Bike Rack in Truck Bed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Bike Rack in Truck Bed
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2017 at 14:28 Quote
Looking for anybody that has installed a 2 inch receiver in their pickup next to the rear window for purpose of bike rack. I could put my kuat in the receiver and have all bikes above the storage area, also be apply to tilt the kuat out of the way.

Posted: Dec 12, 2017 at 17:10 Quote
That is really hard to follow.

I have a bed rack for three bikes and a kuat for three more. It works great. If I lower the kuat to the ground, I can open the f150 4x4 bed and nothing touches.

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 at 10:26 Quote
tbartoncv wrote:

I have a bed rack for three bikes and a kuat for three more. It works great. If I lower the kuat to the ground, I can open the f150 4x4 bed and nothing touches.

The application for this idea is where to put bikes when pulling a camper. I would like full use of the truck bed, so I could take my rack and slide it into an elevated (at or above the bed sides) 2 inch receiver installed by the rear window.

photo

Posted: Dec 13, 2017 at 18:22 Quote
What? Crazy ideas are awesome and make changes. Are you wanting to put a trailer hitch in the bed of your truck? Super unclear.

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 6:12 Quote
lanham wrote:
Looking for anybody that has installed a 2 inch receiver in their pickup next to the rear window for purpose of bike rack. I could put my kuat in the receiver and have all bikes above the storage area, also be apply to tilt the kuat out of the way.
We build solid racks that completely clear any tailgate.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=162519734357551&id=100017985765931
www.altaracks.com
Offroad machine for bike carrying

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 6:23 Quote
lanham wrote:
tbartoncv wrote:

The application for this idea is where to put bikes when pulling a camper. I would like full use of the truck bed, so I could take my rack and slide it into an elevated (at or above the bed sides) 2 inch receiver installed by the rear window.

photo

Interesting idea. A buddy of mine built a wooden rack in the bed of his truck. Not very secure from thieves. I pull a trailer and I use a Dakine pad over the gate and it works well.

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 8:47 Quote
lanham wrote:
tbartoncv wrote:

photo

So you want this weird solution so that you can use the same rack on your hitch behind the truck or above the bed? Sounds like you or someone with metal working skills could fab something pretty easy if you're okay with drilling through the bed and possibly frame.

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2017 at 10:40 Quote
Will1848 wrote:
lanham wrote:
tbartoncv wrote:

photo

So you want this weird solution so that you can use the same rack on your hitch behind the truck or above the bed? Sounds like you or someone with metal working skills could fab something pretty easy if you're okay with drilling through the bed and possibly frame.

I have a bike rack, why make another bike contraption for when I pull a trailer. Take my existing rack, slide it into a receiver in and above the bed line. Now I can open my tailgate and have easy access to all the room under the bikes and when I take the bikes off the rack I can utilize the racks swing and position the rack out of the way. I don't think it's so weird, I know somebody has done this and was hoping they were a PB member. Yes, I would need to talk to a fab shop because I am sure it would need some support from the base of the truck bed. I'll post a pic when it's finished.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
Ianham - Did you ever make this work? I love this idea.

Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 10:54 Quote
I use bolt on front axle holders. Bolt straight to the bed rail behind rear window.Bang a dent in bead rail with the hammer so qr easy to spin. Could raise rear of bikes up with plywood/wingnut leaving storage under. Long fat cable is security. (Weak but better than none) nice n cheap. Front wheels kept with the same bungee cord that came with the truck (careful with discs) bolt on front axle holders are cheap, like 10-20 bucks on amazon. No fabricator needed. Just a drill and a hammer (or a rock????)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023947
Mobile Version of Website