YT Jeffsy 29er vs. Hightower?

PB Forum :: 29ers
YT Jeffsy 29er vs. Hightower?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 21, 2017 at 6:31 Quote
Thup. Looking to get onto a 29er for next season. I've been really intrigued by YT, particularly for the high end components that come with the CF Pro model. The only thing is I don't know a whole lot about YT as a brand (frame durability, customer service, etc.), other than that they've signed some serious riders over the past year. Santa Cruz is reliable as hell and I'm pretty confident I'd be happy on a new Hightower.

How do they climb, descend, corner, etc. in comparison to each other?

Oh and I ride a 5010 right now.

Posted: Nov 21, 2017 at 7:19 Quote
Also quick question on sizing. I'm about 5'10/11 with 32" inseam. I ride a large right now on my solo, but I've always felt as if the bike was a tad big for my preference. Could I get away with riding a Medium frame on both bikes?

Posted: Nov 21, 2017 at 10:36 Quote
francheesy wrote:
Also quick question on sizing. I'm about 5'10/11 with 32" inseam. I ride a large right now on my solo, but I've always felt as if the bike was a tad big for my preference. Could I get away with riding a Medium frame on both bikes?

Sizing on both bikes is really similar to that of your 5010. Buy the same size as your current ride if it fits. Get the bike you want. Both are killer bikes and arguing one over the other comes down to personal preference. Personally, I haven't found the little bit of warranty work I needed done on my Jeffsy to be an issue. YT and e13 were happy to send me the part I needed (1-2 day air) and let me fix it myself.

Posted: Nov 21, 2017 at 11:25 Quote
Jeffg14 wrote:
francheesy wrote:

Sizing on both bikes is really similar to that of your 5010. Buy the same size as your current ride if it fits. Get the bike you want. Both are killer bikes and arguing one over the other comes down to personal preference. Personally, I haven't found the little bit of warranty work I needed done on my Jeffsy to be an issue. YT and e13 were happy to send me the part I needed (1-2 day air) and let me fix it myself.

Appreciate the response. I guess my concern is the 29" tires making the bike feel gigantic, hence considering the smaller frame size. I want the speed of 29" tires, while not having to sacrifice handling.

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 4:09 Quote
Not going to lie, my XL 29er Jeffsy has the wheelbase of a truck and it definitely shows on switchbacks and super tight low speed stuff. Not sure how the Hightower compares wheelbase wise.

However, I'd take the Jeffsy over my old 26er Fuel any day since the tradeoff is better handling at speed and a bike that just keeps rolling. I'd recommend riding a 29er since some do prefer the smaller 27.5 wheels (available on the Jeffsy).

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 at 1:30 Quote
francheesy wrote:

I'm roughly the same size as you, 70kg weight.
The Jeffsy will feel more compact than the Hightower in the equivalent size. I found the large Jeffsy too short and ended up with a large switchblade. I have a couple mates who have switched from capras to jeffsys and they love them. They both ride mediums at 5ft 8.

Ultimately it depends on your riding terrain and style as to what suits you but if at all possible I would try and ride the bikes before taking the plunge and bear in mind that a 35mm stem and an Angleset can have a noticeable impact on shortening the cockpit whilst not sacrificing climbing ability and front end grip providing the saddle stays in the same position.

There's a lot more to getting a bike to round right switchbacks than simply wheelbase and I personally find it easier to ride a longer bike on which my weight is more central in tight terrain as I don't feel so cramped and perched on top.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008945
Mobile Version of Website