answer the question, I do not believe she needs 160mm of travel, no.

But for the sake of discussion let's just say she wants the liv strictly because she wants to support a women's brand... what's really going to be the downfall to buying that bike if her riding style and skill level is more Inline with the 140mm trance?

Posted: Nov 20, 2017 at 4:43 Quote
Jordanh604 wrote:
I am looking for a new bike for my wife. Im stuck between the hail 2 and the trance 2. She spent 2 days on the liv in spokane and a day on the trance at silver mountain in Idaho. She really did not have a preference between either other than the fact that the suspension on the Liv was much nicer because it had lower hours and the trances we rented at silver mountain were end of the season clapped out rentals. Both bikes were a small. Im leaning towards the trance because of the size of the market for resale. Shes leaning on the liv solely based on color options. thats how little of preference she has between the two.

Now my real question... what am I paying $500 more for on the Hail? Is it truly just a niche market ordeal?

Basically everything is the same besides the brakes, rims, and travel. When it comes to travel I know the Trance is plenty for her(140/150) and the Liv may be to much (160/160).

The liv has Deore brakes where as the trance has slx stoppers. so one up to the Trance.

The Liv has AM rims where the trance has Xc-1. one up on the Liv. Both have the same hubs from what I see.

The liv also comes with a mrp bash.

I dont see where the $500 comes in? If its truly just for the rims then ill just buy some hopes laced to some mavics with the $500-ish i saved buying the trance.

also lets debate the rhythm vs yari... I like fox more just by preference but truly have no knowledge on how either is better than the other.

You are looking at this totally wrong way... she is buying the bike for herself so you must consider her opinion much more than yours. You are doing the classic mistake - approaching this from man's rational thinking view ("why pay 500 more, compare specs etc. blabla bla :-) , as women are not thinking like that. If she likes the color of one option more, let her have it. If you insist on your rational opinion, you will have unhappy wife - which is much more trouble than 500$ more or less. On the plus side - whenever there is anything wrong you are in the clear, because you didnt make the decision.
In short - "dear wife, which bike do you prefer more?" - "I prefer the red one" - "Yes, you made good choice. Bought it for you." - "Thank you for supporting me" ... and they live happily forever.... :-)

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2017 at 5:38 Quote
True statement right there haha.

she really is on the fence though. She's as confused as I am. She will be happy both ways as She enjoyed both greatly. She will prob use that 160mm of suspension only a handful of times a year. We did about 7 miles of climbing on the trip and She had zero complaints on how the liv performed.

This seems to come down to the better to have it and not use it then not have it and need it.

So is it worth not having? If she has it and doesn't use it what's it really
Going to hurt? Does this come down to the subject of weight? If that's the case then the extra bit of weight will Be just fine for her.

The first reply of this thread really has me
Thinking more of geometry now than price. The bikes are basically to similar is how The geometry reads to me. But I'm not a numbers guys.

Posted: Nov 20, 2017 at 10:08 Quote
Jordanh604 wrote:
True statement right there haha.

she really is on the fence though. She's as confused as I am. She will be happy both ways as She enjoyed both greatly. She will prob use that 160mm of suspension only a handful of times a year. We did about 7 miles of climbing on the trip and She had zero complaints on how the liv performed.

This seems to come down to the better to have it and not use it then not have it and need it.

So is it worth not having? If she has it and doesn't use it what's it really
Going to hurt? Does this come down to the subject of weight? If that's the case then the extra bit of weight will Be just fine for her.

The first reply of this thread really has me
Thinking more of geometry now than price. The bikes are basically to similar is how The geometry reads to me. But I'm not a numbers guys.
in case this helps - think of the Liv as closer to a Reign than Trance, the Hail has a bit slacker head angle, giving it a longer wheelbase, so along with more travel that makes it a bit better for rough and/or fast riding, but will be a bit less agile on tight trails. A bit, not a lot.
I agree with onyxss though, it's not just about specs, and IMO neither bike is the "wrong" choice anyway. If she's leaning towards the Hail, the nice thing is, it comes with wider wheels and dropper post, so you won't have to change (m)any parts, just ride it.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2017 at 12:37 Quote
That helps a lot, thanks. It's to bad liv doesn't have a bike more in line with the trance. Their line up has a big gap between the 120 and 160mm market. I think the hail is what she is leaning on. I feel the hail will be a buy and ride bike. When she was riding it in Spokane her nor I really felt any parts on the bike needed to be changed. She doesn't really hammer through switch backs so the lack of agility shouldn't be an issue.

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 11:14 Quote
IDK if you have made a decision, but IMO this will come down to fit and where you ride. We live in VT, so alot of pedaling with knarly DH sections, also a lot of Park riding. For us the Hail 2 was the obvious choice. It climbs close to a trance, but rips the DH stretches. It is a 2018 Reign in womens clothing and fit. If you pedal more than ride parks, the trance will pedal a bit better, but is no match in parks or knarly single track descents.

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 12:10 Quote
She decided on the hail. Thanks for the reply. Can't wait until the snow melts!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.088078
Mobile Version of Website