Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
scan wrote:
Thinking about buying an Aether 7 frame. Is a large big enough? I'm 191cm, 88 inseam.

I'm about 183 cm and that's slightly smaller than my Large AM9. I recommend the XL for you.

Connie2003 wrote:
What sort of distance can I expect to get from a chain before needing replace it?

Varies considerably with lube type, maintenance, and rider weight. If you use melted wax as the lubricant, you should get far more life than that. If you use a sticky oil and clean infrequently, there could be serious wear by this point.

There are a few techniques to increase drivetrain life. If possible with your components, you can turn the chain inside-out, rotate the chainring 90°, and rotate between multiple chains.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
scan wrote:
Thinking about buying an Aether 7 frame. Is a large big enough? I'm 191cm, 88 inseam. Anyone else with the same length?

I'd say Large is perfect. I'm 6' (185cm) and run a Medium Long AM9 and Aether 9...they're spot on for me, but if I was any taller I'd be using a Large frame

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
Keep in mind the Aether 9 Carbon fits about one size larger than the AM9.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
Mine arrived just before christmas. Not the best photo but here you all go - AM9 Size XL in Pikachellow. Slight issue with the (Hope) brakes on arrival, but Ben was very quick to respond and more than happy to get the problem sorted. Goes for invisiframe wrapping tomorrow and hopefully be out and about on the trails before long!

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 0:51 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Keep in mind the Aether 9 Carbon fits about one size larger than the AM9.

You're right - the ML Aether 9 is a bit longer than the ML AM9, but still OK for my height.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 1:28 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
scan wrote:
Thinking about buying an Aether 7 frame. Is a large big enough? I'm 191cm, 88 inseam.

I'm about 183 cm and that's slightly smaller than my Large AM9. I recommend the XL for you.

As RMR has already said I would definitely consider the XL. I'm 188cm with an 84/85cm inseam and I ride a large AM9, and while it does fit me well I think if I was a wee bit taller the XL would have been in the mix for sure. The XL Aether 7 will give you a bit more stack as well as longer reach, which I think will be an added benefit, and the 470mm seat tube will look a bit more sensible under you while still allowing a really long dropper to be fitted. Also, the XL Aether 7 has a near identical wheelbase to the large AM9 so you'll have a pretty stable feeling bike but the shorter stays and smaller wheels will still keep it feeling relatively playful.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 2:52 Quote
"There are a few techniques to increase drivetrain life. If possible with your components, you can turn the chain inside-out, rotate the chainring 90°, and rotate between multiple chains."

Can someone save me the dissappointment of taking the crank off for no reason - raceface cinch, is this possible? or does it have a "locator" type arrangement like shimano freehubs?

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
davidwaters wrote:
Mine arrived just before christmas. Not the best photo but here you all go - AM9 Size XL in Pikachellow. Slight issue with the (Hope) brakes on arrival, but Ben was very quick to respond and more than happy to get the problem sorted. Goes for invisiframe wrapping tomorrow and hopefully be out and about on the trails before long!

I’d be interested to see some closeups when the invisiframe is on if possible. I have an AM9 on order and am tossing up between invisiframe or just bog standard clear tape on the important bits.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 13:23 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
has a near identical wheelbase to the large AM9 so you'll have a pretty stable feeling bike

Stability comes mostly from the dynamic front-centre length and the dynamic mechanical trail. A tandem road bike, for example, won't be especially stable, despite the wheelbase.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 16:29 Quote
You're right - the ML Aether 9 is a bit longer than the ML AM9, but still OK for my height.>>

though ignoring reach and looking at ETT for when you at sat down the ETTs at the same. Bird are good like that ETTs are the same for same sizes across their range.

All their M/L are 630mm ETT

The reach value changes due to different seat tube angles.

I have an XL, Zero 29, AM9 and soon an Aether 9 - ETT(680mm) is the same for all.

this is help to compare:
https://www.bird.bike/frame-data-geometry/

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 2:08 Quote
AyJayDoubleyou wrote:
"There are a few techniques to increase drivetrain life. If possible with your components, you can turn the chain inside-out, rotate the chainring 90°, and rotate between multiple chains."

Can someone save me the dissappointment of taking the crank off for no reason - raceface cinch, is this possible? or does it have a "locator" type arrangement like shimano freehubs?

Looking at the chainring online it has no obvious locator mark that i can see

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 4:05 Quote
Anyone got any recommendations for an Enduro helmet that fits nice on a big oval head?

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
My new Bird Aether 9 size medium (and first full sus in 10 years), just finished the final out of the box assembly. Looking forward for my local lock-down to be lifted to go for a proper ride!

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 10:36 Quote
Anyone know what will happen now for Bird shipping to the EU post Brexit?

I know Nukeproof are in a slightly different situation but they've jacked up their prices massively as of yesterday.

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 0:12 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
Anyone know what will happen now for Bird shipping to the EU post Brexit?

Ben from Bird promised (5th of January) my frame will be send soon to me (Germany).

I hope all will work smooth, by now I see following status of order:
"Order #XXXXX was placed on 1st January 2021 and is currently Frame build queue."

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008286
Mobile Version of Website