Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 5:07 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Weighting 90kg with gear and having a tendency to do stupid crap like 2m hucks to flat I guess I could be interested.

Currently riding on a 160mm 36 Rhythm, it's a nice fork and handles strong impacts and balls to the wall riding better than the Lyrik I had before, but lacks in comfort and small bump sensitivity. On the other hand, while RS states longer service intervals for their forks, my experience is that you need to do the lowers quite frequently otherwise they'll start to feel dry quickly.

Was considering to either slap the Z1 coil conversion into my 36 or wait for some cheap Marzocchi version of the 38 to come out but now the Zeb left me wondering

Similar issues with my Lyrik Arierep (overly firm and sometimes harsh feeling) so after a few months of riding it I'm now looking at options for tuning or replacing it completely. The problem I have is that my previous fork is an Avalanche Pike which is still the best damped fork I've ever ridden, so I could just replace the creaking CSU and run it again, but I prefer the extra stiffness of the Lyrik so I just need to decide where best to spend my cash.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 5:47 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Weighting 90kg with gear and having a tendency to do stupid crap like 2m hucks to flat I guess I could be interested.

Currently riding on a 160mm 36 Rhythm, it's a nice fork and handles strong impacts and balls to the wall riding better than the Lyrik I had before, but lacks in comfort and small bump sensitivity. On the other hand, while RS states longer service intervals for their forks, my experience is that you need to do the lowers quite frequently otherwise they'll start to feel dry quickly.

Was considering to either slap the Z1 coil conversion into my 36 or wait for some cheap Marzocchi version of the 38 to come out but now the Zeb left me wondering

the new 38mm Zeb looks freaking awesome and sounds like its right up your ally if you want something a bit more than the 36 rythym

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 6:15 Quote
I heart wants a Zeb, but my head says I don't need a Zeb. My coil converted 160 mm Lyrik probably weighs the same anyway. Down here in the south UK it's either soft dusty loam, or wet sloppy loam. Neither have me wanting more front end precision than I already have

Reading up on it, they don't seem to have changed anything internal with the damper, just made it so it can thread into a 38 mm stanchion
The thing that surprises me is how all the reviews talk about leaving the RC2 damper open on compression. For me I'm running HSC closed, and LSC 3 clicks from closed. And I'm only 70 kg. Running open compression resulted in a dive-y mess. Maybe it's the lack of friction from the spring side that allows me to have more usable compression?

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
rideeverything wrote:
The thing that surprises me is how all the reviews talk about leaving the RC2 damper open on compression. For me I'm running HSC closed, and LSC 3 clicks from closed. And I'm only 70 kg. Running open compression resulted in a dive-y mess. Maybe it's the lack of friction from the spring side that allows me to have more usable compression?

I suppose it depends on air pressure...I have a 2019 Lyrik RC2 and run it at 98 psi and no compression damping.
I weigh 80kg and I think Rockshox recommendations for my weight is about 80 psi.
Even at 98psi, it's pretty supple off the top.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 9:00 Quote
Have you heard the "inside line" podcast from vital mtb, it's all about the Zeb Cool

Worth a listen.

photo

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 9:04 Quote
Still waiting on some 27.5 stuff to complete my build (ex511, tires) Big Grin

Anyone else add some tubing, to quiet down the rattles?

photo

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 3:15 Quote
mistermanny wrote:
Anyone else add some tubing, to quiet down the rattles?

Seen some people with neat black foam tubing - would try that if I knew where to find it.
https://youtu.be/uI4oph3wP-8

On my 145LT I ran the rear gear cable under the chainstay and secured with cable ties and mastic tape - much better shifting and outer cable wear/rub reduction.
Chain guide stops any chance of tangling with chain ring - looks like you may not have a chain guide though.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 5:36 Quote
Will take another look at the cable routing for my rear derailleur.
Thanks ptld Smile

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 15:10 Quote
ptld wrote:
On my 145LT I ran the rear gear cable under the chainstay and secured with cable ties and mastic tape - much better shifting and outer cable wear/rub reduction.
Chain guide stops any chance of tangling with chain ring - looks like you may not have a chain guide though.

I guess you may be able to use the ISCG05 mounts to secure the cable to some extent. Must look at my AM9 routing as it does ghost shift on occasion.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 11:21 Quote
I’m looking for some advice on rear shock set up, I know it must of been covered here before but I scrolled through 50 pages and couldn’t find what I was looking for so I’m sorry if it’s already been covered,
I’m 11st and have the bird aeris 145 with the rock shox deluxe rear shock, I’ve got 3 and a half tokens in at 127 psi and I’m still bottoming out, I will try another token but wanted to ask is the megneg a good upgrade for this bike or doesn’t it suit it well? I’m hoping to eventually get the 160 link but need to save up for longer forks first as I’m running 140 at the moment.
The trails local to me are main down hill with nice jumps and drops and I’ve been having lots of fun on it but want to get the rear shock dialed in the best I can.
To megneg or not megneg that is the question?

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
Of all bikes in modern history, few are better suited to a MegNeg than the Aeris 145.

Also try more pressure and fewer reducers.

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 11:28 Quote
11st naked or in riding kit? My usual starting point on the rear is weight in lbs = psi on the Rockshox so that's at least 154.

How much sag are you running at the moment?

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 13:53 Quote
I'm 65kg and I'm running about 110psi. I have however many spacers come as stock. Haven't got round to getting it dialled properly. I'm running 30% sag and i bottem out frequently but its not harsh so I'm not too bothered. My local is swinley so it's not harsh on the suspension.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 15:06 Quote
Thanks guys I might give it a try then,
I’m 11st naked mate so probably a little more with the gear, I have it set to around 25% sag? Is that ok? I see so many ways to checking the sag on the back but I just roll on flat ground in the attack position and carefully look down to read it, is that way ok?

Mine came with one spacer but I had to buy more

I might of wrote down the current psi wrong in my notes so I’ll double check tomorrow

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 15:41 Quote
I'm a bit lighter than you and ended up with some mega token in there and some fettling from tf tuned. That was better in terms of bottom out, but eventually I just got the 160 link and a coil which worked much more nicely.

I've still got the shock in the box somewhere, so I'll take a look, but an air can swap is dead easy and not too expensive.

Edit : this is the token in question

https://www.tftuned.com/rockshox-deluxe-super-deluxe-gnar-dog-volume-reducer/p3373

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012435
Mobile Version of Website