Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 3:48 Quote
It all depends on what Hubs you're running.... As Graeme said the Hope one require a wheel reddish but the other ones don't.... Only problem is with the other ones.... Some of the don't attach to the hub so the spacers fall out when you remove the wheel.... Which is a PITA..... Even more so when you forget the spacers at home when you've driven 2 hours to ride and then realise you've left them on the wotlrk bench at home.... Not that it's happened to me.... Cough cough.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 4:58 Quote
ifindoubtflatout wrote:
It all depends on what Hubs you're running.... As Graeme said the Hope one require a wheel reddish but the other ones don't.... Only problem is with the other ones.... Some of the don't attach to the hub so the spacers fall out when you remove the wheel.... Which is a PITA..... Even more so when you forget the spacers at home when you've driven 2 hours to ride and then realise you've left them on the wotlrk bench at home.... Not that it's happened to me.... Cough cough.

Thats interesting about the fronts needing redishing. I'm currently running the opposite on my AM9, non boost fork (new pike arrives today!) and I have the hope pro4 with boost adapter on the rear, no dishing on the rear required - wheel stayed plumb centre, chainline looks sketchy but feels fine to ride.

Currently waiting on a fresh set of hope wheels to match new forks however with the long delays I've got some front adapters arriving too so I can fit the new fork straight away - really hadn't counted on redishing though!

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 5:51 Quote
I'm just waiting on new forks and the front adapter for my Pro 4.......not sure about the rear but I though.... I thought you would need redish if it's the hope spacer.... Don't quote me as I'm not a doctor. lol.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 6:19 Quote
I bought a cheap eBay boost adapter which doesn't need a re-dish, worked fine with no obvious issues when riding. Just annoying to fit the wheel in the first place with a small spacer each side.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 6:50 Quote
ifindoubtflatout wrote:
I'm just waiting on new forks and the front adapter for my Pro 4.......not sure about the rear but I though.... I thought you would need redish if it's the hope spacer.... Don't quote me as I'm not a doctor. lol.

I've just had a look and it would appear I am in the wrong (nothing new there), the rear adapter just adds 3mm each side so wheel stays centre. front adapter is drive side only therefore would result in the wheel being off centre - with that in mind I'm tempted to go the cheap ebay route and not stress over dishing!

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 7:17 Quote
I'd go the dishing route and get a proper adapter, every day. By proper, I mean the ones that replace the hub caps, instead of the loose spacer washers.

My rear hub is a 142mm DT 350, running on Boostinator adapters for almost 3 years now. I'm fairly heavy at 90kg, ride at a reasonable pace on EWS qualifier trails and DH tracks, eat rear tyres for breakfast and my rear wheel has no abnormal, adapter related, issues.

Don't get scared by the dishing thing. In my case I just had to tighten the non-driveside nipples a quarter turn and loosen the drive side ones a quarter turn. Mind, I'm as far as a wheel builder as it gets, but it's just a tiny adjustment. Just make sure to do a tighten pass, turning every non-driveside nipples the same and check, then do the loosening on the opposite side and check.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
I have a spare 142 hope wheel that I was considering doing the boostinator conversion on, I used it to quickly swap to a mud tyre on the rear on my previous bike. What's the chances that a boostinator conversion is going to allow me to hot swap rear wheels without having to tweak caliper and mech settings ????

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
mistermanny wrote:
Did the same with my Aeris 145 Mullet build.
Had a stumpjumper ST collecting dust, so I sold the frame.
This provided everything for the build, except for the rear wheel...stumpjumper was a 29er.

Taller front also takes care of the low stack height Cool

I am also going mullet soon, like more stack height being tall and think it will ride nice. You got a 150 mm fork on right?

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 14:20 Quote
tomwilcox wrote:
I have a spare 142 hope wheel that I was considering doing the boostinator conversion on, I used it to quickly swap to a mud tyre on the rear on my previous bike. What's the chances that a boostinator conversion is going to allow me to hot swap rear wheels without having to tweak caliper and mech settings ????
Brake caliper would be ok as you run a spacer but gears won't as the cassette will be sitting too far inboard.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 17:56 Quote
jazzythemost wrote:
I am also going mullet soon, like more stack height being tall and think it will ride nice. You got a 150 mm fork on right?

Fork is a 140mm (fox36).
HTA is 64.5, which actually feels awesome on the trail.

Was worried about the Geo...no longer an issue Cool

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 23:59 Quote
eddieantifreeze wrote:
ifindoubtflatout wrote:

I've just had a look and it would appear I am in the wrong (nothing new there), the rear adapter just adds 3mm each side so wheel stays centre. front adapter is drive side only therefore would result in the wheel being off centre - with that in mind I'm tempted to go the cheap ebay route and not stress over dishing!

I can recommend the MRP Boost kit which I'm using on the front of my AM9. The parts are well made, it works great and no dishing required. I have a Hope kit on the rear and that required a re-dish.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 1:45 Quote
What frame bags or mounting straps are people using? Pictures welcome.

i've got an XL v3 AM9 with rockshox ultimate coil, i've positioned a bottle cage to fit a 620ml bottle.

I want to be able to ride without a pack, but id normally carry spare tube, mini pump, co2, minitool, tyre worms, phone and keys

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 2:09 Quote
There's a company called weecog that will do you a little frame for the front triangle in front of the shock mount. Bit pricey, but very sturdy. I'm on a medium frame and I've got puncture kit, co2, cable ties etc etc in there. Reckon you'd get a tube in an XL frame given the larger amount of space available.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 2:10 Quote
Dakine Hot Laps Gripper near the BB and Blackburn Outpost Corner Bag behind the head-tube.

Alpine Threadworks Performance Satchel is the best value custom bag I've found if you want to use all available space.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 3:42 Quote
mistermanny wrote:
jazzythemost wrote:

Fork is a 140mm (fox36).
HTA is 64.5, which actually feels awesome on the trail.

Was worried about the Geo...no longer an issue Cool

tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006611
Mobile Version of Website