Greater LA area - Trail reccomendations - January

PB Forum :: USA - West
Greater LA area - Trail reccomendations - January
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 12, 2017 at 9:09 Quote
Hey!

Going to be in the Indio area on vacation the first week of January with my bike. Trying to plan a short trip towards the coast to do some riding as the desert trails get a bit boring. Not familiar with the area at all including what the weather is like in January.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? so far I'm considering the Laguna beach area, Southridge, Chino Hills, Loma Linda and Sycamore canyon. Essentially looking for a spot int he greater LA area within about 2 hours drive from Indio. Riding a 6" travel 29er so hoping for some reasonable climbs and fun descents. I'm trying to research on trailforks but with all the riding areas its become a bit daunting.

Anyone have any suggestions for some fun trails with suitable weather this time of year?

Many thanks in advance!

Posted: Dec 12, 2017 at 16:40 Quote
Broughen wrote:
Hey!

Going to be in the Indio area on vacation the first week of January with my bike. Trying to plan a short trip towards the coast to do some riding as the desert trails get a bit boring. Not familiar with the area at all including what the weather is like in January.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? so far I'm considering the Laguna beach area, Southridge, Chino Hills, Loma Linda and Sycamore canyon. Essentially looking for a spot int he greater LA area within about 2 hours drive from Indio. Riding a 6" travel 29er so hoping for some reasonable climbs and fun descents. I'm trying to research on trailforks but with all the riding areas its become a bit daunting.

Anyone have any suggestions for some fun trails with suitable weather this time of year?

Many thanks in advance!

The weather here is never consistent year after year. So far we have not received any measurable amount of rain for fall/winter. Everything is super dry and beat up from the summer riding. January could be the same as right now, but hopefully cooler and not in the 80s, or like last year super wet and the choices are limited.

2 hours drive from Indio can be either LA areas or Orange County. Chino Hills is very XC so it's good stuff to go for a spin and get a good workout in, so I would say skip it with all other things out here. Watch out for Southridge on the weekends. They run a local winter series DH and enduro races every other weekend. With that said the courses are marked allowing you to have some fun and follow the arrows for some loops.

Orange County:
Santiago Truck Trail to Old Camp and back down to the luge. The two local area favorites are the Laguna Coast Wilderness / Aliso and Woods Reg. Parks areas and Santiago Oaks, but the Oaks are only partially open due to a fire. All 3 areas are in the OC parks system, but they will close after a day of rain so check their alerts tab on the OC parks website if it has rained in the last 48 hours. If it's fully open from the fire along with the Laguna/Aliso area the DH to try out are Rock-It, Lynx, Meadows, Mentally Sensitive, TNA/Laguna Ridge, 5 Oaks, Lizard, and Old Emerald Falls or Trail. At the Oaks - Chutes trail, yucca, Peralta, Hawk, waterfall, and cactus are all the fun predominately DH traveled trails varying from fast, flowy, twisty, to steep and rocky. San Juan Trail off Ortega Hwy (Hwy 74) and coming from Indio your drive brings you to the top of the shuttle drop off which would be advantageous.

LA Area is outside that 2 hour window you're asking about for certain areas, but here you go.
Mt. Wilson and they have shuttling services so take advantage of that, Turnbull Canyon, but I would say use Trailforks for trails above the Pasadena/Monrovia/Sierra Madre aea.

But coming from Indio there are some other places out there to not overlook. Vail Lake in Temecula, the SART in the Angeles Oaks area south of Big Bear, or the Big Bear area if there's no snow. The fire road trails that surround Big Bear Mtn Resort and Snow Summit should be open. Those are the Nat'l forest trails.

Posted: Dec 13, 2017 at 7:40 Quote
sigalphablott wrote:
Broughen wrote:
Hey!

Many thanks in advance!

The weather here is never consistent year after year. So far we have not received any measurable amount of rain for fall/winter. Everything is super dry and beat up from the summer riding. January could be the same as right now, but hopefully cooler and not in the 80s, or like last year super wet and the choices are limited.

