27.5 vs 29

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 15:56 Quote
All,

Got a 2016 bronson with a 160mm fork, thinking of getting Hightower LT only since I am 6”3” but a stock HT LT is only a 150mm Fork so need to need to buy a separate 160 fork that will cost me more $

I heard the LT will climb slightly better than bronson even though 29 due to geometry

Tested a few 29 and can’t get the big wheels around tight switch backs / maybe takes a while

I do all sorts of riding in the California Bay Area (Santa Cruz mtns) like to get LT but since it won’t climb much on paper is it worth getting?

I know LT will be a bit faster on DH since bigger wheels

Thoughts? keep bronson or spend 2500-3k more on LT due sell lost on bronson. Or I could just keep bronson and get some SC reserve I9 carbon wheels for it which I won’t spend that much after selling my enduro I9 aluminum ones

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 at 11:57 Quote
Repsol1970 wrote:
All,

Got a 2016 bronson with a 160mm fork, thinking of getting Hightower LT only since I am 6”3” but a stock HT LT is only a 150mm Fork so need to need to buy a separate 160 fork that will cost me more $

I heard the LT will climb slightly better than bronson even though 29 due to geometry

Tested a few 29 and can’t get the big wheels around tight switch backs / maybe takes a while

I do all sorts of riding in the California Bay Area (Santa Cruz mtns) like to get LT but since it won’t climb much on paper is it worth getting?

I know LT will be a bit faster on DH since bigger wheels

Thoughts? keep bronson or spend 2500-3k more on LT due sell lost on bronson. Or I could just keep bronson and get some SC reserve I9 carbon wheels for it which I won’t spend that much after selling my enduro I9 aluminum ones

The Hightower LT intrigues me. I really want to try one. I went from a nomad to a wreckoning and I couldn't be happier with 29 wheels. I think your difficulty with getting it around tight switch backs could be due to the 29 bikes you tested. There is a small adjustment but when you see the speed 29 carries and how it smooths out the rough stuff I think it's worth it. But only if you can afford it. The Bronson will be a little more playful but I think the benefits of the geometry and the 29 wheels on the LT will have you ripping and throwing it around in no time.

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 8:31 Quote
God I just love 29ers. Everyone knows sizes matters.

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 9:52 Quote
agree with @nocker - could be due to the 29ers you tested.. which ones did you test?

When I was in the market for my last bike i hadn't even considered a 29er. not for any idealistic reason, but i had ridden a few which had all been just a little too cumbersome for me (coming from a 26er stumpjumper no less). Even the 2015 Spec Enduro 29 I didn't like all that much for trail riding.
Then out of some random mood i tested the 29er stumpjumper (MY2017) and it absolutely blew my mind how nimble it was, as well as confidence-inspiring, and how much speed it could carry. Next thing i knew i had ordered a jeffsy (being the spitting image of a stumpjumper but - here in europe - almost half the price).

However, if i were you i'm not sure i'd do it. The Bronson is a very good bike - fairly new too - and like you said, you're going to lose money so if you're not dissatisfied with the Bronson, why switch?
At the very least have a testride on the Hightower and see what's what. I reckon they won't feel all that different.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 12:58 Quote
If you want the HTLT, and you want 160mm. You can probably just change out the air spring. Or longer coil.

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 22:15 Quote
Ibis ripley and yes I broke my ankle on tight tech stuff but still interested in 29.

The HTLT looks nice but pricy and even the X01 package I found out doesn’t have Factory suspension/ I was like what? U need to get XX1 which is ????????????

I am a SC fan, I just up graded my 2.0 bronson to SC reserve wheels now

BtwI like to upgrade either a 2018 float x2 or dhX2 with a 600lb SLS coil on the Bronson

I am around 220- 225 pds and heard that might be on the border of maxing the float x2
Out on psi?

Than dhX2 but need to make sure what’s best. I am not a big jumper or double black diamonds anymore

Ride Aggressive enduro at times with small jumps at times

So just getting folks opinion float x2 if I am in the limits of weight psi since don’t want ruin it or DHX2 coil though could be over kill on Bronson and I am not a DH extreme guy

Dhx2 I guess more stable /plus at high speeds, if so that’s what I am leaning towards

On the bike now have a Fox Float X factory EVOL so the update DPX2 is similar

Thoughts...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009422
Mobile Version of Website