Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
I would go for the Lyriks as well.... Ive just come from Pikes to Lyrik's RC2 Ultimate and its night and day.... Im 6'1 and 14 stone and didn't realise how flexy the Pike were until I rode the lyrics. As for the brakes.... I had XT's a few years ago and switched to Sram guide RS levers + Code calipers 203 front and back....I wouldn't go back to shimanos, I've even tried a mates XTR's and I don't like the on off. I would rather be over braked than under braked to be honest. To me wheels are what make a bike so I would get the best you can afford..... Im running DT EX471'S on Pro 4 's which are bombproof.... It just depends on the type of riding you do.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
Weight makes so little difference. A half-pound is about 0.25% more total weight, which equates to well under 0.2% slower climbing and acceleration. You' may gain more time than that from the confidence of more precise steering.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
There is a lot of love for the Lyrics here which has given me food for thought as I was all but set on the Pike. But there is no point asking for advice and then ignoring it, so many thanks for your insights!

I love the fact that Bird let you spec every detail of the bike so it is right from the get go. With so many other brands, you either have to compromise or spend a fortune on upgrades so kudos to the guys at Bird....

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 13:23 Quote
It's the old..... Under biked.... Over biked debate. lol...... Ive built my 145 up to be like a mini dh bike as like to pedal up and get rowdy on the descents.... You need to think about what your riding consists of and how you like to ride and build your bike up from there.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
Just my .2c:

1. You mentioned jumping when talking about fork stiffness, but, at least in my experience, the situations where it's really relevant tend to be braking, cornering and charging through rough stuff. I think the AM9, particularly the new V3, really deserve at least a Lyrik

2. Big rotors are almost a free lunch when it comes to upgrades. For virtually no penalty they provide more power and less hand fatigue. Easy choice

Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 2:47 Quote
I was going to go with Lyriks but for an extra £45 could get Zeb's . To my mind there's no weight penalty with these forks and at 160mm travel they're the best forks I've ever used, Trail-wise superb and also bombproof on DH.

I also went for Code RSC brakes and they've more than proven themselves in the heat and dust of Italy.

Bird make it very easy to spec up for next to no extra cost

Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
DC1988 wrote:
SeanNW wrote:
What frame bags or mounting straps are people using? Pictures welcome.

i've got an XL v3 AM9 with rockshox ultimate coil, i've positioned a bottle cage to fit a 620ml bottle.

I want to be able to ride without a pack, but id normally carry spare tube, mini pump, co2, minitool, tyre worms, phone and keys

I just got the Blackburn outpost corner bag as previously recommended, fits very nicely in the front triangle behind the headtube. It might be a squeeze to fit all those things in though, would have to be a tubolito tube.

Have you got a photo of the blackburn bag on the bike? I’ve just got one and can’t position it without it interfering with the shock reservoir.

Are you on a v2 or v3 frame? I’m on a v3, and wondering if the changes to the tube set have closed up the available space behind the head tube.

Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 16:53 Quote
The Corner Bag has to be wedged tightly against the shock, but that's fine. That end of the shock barely moves.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 8:25 Quote
I'm looking at getting a new fork (Mezzer) for my 145lt (run in 160mm mode). It's a medium long.

Any recommendations on what the best offset is for this?

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Pics?

I'm not going to take a photo of my set-up because this is so simple. The frame is a v1, size Large. Picture a Corner Bag wedged behind the head-tube, long edge against the down-tube. The short edges are slightly asymmetrical; the longer of the two is against the top-tube and the shorter is against the shock.

spicer wrote:
I'm looking at getting a new fork (Mezzer) for my 145lt (run in 160mm mode). It's a medium long.

Less offset. You're probably referring to 44 mm vs. 51 mm; you can actually order the 29er with 37 mm offset, but it's a hassle and may cost a bit more.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 9:10 Quote
spicer wrote:

Brave man buying a set of Manitou's.... I looked into it a few months ago and both TF and JTECH advised against it.... Part availability in the UK is really poor. I opted for Lyriks for my 145.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
Interesting- my pikes are breaking so regularly that I really can't be dealing with them anymore. And the performance has never been what I'd hoped for. The cheapest place to buy is from Germany, and given that my orders from there arrive quicker than orders from CRC then I'm hoping that it'll be just as easy to ship them there should any issues arise.
I can always take the forks off my hardtail should I need to if these are out of action!

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
I had the same thing with the Pikes... Thats why I have Lyriks ultimates now.... I got them from a german site for £620....and they turned up in 3 days. I thought the Pikes were good but once I rode with the Lyriks on I was blown away. I nearly bought some Ohlins from JTEC but the Lyriks were too good an offer.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
Both of my fox36s are takeoffs, and purchased here on pinkbike for $450 each.
If your not in a hurry, Good Deals can be found in the BuySell section.

Just make sure the steerer tube is long enough Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006476
Mobile Version of Website