Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
I'm 5' 8" with a 6ft arm span (knuckle dragger)and ride a ml v3 in the peaks, Wharncliffe etc and love it. Think span is a important measurement as it tells you more about what bike size will fit, especially as standover isn't a issue

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
Hamez-123 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
The reach is long, but the head-tube angle isn't overly slack, so the front-centre isn't nearly as long as a DH bike, Geometry, Grim Donut, etc. with a similar reach. This means it's not as difficult to get weight on the front wheel as you might think for such a long reach.

Medium is the safe bet; you won't dislike it. ML could work if you want to try a very long bike, especially if you have a long torso. If so, be prepared for it to require more assertive input on slow, tight, flat terrain and for easy trails to become less exciting.
Thank you for your advice, I'm really not sure I think il have to sleep on it.
Out of interest if I went with a medium but put a 170mm Zeb would that still handle easier than fha m/l but still be more stable at speed than the m?

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 9:02 Quote
Hamez-123 wrote:
Hi guys, I am looking at getting a Bird Aeris AM9 V3, I am 5'8 and do not know to get a medium or medium long as the medium long has the same reach as my mates yt tues XL. I live in the peaks so will ride a lot of steep fast technical downhill and then ride a lot of bike park like bike park wales, havoc bike park, and farmer johns.
Any recommendation on what size to get would be greatly appreciated

Maybe book a demo up at hamsterly? You can book them on birds website. Only 20 quid for the day and you can give it a go. I'm trying a large AM9 on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing how it feels

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 9:16 Quote
A demo is tremendously valuable for purchasing confidence and as a learning experience. At that price, it barely covers the wear & tear + depreciation a bike incurs on a ride - it could be cheaper than riding your own bike! Definitely worth it.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 8:03 Quote
I'm 6' 1" and had a demo on a Large AM9. It was OK, but did feel very long in the reach. I bought a Medium-Long and it's perfect for me. I was nervous until I picked it up but after a week smashing it down trails in Italy I'm so glad I went for that size.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 9:22 Quote
Maffers1308 wrote:
I'm 6' 1" and had a demo on a Large AM9. It was OK, but did feel very long in the reach. I bought a Medium-Long and it's perfect for me. I was nervous until I picked it up but after a week smashing it down trails in Italy I'm so glad I went for that size.
I went with the medium large in the end after speaking to the guys at bird as I don't have the time to do a demo hopefully when it comes it's a good fit

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 9:30 Quote
It will be a longer fit for your size than most companies recommend, but it's still not as extreme as may be recommended by Pole or Geometron - or the Grim Donut! - especially if we consider front-centre, not just reach.

Even geometry that is currently considered conservative would've been extreme a few years ago. Your choice of the ML size may seem average in a few years.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 10:00 Quote
If your more focused on descending, the ML would be the better choice Cool

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 5:20 Quote
Hamez-123 wrote:
Maffers1308 wrote:
I went with the medium large in the end after speaking to the guys at bird as I don't have the time to do a demo hopefully when it comes it's a good fit

It'll be spot on mate - mine's perfect for me

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 5:23 Quote
Hamez-123 wrote:
Hamez-123 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
The reach is long, but the head-tube angle isn't overly slack, so the front-centre isn't nearly as long as a DH bike, Geometry, Grim Donut, etc. with a similar reach. This means it's not as difficult to get weight on the front wheel as you might think for such a long reach.

Medium is the safe bet; you won't dislike it. ML could work if you want to try a very long bike, especially if you have a long torso. If so, be prepared for it to require more assertive input on slow, tight, flat terrain and for easy trails to become less exciting.
Thank you for your advice, I'm really not sure I think il have to sleep on it.
Out of interest if I went with a medium but put a 170mm Zeb would that still handle easier than fha m/l but still be more stable at speed than the m?

As the bike is intended to run 150mm I'd assume 160mm is the maximum you'd be able to go without having a big effect on geometry. Mine has 160mm Zeb's and it sits high up front but still climbs and descends very well. I wouldn't want to add more travel

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 5:37 Quote
Here's my baby in Italy last week....

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 6:07 Quote
hi, what size of bird am9 (v3) would you recommend for me? I'm 190 cm tall, inseam ~90 cm, weight 100 kg.

I have experience with 2 bikes only (not sure if it's relevant as those are diff bikes)
- cannodale habit carbon 3 2020 xl, it felt too long - didn't enjoy it too much
- specialized enduro comp 2020 xl, it felt ok and comfy

thanks

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 6:09 Quote

spesh enduro you mean s4 or s5?

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 6:11 Quote
carstore wrote:
hi, what size of bird am9 (v3) would you recommend for me? I'm 190 cm tall, inseam ~90 cm, weight 100 kg.

I have experience with 2 bikes only (not sure if it's relevant as those are diff bikes)
- cannodale habit carbon 3 2020 xl, it felt too long - didn't enjoy it too much
- specialized enduro comp 2020 xl, it felt ok and comfy

thanks

Not that I'm an expert, but I would say the Large AM9 would be the one for you. The reach and ETT are essentially the same as other XL sizes. You'd be best to test ride one first or speak with Bird directly - they're great to talk with.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:

spesh enduro you mean s4 or s5?

I mean s5

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007834
Mobile Version of Website