2 hours drive from Indio can be either LA areas or Orange County. Chino Hills is very XC so it's good stuff to go for a spin and get a good workout in, so I would say skip it with all other things out here. Watch out for Southridge on the weekends. They run a local winter series DH and enduro races every other weekend. With that said the courses are marked allowing you to have some fun and follow the arrows for some loops.

Orange County:
Santiago Truck Trail to Old Camp and back down to the luge. The two local area favorites are the Laguna Coast Wilderness / Aliso and Woods Reg. Parks areas and Santiago Oaks, but the Oaks are only partially open due to a fire. All 3 areas are in the OC parks system, but they will close after a day of rain so check their alerts tab on the OC parks website if it has rained in the last 48 hours. If it's fully open from the fire along with the Laguna/Aliso area the DH to try out are Rock-It, Lynx, Meadows, Mentally Sensitive, TNA/Laguna Ridge, 5 Oaks, Lizard, and Old Emerald Falls or Trail. At the Oaks - Chutes trail, yucca, Peralta, Hawk, waterfall, and cactus are all the fun predominately DH traveled trails varying from fast, flowy, twisty, to steep and rocky. San Juan Trail off Ortega Hwy (Hwy 74) and coming from Indio your drive brings you to the top of the shuttle drop off which would be advantageous.

LA Area is outside that 2 hour window you're asking about for certain areas, but here you go.
Mt. Wilson and they have shuttling services so take advantage of that, Turnbull Canyon, but I would say use Trailforks for trails above the Pasadena/Monrovia/Sierra Madre aea.

But coming from Indio there are some other places out there to not overlook. Vail Lake in Temecula, the SART in the Angeles Oaks area south of Big Bear, or the Big Bear area if there's no snow. The fire road trails that surround Big Bear Mtn Resort and Snow Summit should be open. Those are the Nat'l forest trails.

Wow, Thanks dude! So much good information. This is extremely helpful.

If you had to narrow it down to one ride in the ~15mile/2000-3000ft climb range which area/trails would you recommend between the Laguna areas and Santiago oaks?

Thanks again! your help is much appreciated!

Posted: Dec 13, 2017 at 17:33 Quote
Broughen wrote:
sigalphablott wrote:
Broughen wrote:
Hey!

Many thanks in advance!

Orange County:

If you had to narrow it down to one ride in the ~15mile/2000-3000ft climb range which area/trails would you recommend between the Laguna areas and Santiago oaks?

Ya man!! With the current limited state at Santiago Oaks from the fire damage and debris, a 15 miles for 2000-3000 feet of climbing ride is definitely going to be the Laguna Area!

I recommend looking up the trail map on the OC Parks website for the Aliso and Woods Regional Park, or pull up the Laguna Coast Wilderness map which connects to the Crystal Cove State Park area.

Aliso and Woods can be linked together with the Laguna Coast area, but it would be easier to link trails in Laguna and Crystal Cove SP. I'll pull together a possible route or at least the trails not to be missed. It's worth the look, but go check out BKXC youtube video about his trip to Laguna this year. A lot of what I'll recommend is on there and then some.

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 6:33 Quote
sigalphablott wrote:
Broughen wrote:
sigalphablott wrote:

Orange County:

Ya man!! With the current limited state at Santiago Oaks from the fire damage and debris, a 15 miles for 2000-3000 feet of climbing ride is definitely going to be the Laguna Area!

I recommend looking up the trail map on the OC Parks website for the Aliso and Woods Regional Park, or pull up the Laguna Coast Wilderness map which connects to the Crystal Cove State Park area.

Aliso and Woods can be linked together with the Laguna Coast area, but it would be easier to link trails in Laguna and Crystal Cove SP. I'll pull together a possible route or at least the trails not to be missed. It's worth the look, but go check out BKXC youtube video about his trip to Laguna this year. A lot of what I'll recommend is on there and then some.

Awesome! Thanks again man! You have made planning this out about 10X easier.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012148
Mobile Version of Website