Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 1:04 Quote
dorsden wrote:
ThinkTank45 wrote:
Anyone know what will happen now for Bird shipping to the EU post Brexit?

Ben from Bird promised (5th of January) my frame will be send soon to me (Germany).

I hope all will work smooth, by now I see following status of order:
"Order #XXXXX was placed on 1st January 2021 and is currently Frame build queue."

Did you pay for uk sales tax and have to pay again in germany?

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 1:17 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:

No,
I paid direct to Bird "only the netto costs (without any UK-tax) plus German Tax and all costs for shipping and ...", he stated than the package will come direct to me and I will not have any effort with it.

Hope this will work - I can report here when I got the frame.

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 3:19 Quote
RyMart96 wrote:
My new Bird Aether 9 size medium (and first full sus in 10 years)

Very nice RyMart! What spec have you gone for?

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
martinmwwebb wrote:
RyMart96 wrote:
My new Bird Aether 9 size medium (and first full sus in 10 years)

Very nice RyMart! What spec have you gone for?

Cheers Martin!

Majority of Spec as follows:
- Rockshox Pike Select RC Charger 140mm
- RockShox Deluxe Ultimate RCT
- Shimano SLX 12 Speed Drivetrain With Deore Cranks and XT Shifter
- Shimano M6120 Deore 4 Piston Brakes
- 200/180mm Rotors
- Hope Pro4/DT Swiss 29 XM481

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
dorsden wrote:
bikefuturist wrote:

No,
I paid direct to Bird "only the netto costs (without any UK-tax) plus German Tax and all costs for shipping and ...", he stated than the package will come direct to me and I will not have any effort with it.

Hope this will work - I can report here when I got the frame.

Please do, thanks

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 15:04 Quote
If you really are confident in the numbers this time, then you have the legs and arms of a very tall individual and the back of a man who's shorter than average. Your long legs will put your saddle very high and will move your centre of mass rearward, so your current size would probably be ML with a very long stem or Large with a moderately long stem. Unusual bodies lead to unusual fits.
[/Quote]

Glad I found this thread, it’s a great resource for anyone looking to buy a Bird. Returning to mtb after 8 or so years away, a lot has changed.

Especially interesting were these thoughts on bike size. My proportions put me firmly at the outer edges of certain dimensions. This is the first time I’ve seen advice for someone like myself to size down on frame size but your reasoning (centre of mass placement) makes sense.

Over the years I’ve ridden most forms of two wheeled vehicles in all kinds of sizes so know I’ll adapt. The thing I’m most sure of now is to keep an open mind and demo different sizes of AM9 with different stem lengths.

For reference:
Height - 185.5cm
Inside leg - 90cm (centre BB to saddle sit point - 81cm on 175 cranks)
Wingspan - 202cm

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 17:50 Quote
JKL250,

There's no substitute for demoing!

General advice:

• Stem length is most closely linked to arm length
• Reach is most closely linked to torso length

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 12:34 Quote
Hi,

Could anybody tell me the overall length of a XL AM9?

I calculate as follows: Wheelbase + 1 x wheel diameter + 1 x tyre thickness (1292mm + 622mm + 100mm = 2014mm)

Can anybody confirm?

Thanks

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 15:36 Quote
phealy,

I don't have an XL to measure, but I can comment on the formula: you have to count the tire height twice. Depending on the size of your tire, that may be more like 2 × 63 mm.

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 23:09 Quote
phealy wrote:
Hi,

Could anybody tell me the overall length of a XL AM9?

I calculate as follows: Wheelbase + 1 x wheel diameter + 1 x tyre thickness (1292mm + 622mm + 100mm = 2014mm)

Can anybody confirm?

Thanks

I measured my L AM9 a while ago (when measuring up for a new shed), I think it came in at about 2050mm - I'm pretty sure it was over 2m.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
Just had an email back from Bird as the 160 linkage for the 145 is out of stock, doesn't look like they will be getting any soon either or maybe not at all Frown

Does anyone have one they would sell?

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 0:19 Quote
I have a spare link, but it's probably a 145 ... I don't recall which link was on the bike when it was stolen. There may be some obvious visual cues that can distinguish them; if not, the elegantly annotated drawing below shows the measurements, taken at the closest points of each hole on the drive side. If this is different from yours, mine must be the 160.

Bird Aeris 145 or 160 link. Dimensions to help identify it if the difference isn t visually obvious.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 0:48 Quote
I think that's a 145, as it looks like my spare one. The 160 was slightly differently shaped.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 1:12 Quote
That sounds right. I vaguely recall there was a visual difference. Thanks!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 1:30 Quote
Thanks both Smile I'll have a measure etc when I get it back to be sure

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007607
Mobile Version of Website