Blackspire TrailX Chain Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Blackspire TrailX Chain Guide
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 22, 2017 at 21:43 Quote
Bike: Mountain Cycle Fury
Drivetrain: Shimano Deore crank, XT 9 speed long cage rear mech, OneUp narrowide 30T 1X chainring (104BCD), XT 9 speed shifter, Sunrace 11-40 9 speed cassette.

Chain Guide: Blackspire TrailX "The Thirty" with ISCG05 BB mount adapter

I had my local shop install this chain guide and my buddy picked up the bike for me on his way home from work (So I haven't had a chance to talk to the mechanic yet).

Everything seems to be operating fine, but the top guide looks like it's sitting too high and possibly not aligned. I see that the shop utilized the included Blackspire spacers between the ISCG adapter and the chain guide plate.

Should the guide be sitting lower? The "Thirty" version from Blackspire is shaped to fit 104BCD and have a groove for the crank arm chainring mounting points (which the top guide is no where near).

If I lower the top guide, it will sit on top of the chain in the highest gear. If I raise the top guide to the point where it clears the chain (see pictures), it barely encloses it.

These shots were taken in the highest gear.

Should the chain guide mounting plate be spaced out more or did the shop miss something else?

Thanks in advance!

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 23, 2017 at 0:01 Quote
sab11 wrote:
Bike: Mountain Cycle Fury
Drivetrain: Shimano Deore crank, XT 9 speed long cage rear mech, OneUp narrowide 30T 1X chainring (104BCD), XT 9 speed shifter, Sunrace 11-40 9 speed cassette.

Chain Guide: Blackspire TrailX "The Thirty" with ISCG05 BB mount adapter

I had my local shop install this chain guide and my buddy picked up the bike for me on his way home from work (So I haven't had a chance to talk to the mechanic yet).

Everything seems to be operating fine, but the top guide looks like it's sitting too high and possibly not aligned. I see that the shop utilized the included Blackspire spacers between the ISCG adapter and the chain guide plate.

Should the guide be sitting lower? The "Thirty" version from Blackspire is shaped to fit 104BCD and have a groove for the crank arm chainring mounting points (which the top guide is no where near).

If I lower the top guide, it will sit on top of the chain in the highest gear. If I raise the top guide to the point where it clears the chain (see pictures), it barely encloses it.

These shots were taken in the highest gear.

Should the chain guide mounting plate be spaced out more or did the shop miss something else?

Thanks in advance!

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo
it just needs adjusting,Firstly it needs spacing from the ISCG mount,so it runs right in the middle if the guide,so it doesn't rub,then undo the ISCG bolts a bit and the bolt on the top guide.Put the chain on the largest rear cog.Set the whole guide so the chain just misses it,by lowering the guide and rotating the backplate.It looks like it's been fitted by an idiot looking at the damage caused by the chain rubbing the guide.

Posted: Nov 23, 2017 at 19:28 Quote
sab11 wrote:

photo

Looks like it needs to come down and rock back. The chain should be in the channel, not under it.

Blackspire TrailX
  Blackspire TrailX

Posted: Nov 23, 2017 at 20:45 Quote
Wow that was a shop that installed that??? Easy fix nonetheless.

Posted: Nov 24, 2017 at 8:08 Quote
Thanks for the advice and the replies gentlemen. I'm going to bring the bike back to the shop and have the owner take a look.

Posted: Nov 24, 2017 at 11:06 Quote
sab11 wrote:
Thanks for the advice and the replies gentlemen. I'm going to bring the bike back to the shop and have the owner take a look.

I had to get some washers from Home Depot for mine when I had it installed because my bike is boost. Install between the mounts on the frame and the bracket of the bashguard to center the guide over the chain while the chain is in the middle of the cassette. Then just drop the guide so its a hair over the chain while it's on the largest cog. Easy as pie if you have allen keys, no need to take it to a shop

Posted: Nov 25, 2017 at 9:41 Quote
Top stuff. Thanks for the tips Jason!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018068
Mobile Version of Website