Hi, SPENGLE here - ask us anything...

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Hi, SPENGLE here - ask us anything...
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 9:52 Quote
Hi Folks

so, 440 comments makes for quite an unruly bunch of questions (and flames geez!!).

you may have seen our little edit?

Views: 19,772    Faves: 37    Comments: 37

We are keen to answer your questions, so feel free to drop them in this thread and we will get to it!

More signal, less noise will definitely help to get the questions answered - and yes, we know you are a little bit scared because it's different - but that's ok - we are here to help lol

See you all next week....

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 10:29 Quote
A big concern I have about these wheels is their ride quality. They look like they would feel a lot harsher than other wheels but you guys mentioned you had taken steps to make them comfortable and compliant. So my question is what are the steps you have taken and how are you sure those steps actually worked to make these wheels ride nicely? Thanks!

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 10:34 Quote
SPENGLE wrote:
We are keen to answer your questions, so feel free to drop them in this thread and we will get to it!

More signal, less noise will definitely help to get the questions answered - and yes, we know you are a little bit scared because it's different - but that's ok - we are here to help lol

See you all next week....

Yes that must be it.. Dead Horse lol

Posted: Dec 18, 2017 at 4:07 Quote
mistermtb wrote:
A big concern I have about these wheels is their ride quality. They look like they would feel a lot harsher than other wheels but you guys mentioned you had taken steps to make them comfortable and compliant. So my question is what are the steps you have taken and how are you sure those steps actually worked to make these wheels ride nicely? Thanks!

thanks for the question :-)

first off we must acknowledge that 'ride quality' is a subjective term, so while you may like one set of wheels it may mean that someone else doesn't - in a similar manner to your favourite saddle etc.

the 'what' of our process involves the volume and orientation of the fibre, the thicknesses used in the rim, and a bunch of other related steps.

Then it comes down to riding them, we go through a rigorous process of riding; different sizes of riders, different styles etc, and then we ask the riders for feedback. We can measure and calibrate in a lab (and we do) but the real world testing helps us to then qualify what the data says.

And yes, they are pretty stiff, but they are comfortable to ride and hopefully this will bear out as we get them out for reviews in feb!

Some words from our latest test pilot....

"How are the wheels? No complaints so far! Real nice feel. Took some getting used to in the turns as the flex isn’t like my hopes (also have nobby nics on compared to my usual dual ply Mary’s).

More flex, less flex? Less flex, I think.... having been admittedly dubious I was nicely surprised”

hope this helps?

cheers

Posted: Dec 31, 2017 at 20:31 Quote
Hello Spengle,
Very interesting and I'm a bike tech junkie and was running up to 5 Rohloffs on SC bikes. I ran early ENVEs and have been recently ran the Derby rims for about 3-3 1/2 years. I love Ray's rims (along with the silent Onyx hubs).
1) As I really like the WIDE rims (38mm internal/41mm OSM), when are you going to build a wider rim for the 27.5/650b ?
2) Will you offer the Onyx Sprague Clutch silent hubs integrated into your rear wheels?

Thanx Doug L (FatHub)

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 1:42 Quote
fat-hub wrote:
Hello Spengle,
Very interesting and I'm a bike tech junkie and was running up to 5 Rohloffs on SC bikes. I ran early ENVEs and have been recently ran the Derby rims for about 3-3 1/2 years. I love Ray's rims (along with the silent Onyx hubs).
1) As I really like the WIDE rims (38mm internal/41mm OSM), when are you going to build a wider rim for the 27.5/650b ?
2) Will you offer the Onyx Sprague Clutch silent hubs integrated into your rear wheels?

Thanx Doug L (FatHub)

Hi Doug

thanks for the questions :-)

in reply, it's unlikely we would go as far wide as 38mm (certainly in the foreseeable future), one of the key areas that riders have asked about is agility, and going that wide is going to impact that aspect - for sure comfort is important, but agility and responsiveness is where we are looking.

and 2, we are always looking to develop our offering, so this is something that we have/are looking into at the moment, it's certainly possible you may see this happening this year!

hope that helps!

SPENGLE

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 20:53 Quote
SPENGLE wrote:
fat-hub wrote:
Hello Spengle,

Thanx Doug L (FatHub)

Hi Doug

thanks for the questions :-)

in reply, it's unlikely we would go as far wide as 38mm (certainly in the foreseeable future), one of the key areas that riders have asked about is agility, and going that wide is going to impact that aspect - for sure comfort is important, but agility and responsiveness is where we are looking.

and 2, we are always looking to develop our offering, so this is something that we have/are looking into at the moment, it's certainly possible you may see this happening this year!

hope that helps!

SPENGLE

I have to disagree with you on the '38mm being too wide for agility'.....Do you see an 8" wide car rally tire on a 4" wide rim....NO it'd roll all over the place and this is what 'narrow bead' bike tires do to destroy agility and predictability in wallowing all over the trail. You are definitely not understanding the technology of running a wider bead to match the wider casing......that is unless Spengle is also changing the laws of physics....???!!!!

Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 13:55 Quote
So much for the open and informative dialogue......

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 18:38 Quote
Do these things stay straight?

If this meant a rim that I didn't have to true constantly, and it rode/felt as good as traditional rims. I would buy some.

If you give me a free sample I could do some DH/freeride testing for you guys tup

Posted: Feb 3, 2018 at 11:07 Quote
Well interesting read and well that ended quicker than a carbon rim on a mtb.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033234
Mobile Version of Website