YT Capra Size for a 6 footer.... L or XL?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
YT Capra Size for a 6 footer.... L or XL?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 14:58 Quote
Hi guys!

There are tons of posts out there about this but I just can’t figure it out!

Im 6’ and i just can’t decide between L or XL for my Capra.

It seems like 50% of the 6’ guys like there L and the other half like there XL.

I do mostly enduro, I climb the mountain every time pedaling on my bike. Because of its slaker geometry, would it be better to have a « shorter » bike during the climbs? If the L appear to be too small, would a 65mm stem to the trick to make it more comfortable?

I ordered an L last Friday, but it is not shipped yet. I think I could change my mind for an XL without to much hassle.

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 15:04 Quote
Xuor wrote:
Hi guys!

I do mostly enduro, I climb the mountain every time pedaling on my bike. Because of its slaker geometry, would it be better to have a « shorter » bike during the climbs? If the L appear to be too small, would a 65mm stem to the trick to make it more comfortable?

I ordered an L last Friday, but it is not shipped yet. I think I could change my mind for an XL without to much hassle.

Thanks for your help!

I've been in the same situation with a Patrol. The XL was superior on the climbs but I sold it and bought a large which I found better for DH.

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 16:21 Quote
Xuor wrote:
Hi guys!

Thanks for your help!

Well, this is where it gets complicated because 6ft on it's own isn't too revealing- except you're unlikely to be signed up for the NBA ;-p

How big is your ape index and what's your inside leg? I think nearly 99% of the posts here with recommendations on best Enduro bike sadly say Capra without any geometry to body consideration. Whereas, if you are someone like me, then the current geometry (standby as rumour has it their bikes may enter the modern geometry world for 2018 with new moulds) just simply doesn't suit. For me, with, in my eyes, fairly normal sizing, then geometry has to be the driver- that's why I never even entertained the Capra (and I have tested M/L from friends) to be sure)

When Capra's first came out they recommended size Medium for me at 5ft 11'' and a bit. In absolute measurement I'm not 6ft but for all intents and purposes you could probably say I am. Note, YT have revised that and said I am a large now but they have not changed the geometry.

For me, the biggest problem with German bikes is that they are based on an anatomy of long legs/ short body/ arms. With modern droppers, I just can't see why such tall seat tubes are still designed. Canyon are the only German manufacturer that have long reach and shorter seat tubes for what they term enduro bikes. I remember trying a Large Cube Stereo with a reach of 430mm and it was just a joke. The only other German bikes that I have found would work for me are the Propain Spindrift and Rose Soul - these have long enough reach and short enough seat tubes but ironically, they call them freeride bikes and if you look at their enduro offerings it's back to short reach /high seat tube.

Prob not want you want to hear to some extent- for me - I've ridden an Orbea with a reach of 445mm and although it was short it was better than a seat tube of 510mm. Having said all that, my mate is an old XC rider with a seat so high and a back wheel off the ground on the steep stuff that there is never going to be be right or wrong- just what's comfortable or what you can adapt to.

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 16:39 Quote
Thanks for the answers!

My inner leg is 33’’

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 22:55 Quote
I found the large Capra,crazy short in the top tube,leg length was fine.Im 6ft,and would go for the XL personally,I like a roomy cockpit,don't like being too cramped for all day rides.

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 23:15 Quote
I am 6ft with average proportions and have the XL. Its my only bike so does trails, uplifts, DH, and its spot.
I came from a large Kona 111 and the XL capra feels the same size wise.
Perhaps if it was only going to be a DH bike i might go for the large.

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 23:54 Quote
Yup the L is super short. I'm 6' 1" and my knees were almost hitting the bars riding a friends large framed Capra with 50mm stem so I would be on the XL version for sure.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 0:52 Quote
So, I sent a question to yt and this is their answer. I am 1.83 with a 84cm inseam.

You could ride the bike in size L or in size XL.

If you prefer longer frames and your focus is on efficient pedaling and lots of stability at high speeds, you could use the XL frame. However, if you would prefer smaller frames and a more playful handling, you could also ride the bike in size large.
So for efficient riding and stability the XL frame would be a bit better, for slow technical riding and lots of jumps, the large sized frame would be a bit better.

Xuor wrote:
Hi guys!

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 0:55 Quote
A second e mail advised me to buy a large. I am still confused though. My current bike a canyon strive large has a reach of 47 and a top tube 64.8 compared to the 2018 capra with a 46 reach and a top tube of 61.5!

Paulman1 wrote:
So, I sent a question to yt and this is their answer. I am 1.83 with a 84cm inseam.

You could ride the bike in size L or in size XL.

If you prefer longer frames and your focus is on efficient pedaling and lots of stability at high speeds, you could use the XL frame. However, if you would prefer smaller frames and a more playful handling, you could also ride the bike in size large.
So for efficient riding and stability the XL frame would be a bit better, for slow technical riding and lots of jumps, the large sized frame would be a bit better.

Xuor wrote:
Hi guys!

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 5:12 Quote
Sounds like you're inbetween sizing.

Personally, I prefer a larger frame, because I've found that trying to space out a smaller one with setback posts and stems just causes me back problems. Then again, with modern stems being so short you are a little more limited when setting up a larger bike to fit small...

My vote is XL, but it's not my money here...

FL
Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 14:40 Quote
The 2017 XL, which a lot of 6ft plus people in here are riding, has a shorter reach than the 2018 L. I went for the L on that basis at just over 5ft 11 and fits me fine.

Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 0:59 Quote
Hi there!
So, you do not have any second thoughts about your choice of xl size?
I am coming from a canyon strive 2017 size large which is very roomy, with a top tube of 64.8 and reach 47.
Something you would change?
Thanks again!

spl75 wrote:
I am 6ft with average proportions and have the XL. Its my only bike so does trails, uplifts, DH, and its spot.
I came from a large Kona 111 and the XL capra feels the same size wise.
Perhaps if it was only going to be a DH bike i might go for the large.

Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 13:23 Quote
f*cking idiots going XL when you're not even 6 feet. And then complain that frames are getting too long. Wtf is wrong with this world

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 27, 2018 at 7:42 Quote
mollow wrote:
f*cking idiots going XL when you're not even 6 feet. And then complain that frames are getting too long. Wtf is wrong with this world

I would say idiots spreading misinformation and commenting on topics they clearly know very little about is a big part of what's wrong with our online world.

Posted: Jun 2, 2018 at 0:39 Quote
I'm 6'1" and the XL is the best bike (all round) I've ever ridden (I've had Norco, Banshee, Kona, Rocky Mountain...)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010356
Mobile Version of Website