Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 7:44 Quote
ifindoubtflatout wrote:
I would be buying just a frame and building it up myself.... If you shop around you can do a cracking build for 3000.

How? It would surely be cheaper to go via bird?

Frame is £1500 and then a set of pikes are £700. Not much left of £3k for the rest?

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 7:47 Quote
Depends if you have any parts from a current build you can move over. Bars, stem, seat post, seatclamp, etc can be easily swapped and save a surprising amount together

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 7:49 Quote
Just a personal opinion, but I'd go Shimano over Sram every day, even Deore 12spd over GX. I prefer the shifters ergonomics, the derailleurs are by far more robust and durable, not to mention the lower profile.

Regarding forks, I think the AM9, and specially now the V3, deserves a burlier fork than the Pike.
Anyway, overall, suspension is the last place I'd save money

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Just a personal opinion, but I'd go Shimano over Sram every day, even Deore 12spd over GX. I prefer the shifters ergonomics, the derailleurs are by far more robust and durable, not to mention the lower profile.

Regarding forks, I think the AM9, and specially now the V3, deserves a burlier fork than the Pike.
Anyway, overall, suspension is the last place I'd save money

Wow, I always thought GX = XT. But I like my current XT stuff, so shall look to stay Shimano. Why risk it!

Lyrik instead of the Pike?

Yeah, could do DC but if I'm buying a new bike I may aswell go for new kit and sell my old bike which will be easier to sell as a full bike than it will be as a frame. Plus the cost saving of buying direct is quite substantial. Makes it £1600 for top end fork, groupset, brakes, dropper and wheelset. It's quite good really. I'd probably get £1000 for my bike in it's current state.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 9:16 Quote
Frame 1500.....Lyrik ultimates 600 if you look ont tinter Web..... 100 brand x dropper...... 300/400 wheels then cockpit and brakes of choice.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 10:31 Quote
ifindoubtflatout wrote:
Frame 1500.....Lyrik ultimates 600 if you look ont tinter Web..... 100 brand x dropper...... 300/400 wheels then cockpit and brakes of choice.

This sounds like made up facts to me, sorry.

Unless they're import prices?

Lyrik Ultimates - £700
Brand x 170mm - £140
Deore 4 pots - £160
xt Groupset - £400 (if you can find one in stock)
Hunt Wheelset - £380
Bar and stem - £150
Headset - £25
Brake Rotors - £40
Rear Maxle - £20
Saddle - £20
Seat Clamp - £10
Tyres - £80

That's well over £3600 when the same kit from Bird will save you £300 and not having to build it yourself and the warranty all from one shop. It's the big attraction to companies like Bird, the saving of the complete bike. I done this with my Mk1 and kicked myself. We forget about the detials.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
ifindoubtflatout wrote:
Al get mi coat. lol.

lol Sorry! I've been there, and it cost me a fortune in the long run :p Good experience though, and for sure the best way to do it when doing a 'dream build' or chasing 2nd hand bargains!

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 11:27 Quote
I've just done it myself with a Aeris 145.... Swapped over my old parts from my bike.....so it didn't work out too bad..... But I've just treated myself to a set Lyrik ultimates as they was giving them away in. Germany.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 11:45 Quote
Did the same with my Aeris 145 Mullet build.
Had a stumpjumper ST collecting dust, so I sold the frame.
This provided everything for the build, except for the rear wheel...stumpjumper was a 29er.

Taller front also takes care of the low stack height Cool

photo

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 12:20 Quote
beggers87 wrote:
ifindoubtflatout wrote:

I find the major thing is whether you're willing to search and/or wait for a bargain or if you want everything straight away.

I got some real bargains for my most recent hardtail build but it was about 8 months in the making

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 12:48 Quote
I prefer to do the self build as I think it feels more personal how the bike is rather than buying a ready built one..... then a couple of months down the line you start to think...... Should I change this and that. Don't get me wrong, the Bird builds are bang for buck..... I just like the bike to feel like My bike if you know what I mean.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
DC1988 wrote:
beggers87 wrote:
ifindoubtflatout wrote:

I find the major thing is whether you're willing to search and/or wait for a bargain or if you want everything straight away.

I got some real bargains for my most recent hardtail build but it was about 8 months in the making

This is so very true. I’ve spent around 2750 euros on my V3 AM9, and the only ‘mid-ranged’ components on it are the E1700 wheels and Lyrik RC fork (for which I opted since these have the cartridge style damper instead of the bladder one).

The only thing is; it took me about half a year to get most things.

Pro-tip when building up a new bike; subscribe to the newsletter from RCZ bikeshop. Europe only!

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
Is anyone using spacers on their front wheels? I have a non boost (100) Pike on my 145 LT that I'm thinking about replacing but don't really want to go all in for some new wheels as well...all new forks now seem to be 110

Any pros or cons to spacers? I have seen one or two but would appreciate recommendations if people are using them successfully!

Thanks

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 0:39 Quote
My mate used the hope spacers for a while, which required the front wheel redishing but it worked fine.
I think mrp do a kit which doesn't require redishing, but not sure what compatibility is like

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.038957
Mobile Version of Website