Bird Aeris owners thread

Author Message
Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 2:27 Quote
Does anyone know of any tow ball mounted bike racks long enough for a large aeris145/160?

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 10:48 Quote
I use an original Thule T2. The rear wheel hangs slightly off the end, but not enough to be a problem. 1Up USA fits better and Quik-Rack better yet, from what I've heard, but they're expensive.

Vertical racks also work if your vehicle is tall enough.

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
Couldn't wait, so I borrowed a buddies rear wheel to check how the mullet setup felt.

I like Cool

140 fox36 (44 offset) = 65HTA
BB will be approx 5mm taller then my process 111.


Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 13:45 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
I use an original Thule T2. The rear wheel hangs slightly off the end, but not enough to be a problem. 1Up USA fits better and Quik-Rack better yet, from what I've heard, but they're expensive.

Vertical racks also work if your vehicle is tall enough.

It's a ford galaxy so it's fairly big. Do you know of any vertical bike racks you can get in the uk?

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
Connie2003 wrote:
It's a ford galaxy so it's fairly big. Do you know of any vertical bike racks you can get in the uk?

I do not.


mistermanny wrote:
BB will be approx 5mm taller then my process 111.

Static (unloaded) BB height isn't important. BB height at around half travel is what matters and this will be a lot lower due to more travel. I encourage you to try it, of course, but I expect it will be annoyingly low.

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 16:59 Quote
mistermanny wrote:
Couldn't wait, so I borrowed a buddies rear wheel to check how the mullet setup felt.

I like Cool

140 fox36 (44 offset) = 65HTA
BB will be approx 5mm taller then my process 111.

Which frame is this? Do you mean a 29" front wheel on a 650b frame? Or a 650b rear on a 29" bike

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 17:08 Quote
Aeris 145 27.5 frame
Frame data sheets/geometry are available @bird with 140, 150 and 160mm 27.5 forks.

From their site, a 145 with a 150mm fork has a 65.5HTA and 65.1HTA with 160mm.


If the mullet idea doesn't work...I'll be in the market for a 27.5 fork Smile

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 23:15 Quote
Connie2003 wrote:
Does anyone know of any tow ball mounted bike racks long enough for a large aeris145/160?

A friend has an XL mk1.5. It didn't get close to fitting on my Thule rack but he bought a buzzrack (buzz cruiser I think), really nice piece of kit and it fits on there OK (plus its way cheaper than Thule).

I'm about to buy longer wheel straps for my Thule rack as I've now got the conundrum of how to fit my L AM9.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 0:29 Quote
mistermanny wrote:
Aeris 145 27.5 frame
Frame data sheets/geometry are available @bird with 140, 150 and 160mm 27.5 forks.

From their site, a 145 with a 150mm fork has a 65.5HTA and 65.1HTA with 160mm.

If the mullet idea doesn't work...I'll be in the market for a 27.5 fork Smile

Oh, okay. Yes, a 700c front on a 650b frame can work, but there are still things to consider.

Even if the axle-to-crown is similar, that's just static geometry. The dynamic geometry is significantly different because the lowers of a 700c fork are longer and - often overlooked - the lower half of the 700c wheel needs to be counted. The longer fork and larger wheel radius means the dynamic geometry is a lot slacker, even for the same axle-to-crown at full extension.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something to consider.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 3:21 Quote

V3 frame turned up this morning. It is bright! I'll be putting my V2 raw frame up for sale shortly once I've swapped all the parts over

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 3:33 Quote
Connie2003 wrote:
Does anyone know of any tow ball mounted bike racks long enough for a large aeris145/160?

I have a large AM9 and it just fits on a rockymounts monorail, its not tow ball mount though. I've been liking the rack a lot, no complaints so far. Looks like they have a distributor in the UK too.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 5:19 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Oh, okay. Yes, a 700c front on a 650b frame can work, but there are still things to consider.

Even if the axle-to-crown is similar, that's just static geometry. The dynamic geometry is significantly different because the lowers of a 700c fork are longer and - often overlooked - the lower half of the 700c wheel needs to be counted. The longer fork and larger wheel radius means the dynamic geometry is a lot slacker, even for the same axle-to-crown at full extension.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something to consider.

Good info RMR...yeah, lots to consider.

It was reassuring after measuring the HTA.
As you can imagine, I was worried it was going to be much slacker.

I'm a big fan of the 29er front wheel Smile

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 6:29 Quote
rideeverything wrote:

V3 frame turned up this morning. It is bright! I'll be putting my V2 raw frame up for sale shortly once I've swapped all the parts over

What frame protection you going for? Mine is due for delivery tomorrow.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 7:14 Quote
Rothdogg wrote:
rideeverything wrote:

V3 frame turned up this morning. It is bright! I'll be putting my V2 raw frame up for sale shortly once I've swapped all the parts over

What frame protection you going for? Mine is due for delivery tomorrow.

I've got a roll of clear vinyl arriving tomorrow, will be using that. It was refreshing not worrying about stone chips and scratches on the raw frame, as you could just buff them out with steel wool. But I want to keep this looking sharp

I have used invisiframe on my Trek Slash and had good experiences with that

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 7:21 Quote
I'm waiting for a roll of 3M 8671HS clear tape, but assembled the frame without it straightaway


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007965
Mobile Version of Website