Repairing Vintage GT Zaskar Fixed Derailleur Hanger?

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Repairing Vintage GT Zaskar Fixed Derailleur Hanger?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 19, 2017 at 18:26 Quote
Hi everyone! Any suggestions on how to repair a damaged fixed derailleur hanger on a 1991 GT Zaskar frame? Its my original race frame and has lots of sentimental value. I'd like to build it back up as an occasional rider.

The hanger has been bent and realigned twice and the threads are nearly stripped. It's still slightly misaligned and did not shift well when it was last built.

Had a few ideas and was hoping for some input or other suggestions:

1. Have a machine shop retrofit a replaceable hanger to the dropout. Has anyone done this or know if its possible?

2. Have an experienced frame shop weld in a new dropout with a replaceable hanger. Cost and re-heat treating concern me with this route.

3. After market bolt on options?

Welcome any help. Thanks in advance!

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 11:36 Quote
I would try to fix the threads with a helicoil, that should get the threads back in shape.

Any shop should be able to straighten the hanger again.

You probably could get by with bracing the existing hanger with a couple of small bolts & a steel back plate. Drill a few holes through the existing hanger and bolt the steel support to the backside. Should give it some strength without having to spend cash on some expensive machining or welding.

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 at 13:52 Quote
I havent used one but have you seen this?

http://wheelsmfg.com/dropout-saver.html

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009023
Mobile Version of Website