Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 15:35 Quote
Primoz wrote:
arnie86 wrote:
So with the 145 being done, is the aether taking up the space in the line or is something else coming along? Thoughts?
Did you forget about the AM160? It replaced the 145 LT.

Ah true! Forget I asked!

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 5:07 Quote

Finally....... Ive got her how I want her. Just finished her with a Deity finishing kit.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 3:06 Quote
davidwaters wrote:
There is a lot of love for the Lyrics here which has given me food for thought as I was all but set on the Pike. But there is no point asking for advice and then ignoring it, so many thanks for your insights!

I love the fact that Bird let you spec every detail of the bike so it is right from the get go. With so many other brands, you either have to compromise or spend a fortune on upgrades so kudos to the guys at Bird....

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Ended up going for Lyric Ultimate RC2s and Hope brakes. Also many thanks to Ben at Bird who spent a solid half hour helping me spec out a few bits and pieces that were showing out of stock on the website. They really do seem like a fantastic company and for that reason alone are worth doing business with. Currently waiting on AM9 frames to be delivered so hoping to get the new bike in time for christmas.

Thanks and again and I'll drop by to let you know how I get on!!

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 23:10 Quote
Is the am9 a good trail bike or is it a enduro bike that is just okay as a trail bike? How does this feel for a shorter rider (5'7")? Too much of a bike?

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 0:38 Quote
alldunworking wrote:
Is the am9 a good trail bike or is it a enduro bike that is just okay as a trail bike? How does this feel for a shorter rider (5'7")? Too much of a bike?
I'm 5'8 and use my am9 ml for everything with a pretty full.on enduro style build, it climbs well and pedals well.
Feel a bit over biked occasionally but point it down the hills and it makes up for that

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
alldunworking wrote:

You could think of it as a light enduro bike that pedals especially firmly, or you could think of it as an exceptionally stable and fast trail bike.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
The AM9, as with most enduro bikes with very good pedaling platforms, can make a great trail bike with a light build.

I'm on my second AM9, first one was a V1 (lighter, flexier frame, more progressive link) with a light(ish) build , Exo tyres, light rims, 150mm Lyrik. The current one is a V3 with a 170mm Lyrik, Code brakes, hd wheels, hd tyres, inserts, coil shock, etc.
In the end they felt as two completely different bikes, but this experience proved to me just how versatile the AM9 frame is

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
Arierep wrote:
The AM9, as with most enduro bikes with very good pedaling platforms, can make a great trail bike with a light build.

I'm on my second AM9, first one was a V1 (lighter, flexier frame, more progressive link) with a light(ish) build , Exo tyres, light rims, 150mm Lyrik. The current one is a V3 with a 170mm Lyrik, Code brakes, hd wheels, hd tyres, inserts, coil shock, etc.
In the end they felt as two completely different bikes, but this experience proved to me just how versatile the AM9 frame is

agreed...i built mine with top line specs, pike ultimate 150mm, and it came out to 33#...would have been lighter but i went with coil in the back...i run coil shocks on all my bikes now. Its just night and day to me how much more supple and smooth they are than air.

but back to your point, i agree...the AM9 can be a light but tough trail bike or a mid weight enduro machine depending on how you combine specs and frame size.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 11:18 Quote
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with the Aether7?

Is it worth upgrading the suspensions to the Ultimate from the baseline?

Cheers

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 2:13 Quote
After bird starting up years ago when i lived in Sandhurst and rode Swinley often i always said i wanted a bird - i just couldn't ever really afford it

I have only ever had HT bikes (mostly XC focused) up to this point, and when i saw the sale on the 145 i grabbed the final XL (I'm 6ft4)

Now i just need to wait on delivery for the remainder of the parts at the LBS so they can invisiframe it and build it for me

Spec wise I've had the LBS help me out on this one but i wanted to keep the price down where possible with the look to upgrade in the future as needed.

Brakes Shimano Deore BR-M6120
Fork Rockshox Yari 160mm
Grips Deity Knuckleduster
Groupset Shimano Deore M6100
Handlebar Deity Topside (Green)
Headset Brand X
Pedals Shimano GR500
Rear Axle Bird Rear Axle (148x12)
Saddle ControlTech
Seatpost Brand X Ascend 150
Shock Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate
Stem ControlTech 35mm
Tyres Hutchinson Griffus
Wheels Hope Fortus 30

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 2:50 Quote
martinmwwebb,

Congratulations on getting yourself a Bird!

Smart build. Good call on spec'ing good items where it would be costly to upgrade (ex. brakes, shock body, wheels) and leaving a reasonably-priced upgrade path elsewhere (fork damper, dropper stroke ... doesn't need much else).

If your feet are in proportion to your height, you might consider a larger pedal at some point.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 3:33 Quote
Only thing I'd really change there are the pedals, plenty of better options at that price point, specially if you consider plastic pedals.
Smart, functional build otherwise

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 3:37 Quote
And if you could get a slightly longer dropper you might be happier given your height.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 4:02 Quote
Cheers guys, Any recommendations for the pedals, i have a bashed up set of Saint's that i used on the last bike that i got on alright with, the GR500 look pretty much identical to that, and i thought new bike deserves new pedals Smile

My LBS is pretty good, once i go to collect it from the shop if i feel the dropper too small ill get it swapped out.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 5:04 Quote
Droppers always feel fine until you try one with more stroke, then you can't go back!

The Crank Brothers Stamp Large is one of the largest pedals available, if that's of interest to you. The Stamp 1 has a composite body and modest price, though some people feel the centre ridge on the Stamp 1 compromises grip. The Stamp 3 has a flatter profile, but higher price.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008759
Mobile Version of Website