Ohlins STX 22 durability and Roval Fattie carbon wheels

PB Forum :: Specialized
Ohlins STX 22 durability and Roval Fattie carbon wheels
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 at 6:54 Quote
I'd like to get some feedback from riders who ride aggressive terrain with big descents on the STX 22 durability. I know the initial shocks had some issues but had read somewhere that they upgraded the new shocks recently and after rebuilds.

I currently ride a 650b 2015 Enduro with a CC DBAIR CS and I love it. It replaced the DBInline which was a terrible product for my use. I'm 190 lbs kitted up and am on the fast/advanced side of the spectrum.

I'm considering the 2018 Enduro 29er Pro and trying to figure out whether it's worth swapping to the Float X2 or giving the Ohlins shock a try. Thoughts?

Also, how are the Roval Carbon Fattie Wheels?

Posted: Dec 12, 2017 at 14:51 Quote
I had a 2016 Enduro Expert carbon with an Ohlins STX-22. Didnt work well and ended up losing it for nearly 6 weeks while they sorted it out. I have a 2017 Enduro Pro Carbon now with the newer STX-22 and it works pretty well. Don't expect much adjustability, and don't expect the auto-sag to work either. I set mine using a shock pump to the recommended PSI in the Ohlin's handbook and then adjusted the pressure to suit how I wanted it to feel. All in all I recommend the newer versions. My buddy has the 2018 S-Works Enduro with the STX-22 and he swears by it.

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2017 at 9:36 Quote
jewellsack wrote:
I had a 2016 Enduro Expert carbon with an Ohlins STX-22. Didnt work well and ended up losing it for nearly 6 weeks while they sorted it out. I have a 2017 Enduro Pro Carbon now with the newer STX-22 and it works pretty well. Don't expect much adjustability, and don't expect the auto-sag to work either. I set mine using a shock pump to the recommended PSI in the Ohlin's handbook and then adjusted the pressure to suit how I wanted it to feel. All in all I recommend the newer versions. My buddy has the 2018 S-Works Enduro with the STX-22 and he swears by it.

Thanks!!! Good feedback.

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 at 19:28 Quote
2017 Enduro Pro here, the STX is decent, but I'll echo jewellsack (lol). I find its tune ok for trail riding, but for DH the X2 was money at Whistler. I want to try the DVO Topaz next.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 17:55 Quote
The STX is trash. Mine blew within weeks. Second one was wearing funny on the stanction. I wouldn't want one, if I bought a bike with one, I would throw it in the trash. Adjustablility range is small, with few clicks, and is not sensitive at all. I'm a 200lb rider, ride aggressive trail riding and some DH, FWIW

The DHX2, retrofitted to an Enduro, is money. I also liked the CC IL (new version) for the few rides I had it. Cannot commment on durability.

Personally, if I were to have an Enduro again, I would do a EXT Storia, DHX2, or a CC Coil IL. All three are solid shocks with similar adjustments. And, I'm putting my money where my mouth is, my wifes next DH bike will be an Enduro stroked to 180mm with one of those shocks.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 17:57 Quote
Also, the wheels.

If you are over 170 lbs, and ride hard, you'll notice the front wheel flexing. Its not horrible, but noticable if you've ridden properly stiff front wheels, IE 32h ENVE M70, E13 carbon, Reynolds Enduro, ETC.

However, the Roval Carbons are stupid light. I loved them for that, so on a trail bike, sure, they were fine. But any park or hard riding, I felt like the front couldn't hold a line.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 7:07 Quote
ljfran2383 wrote:
Also, the wheels.

If you are over 170 lbs, and ride hard, you'll notice the front wheel flexing. Its not horrible, but noticable if you've ridden properly stiff front wheels, IE 32h ENVE M70, E13 carbon, Reynolds Enduro, ETC.

However, the Roval Carbons are stupid light. I loved them for that, so on a trail bike, sure, they were fine. But any park or hard riding, I felt like the front couldn't hold a line.

Great to know on both. I ride a lot of big downhills on my regular rides as well as proper dh. I just wish the big S would sell frames without shocks.

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 7:21 Quote
I agree 100%

Selling frames with shocks, droppers sucks. I dont like the Ohlins or Rock Shox shocks that come on Specialized bikes, or the wheels, as they dont seem to be designed with heavy riders in mind at all. And by heavy, I mean over 170.

Although, they are offering the Fox X2 now for the Enduro. I have a DHX2 on my M16, and Stuumpjumper, and they both are excellent. Have not tried the X2, but with the same dampner, it must be good.

On second though, I would like to try the Rovals again one day, but tighten the crap out of the front wheel to see if that corrects the flex. I mean, Curtis Keene is 200lb, and rides those way harder than any of us ever will. My wife has the Roval Fattie SLs and likes them, but she is 130lbs.

Posted: Jan 9, 2018 at 9:53 Quote
Could anyone post feedback on the their STX 22 after having it rebuilt by ohlins? Mine was rebuilt and it seems ok so far but I haven't done much riding on it but i'm considering picking up an X2. Still a novice rider but I would hate to be out for a while due to shock issues.

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 21:20 Quote
My original STX-22 from my 2016 Enduro was rebuilt by Ohlins, worked fine until it got stolen. Was moved on to another rider after and hasn't had any issues at all.

I upgraded my wheels a couple months ago to Carbon Roval's. Didn't go the plus size but threw a 2.8 tire on the front Carbon Traverse 650b and it is epic. Bike is wild now!

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 18:46 Quote
oLjud wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/custom-bikes

Build your own bike

This has so much potential but not very flexible. Plus guide brakes...I just want to be able to buy a frame with the shock I want.

I’m leaning heavily towards a Pole evolink 158 or Guerrilla Gravity Smash mainly because those companies are very willing to work with riders who want certain parts. I loathe the idea of buying a bike the selling or destroying the parts on it.

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 4:39 Quote
I ride an 18 s-works Enduro, but have been on ohlins for several years now, to stat the 18 products are on another level compared to even 17, much more reliable and easy to set up. There's two major things to remember though, first specialized specs the enduro line to be ready to race, they aren't designed for everyday trail performance, it's gonna performance best at extreme speeds and technical gnarly smashing, railing burms, but for slow speed casual riding it's gonna feel a bit unbalanced, so you really only want a top tier Enduro if you plan to use it accordingly, secondly is that ohlins especially rear requires frequent and thorough servicing to perform optimally, requires some patience in tuning and thus is more geared towards experienced serious riders who will be investing time in setup and weekly maintenance. These things can all make people shy away because when reviewed in most cases the person didn't use the products as intended, ohlins is made for speed and intensity, with that said, as a pro Enduro racer myself having raced ews and been on factory tuned suspension from Fox and rockshox I can say that when running properly and set up right ohlins is magical for race speed, tracking high speed repetitive hits, big g outs and overall glued stability in crazy terrain.

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 4:46 Quote
As far as the roval rims, theyre a bit squishy and I definitely wouldn't race them. Very nice ride quality for more average stuff, but in high speed tech they feel squirmy and can't hold a line

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 5:24 Quote
Johnnywatkins95 wrote:
....first specialized specs the enduro line to be ready to race, they aren't designed for everyday trail performance, it's gonna performance best at extreme speeds and technical gnarly smashing, railing burms, but for slow speed casual riding it's gonna feel a bit unbalanced...

Cannot agree. The specialized Enduro is on of the best "do it all" bikes available. Especially the low speed balance is great compared to some "ready to race" competitors.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012347
Mobile Version of Website