Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 11:37 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Nathanb43 wrote:
Hi all, There's some great info buried away in this thread, I'm in the process of speccing my aeries am9 (going for the raw color) got a couple of questions for current owners or knowledgeable people Smile ..

1) I've chosen the 160mm Lyrik select, my local trails are fast and rocky, i also need it to handle uk bike parks - i think these would be the best for me. or would the Pike ultimate be better? they are 10mm less travel but a higher model..

2)probably been asked before - i really like the look of the coil shock. I understand the bikes shock curve is progressive, would i be better with an air shock? How are they at climbing, does the pedal switch make it any easier? i dont mind abit of a sacrifice on the ups for mega downhill performance!! I'm about 81kg with all my riding kit, would 350lbs be about right for me?

3) any photos of your am9's would be awesome, would love to see some of yours!

If anyone has any spec tips or useful info please tell me!

Nathan

1) Given that you're not super light and the bike's intentions, I'd say the Lyrik is a better chassis, specially on the new stiffer V3 frame. And you can upgrade the damper later, for a reasonable sum. I also prefer the bike's geometry with a 160mm fork

2) Like R-M-R said, the new link works with both coil and air. The bike has lots of anti-squat, so is not reliant on the shock's damping to control pedaling behavior. As such, I never use the pedal switch, and doubt you ever will.

3)

Ps that looks awesome Wink

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
Nathanb43 wrote:
125mm

Measure carefully and maybe you can squeeze in a longer dropper.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Nathanb43 wrote:
125mm

Measure carefully and maybe you can squeeze in a longer dropper.

What geometry number would be the best to look at? Currently on a Specialized enduro with a 150 post in, its at its lowest level and just about low enough for me. Short legs and long arms lol.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
First, bottom of the post's collar to top of the saddle. If that fits, confirm insertion depth.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
At 5'7 aren't you at the crossover of the sizes? Mate is a similar height on a ML AM160 with a 150 dropper. I think the V3 AM9 also has a shorter seatube so hopefully a longer post can be run for you..

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 14:00 Quote
If you're interested in second hand, I'll be listing my M/L V2 raw frame tomorrow when I get around to it. Only 6 months old

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
Just run the numbers and yes I should be able to fit a 150 post on after all! In the last few hours someone must of bought the last set of code brakes, will call them tomorrow and see what's in stock.

Where abouts in the country are you @rideeverything

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 0:58 Quote
Nathanb43 wrote:
Hi all, There's some great info buried away in this thread, I'm in the process of speccing my aeries am9 (going for the raw color) got a couple of questions for current owners or knowledgeable people Smile ..

1) I've chosen the 160mm Lyrik select, my local trails are fast and rocky, i also need it to handle uk bike parks - i think these would be the best for me. or would the Pike ultimate be better? they are 10mm less travel but a higher model..

2)probably been asked before - i really like the look of the coil shock. I understand the bikes shock curve is progressive, would i be better with an air shock? How are they at climbing, does the pedal switch make it any easier? i dont mind abit of a sacrifice on the ups for mega downhill performance!! I'm about 81kg with all my riding kit, would 350lbs be about right for me?

Nathan
I have a very similar spec, I'm 5'8' ride a ml with a 150 mm dropper and size is bang on could squeeze a 170 mm dropper on it

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 1:09 Quote
Graemehill wrote:
Nathanb43 wrote:

Nathan
I have a very similar spec, I'm 5'8' ride a ml with a 150 mm dropper and size is bang on could squeeze a 170 mm dropper on it

Pedals really well compared to my old enduro, as for the forks, I've specced 160mm lyrik ultimate so have the 2.1 charger and the feel great, im heavy so also like the extra bit of stiffness in the chassis over the pikes

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 1:17 Quote
Nathanb43 wrote:
Just run the numbers and yes I should be able to fit a 150 post on after all! In the last few hours someone must of bought the last set of code brakes, will call them tomorrow and see what's in stock.

Where abouts in the country are you @rideeverything

Down in Berkshire, local to Bird HQ but willing to travel within reason, or ship at buyers expense

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2824661/

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 1:19 Quote

Here's my new one out on dawn patrol this morning

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 4:01 Quote
Nice to see a couple of new AM9's. Both look great Cool

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:32 Quote
So I ordered my Am9 this morning Big Grin

I managed to get the last size M frame in the raw color before they have more in stock in November!

I've gone for the M because I'm 5ft 6 to be exact! I think it will be a perfect fit for me.

Only thing I missed out on was the code rsc's, gone for shimano Xt M8120, anyone tried them?

Some lovely bikes there gents

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 12:08 Quote
I have the xt 4pots, feel really good, more modulation than the maguras I like

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 13:10 Quote
Graemehill wrote:
I have the xt 4pots, feel really good, more modulation than the maguras I like

Only thing that put me off was I had a pair in 2017 and the bite point would wildly change as soon as they warmed up - Ive read the newer ones don't suffer from this problem. Looking forward to trying them now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009187
Mobile Version of Website