Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
ifindoubtflatout wrote:
photo
photo
There you have it folks... A 750ml bottle in a large 145 frame.

Wow, that's what I need. What bottle cage are you using? Also what are the dimensions of the plate so I can make one if you dont mind?

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
mistermanny wrote:

How are you getting along with your X2?
Did you have issues setting up the Rockshox?

I'm very light at about 63kg and I'm not very picky with my rear shock setup. I've just got the rebound as fast as I can and the compression open with 30% sag at about 112psi. I do bottem out but it's not harsh. I will probably put 2 or 3 tokens in the air can, maybe 4?

This is my first air shock, I've only ever had coil shocks in the past.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 15:18 Quote
Connie2003 wrote:
ifindoubtflatout wrote:
photo
photo
There you have it folks... A 750ml bottle in a large 145 frame.

Wow, that's what I need. What bottle cage are you using? Also what are the dimensions of the plate so I can make one if you dont mind?
I will give you the dimensionsonce I've patented them. lol....I will be taking it for a shake down tomorrow so I will report back tomorrow evening if all is good.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 16:23 Quote
Pich85 wrote:
Thanks Connie I bought the orange aeris 145 but the frame says aeris am, is that still a aeris 145 frame?

Don't forget to post some pics of your orange 145 Frame.
I also ordered one in orange, and would love to see some pics Smile

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 21:52 Quote
Hi there,

Good info in this thread. I am looking at a large AM9 frameset for racing enduro. I am 183cm, 80kg.
I will be using a float x2 shock since I already have one at 230x65 lying idle from a previous bike.
Just wondering whether I should go for the old or new linkage? Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 21:59 Quote
Original Link
• Very progressive
• Initially soft, then sharp ramp-up
• Sits low to the ground
• Suited to "glued to the ground" riders

3R Link
• Moderately progressive
• Firm and lively with less pronounced ramp-up
• Sits high in the travel
• Suited to "hop and pop" riders

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 22:26 Quote
Hmmm, interesting. Sounds like I'd prefer the original link. Not a huge fan of firm-feeling suspension. Ground huggy all the way for me.
Thank you.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 22:37 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
Hmmm, interesting. Sounds like I'd prefer the original link. Not a huge fan of firm-feeling suspension. Ground huggy all the way for me.
Thank you.

Good comparison by rmr.

I had the original link and now the rrr link both with a super deluxe air. It still has some of that ground huggy feeling (maybe not as glued to the ground as the original), but sits higher in the travel which I like for a few reasons - more useful travel when you take a medium to big hit and better pedal clearance (the bb height is low!). For me the steep ramp up of the original link with the air shock was enough to go looking elsewhere and pick up the rrr link when it became available. That being said I never tried it with a coil.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 22:40 Quote
Suspension curves can be described in positive or negative ways.

A highly progressive motion ratio curve could be described as supple, with great bottom-out resistance; it could also be called wallowy, yet unwilling to yield full travel.

A milder curve could be described as supportive and lively or harsh and lacking compliance.

I'm happy with the original link with a coil. Haven't tried it with an air shock; if I did, I would want the lowest compression ratio I could get (large spring volume with zero reducers).

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 2:38 Quote
RRR link with a coil shock works extremely well. The sag measurement didn't seem to change much from before so the extra support is maybe not so noticeable on a coil. With the new link I now have a properly supple 150mm bike with less feedback through the pedals than before. I can still hop and pop off stuff quite easily when I just want to have a bit of fun, which I do think takes a little bit extra effort than before but the trade off is worth it. I've also had to add a few clicks of LSC, whereas before I wasn't running any, and I also had to speed up the rebound a couple of clicks. Overall it's a massive win for the RRR link.

For reference I'm on a standard Bomber shock with a 325lb spring (online calculators recommend 340-350lb springs) and I weigh around 76-77kg.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 6:02 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Original Link
• Very progressive
• Initially soft, then sharp ramp-up
• Sits low to the ground
• Suited to "glued to the ground" riders

3R Link
• Moderately progressive
• Firm and lively with less pronounced ramp-up
• Sits high in the travel
• Suited to "hop and pop" riders

Does this mean the RRR linkage has a lower leverage ratio than the original link? I’ve ordered a V3 AM9 without a shock, since I had one laying around.

This shock has a M/M tune. Might that be too much damping for the relatively low leverage ratio? I weight 90kg/200 lbs geared up.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 7:54 Quote
Bakpoeder wrote:
Does this mean the RRR linkage has a lower leverage ratio than the original link? I’ve ordered a V3 AM9 without a shock, since I had one laying around.

This shock has a M/M tune. Might that be too much damping for the relatively low leverage ratio? I weight 90kg/200 lbs geared up.

Same stroke and same travel, so the average leverage ratio is the same. Most people would prefer L-L for a 2.3:1 leverage ratio, but a firmer tune could work for a larger rider.

photo

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
mistermanny wrote:
Pich85 wrote:
Thanks Connie I bought the orange aeris 145 but the frame says aeris am, is that still a aeris 145 frame?

Don't forget to post some pics of your orange 145 Frame.
I also ordered one in orange, and would love to see some pics Smile

How do you post pictures on here?
Some great information on shock set up here, this will be my first bike with a rear shock so I’ll probably be asking you guys hope I can tune it a little,
Just checked my new box realised the nx groupset doesn’t come with a shifter outer sheath which is a bit annoying lol

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
Is there anyone roughly about 5ft 11 riding a size ML? I’m worrying now I’ve bought the wrong size, I got the ML but not sure if the large would of been better, it isn’t built yet so can’t try it but it is 30mm longer reach than my old bike, there’s not much I can do about it now just wondering if anyone else my size rides a aeris 145 ML?

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 14:41 Quote
I'm 6'1 and ride a large which fits me perfectly with a 35mm stem. Just fit a longer stem if it feels cramped.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017593
Mobile Version of Website