2017 Recluse - max rear tire?

PB Forum :: Intense
2017 Recluse - max rear tire?
| Next Page
Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 23:22 Quote
Just went from the factory 25mm e1900 2.3 hr2's to a set of 30mm m1700 with 2.5/2.4 dhf/dhr. Same climb, much different descent. So far really liking the setup.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 10:45 Quote
nashwillis wrote:
BikePilotOne wrote:
I like it, but am only 2 rides in. Seems to roll faster and grip more than the stock 2.25 nic. How you like the rock razor? I have one in 2.35 in a box. Haven't tried it yet. I also have a 2.6 nic up front.

I put it on after having the stock 2.25 nic and could tell it was much faster and hooks good. It has good volume so might just leave it on, it's a bit old now and sealant seaps out all over. Might get a addix one next.

Cool, the addix tires are sweet!

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 0:15 Quote
Just wanted to add in here, I just put WTB Trail Boss 2.4's on my Recluse. There is barely any clearance between the front of the tire and the lower box link. I'm talking less than a 1/4 inch.

Also to the fella that claimed the Recluse was great on small bump, have you ever ridden anything else? This bike is terrible on small bump compliance. All of your other points hold true, but I definitely wouldnt call any VPP bike good at small bump.

Thats actually my only negative with the bike, is its small bump compliance. The rest of the bike is amazing. High AS gives us a hell of a pedal platform. After breaking through the initial stiffness, the rest of the travel is amazing and supple.

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 16:35 Quote
RodneyPierce wrote:
Also to the fella that claimed the Recluse was great on small bump, have you ever ridden anything else? This bike is terrible on small bump compliance.

Sorry to liven up an old thread, but I've bought a 2017 recluse and noticed the same thing - I was going to get the shocks sent off for a complete work-over to try to address this (not a bad idea, regardless!).

My old bike is a Marin Attack Trail from ~2010, so the RS monarch & revelation was a completely different thing (but it's waaay softer initially).

My problem is I'm a suspension n00b, so presumed it was tuning-related.

Any final words on the large-volume tires in the rear? I guess I should put some impact protection over the carbon in that area - just in case!

Yes, it's my first carbon too - I'm a little scared of breaking the science-plastic

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
I run a semi slick in the back. Because the short chainstay there is just not alot of room for knobs.
Side clearance is fine.
First thing I would do is retorque all pivots. The factory torque specs are crazy tight.
Remove the shock and and then retorque each pivot one at a time. You will remove the outer bolt then a cone that puts pressure on the axle/bolt. The axle is what you tighten to determine preload. You want it tight enough that everything is stiff and tight but not so tight that it starts binding the bearings.
After removing the shock cycle the suspension you will feel a notching or catching. This is because way too tight pivots. This is bad for bearing life too.
After torquing the axles reinstall the cone and tighten the outer bolts too 14nm or factory torque. These do need to be tight in order to hold the preload bolts in place.

It may seem intimidating at first but theres really nothing to it and is a first step to tuning your bike and making it your own.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 1:27 Quote
benji-airtime wrote:
RodneyPierce wrote:
Also to the fella that claimed the Recluse was great on small bump, have you ever ridden anything else? This bike is terrible on small bump compliance.

Sorry to liven up an old thread, but I've bought a 2017 recluse and noticed the same thing - I was going to get the shocks sent off for a complete work-over to try to address this (not a bad idea, regardless!).

My old bike is a Marin Attack Trail from ~2010, so the RS monarch & revelation was a completely different thing (but it's waaay softer initially).

My problem is I'm a suspension n00b, so presumed it was tuning-related.

Any final words on the large-volume tires in the rear? I guess I should put some impact protection over the carbon in that area - just in case!

Yes, it's my first carbon too - I'm a little scared of breaking the science-plastic

Sorry for the late reply, been a while since Ive been on PB. As far as making it better, yes a tun can help, or a coil. (I run a coil) but you can only do so much with the linkage kinematics. Its going to be stiff on small bump because of the high level of antisquat. Whats why it pedals so well!

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010869
Mobile Version of Website