Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 3:02 Quote
Tempted to try the Megneg on the 145 super deluxe tho Rolleyes

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 3:26 Quote
Do it. The 145 needs the mid-stroke support.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 16:58 Quote
Could anyone with an AM9 or similar (doesn't matter which size) take a few measurements for me please? Need to get some things ordered ahead. Thanks in advance!

1. Distance between the outer edges of the seatstays at the wheel rim, and the same for the chainstays. Also the distance between the inside of the rim and the inside of the seat tube. These are for fitting a D lock at home as part of insurance compliance.

2. Chainstay circumference. This is for a neoprene chainstay protector which come in sizes 70-100 mm, 100-125 mm, or 125-140 mm.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
bikesandboots,

I'd do it for you, except mine is a v1 and the clearance has since increased. Ensure any responses you get are from owners of the v3.

If you would consider an alternative chainstay protector, a road tire with the beads removed makes a more durable protector and you can make one for free.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 17:30 Quote
Thanks. I did wonder about the versions but figured any would be close enough. I've chosen the model, need to choose the shortest from 130/190/260/300mm while remaining reasonably versatile for the future.

I've no road tyre to hand, and I don't mind paying a small amount for the tidiness of a fitted option (as long as it doesn't have logos plastered all over it, like so many do). I also considered 3M 2228 tape, but didn't fancy sticking stuff to my new frame.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
Sensible on the lock and fair enough on the chainstay protector. You can almost always find discarded road tires at bike shops, if you want to pursue it; if not, it's not like the neoprene option is very expensive for a little convenience!

The difference in the requested dimensions from v1 to v3 could be as much as the difference between any mountain bikes, so if the difference between v1 vs. v3 won't affect the purchase, you can measure almost any mountain bike.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 4:52 Quote
Does it have to be a d lock?

I have 2 of these one front one back you needn't worry about sizing then Smile

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Heavy-Duty-Chain-Padlock/dp/B000R593CE/ref=asc_df_B000R593CE/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310632529194&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9597270824150117645&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007151&hvtargid=pla-587373981834&psc=1

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 6:02 Quote
No, it's just that I've decided on a combination of chain and D lock. That Oxford chain with padlock was the cheapest solution I found for satisfying insurance. Looking beyond ticking that box, at security (10mm chain is bolt-croppable) and longer-term use I figured I may as well go for a stronger and more flexible solution straight away.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 1:10 Quote
bikesandboots wrote:
Could anyone with an AM9 or similar (doesn't matter which size) take a few measurements for me please? Need to get some things ordered ahead. Thanks in advance!

1. Distance between the outer edges of the seatstays at the wheel rim, and the same for the chainstays. Also the distance between the inside of the rim and the inside of the seat tube. These are for fitting a D lock at home as part of insurance compliance.

2. Chainstay circumference. This is for a neoprene chainstay protector which come in sizes 70-100 mm, 100-125 mm, or 125-140 mm.

AM9 V3 large is 117mm at seat stay, 124mm at chain stay including the lizard skin wrap around protector.
As a suggestion, get a ring camera installed in your lock up, got mine set that it alerts my phone if there is any movement in the shed. Also got and alarm fitted too, can't be too careful! Was also thinking about wiring the padlock up to a tazer but not sure on the legalities there!

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 4:53 Quote
Great, thanks Tom.

Is your Lezyne protector small, medium, or large do you remember? The respective chainstay circumferences are 70-100 mm, 100-125 mm, and 125-140 mm.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
bikesandboots wrote:
Great, thanks Tom.

Is your Lezyne protector small, medium, or large do you remember? The respective chainstay circumferences are 70-100 mm, 100-125 mm, and 125-140 mm.

It measures 100mm at the rim end of the chainstay

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 7:58 Quote
Hi all, got a quick question to throw out there.

I have a v2 am9 in large fitted with 150mm lyrik

I’m considering for bike park days either fitting the 160mm airshaft (not keen on) or maybe using the reverse components to slacken out the HA.

Concerns I have

160mm I believe is a warranty problem, also slacker seat angle and higher bb. Additionally a bit of a faff to change for just a one day trip. Pros though however bit more squish and slightly slacker head angle

Reverse components is only a .5 deg difference, doesn’t change available travel but is also slackening sa and raising bb (probably minutely) but pros is super easy to add and remove.

Thoughts?

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 8:08 Quote
The spacer will increase stress on the frame more than the additional travel. Warranty terms may not explicitly prohibit such spacers, but if the warranty is your primary concern, check with Bird, as they both may have the same result.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 9:28 Quote
Anyone here bought an Aether 9c? Just ordered mine today! Looking forward to seeing it standing next to my AM9 Smile

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 11:24 Quote
Lummox wrote:
Hi all, got a quick question to throw out there.

I have a v2 am9 in large fitted with 150mm lyrik

I’m considering for bike park days either fitting the 160mm airshaft (not keen on) or maybe using the reverse components to slacken out the HA.

Concerns I have

160mm I believe is a warranty problem, also slacker seat angle and higher bb. Additionally a bit of a faff to change for just a one day trip. Pros though however bit more squish and slightly slacker head angle

Reverse components is only a .5 deg difference, doesn’t change available travel but is also slackening sa and raising bb (probably minutely) but pros is super easy to add and remove.

Thoughts?

Are you missing something from the bike now?

Have you installed the RRR linkage?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.006638
Mobile Version of Website