Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 3:09 Quote
I actually got sent 2 160 links (after the first one was presumed lost in the mail, but arrived 3 months later) but I'm all the way in Israel. Also no PB cred but Ben from Bird can vouch for me I guess.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:00 Quote
Hi, I had a search through the forum but couldn't find any specific info.

I'm planning on trying a Magic Mary as a rear tyre on my AM9 V3. What is the largest size that will fit in the frame?

Am open to other suggestions too. I'm basically looking for a tyre that descends really well in mixed, mainly wet, conditions but also climbs well on steep loose or grassy climbs and wet rocks. I'm not a racer, and like the challenge of steep climbs where you're on the limit of traction, so weight/rolling resistance isn't really my main concern, but grip is!

Currently I'm running a high roller both front and back, which are super downhill and I like the predictability of the grip and when you're on the edge of that grip, but the sloped knobs on the HR slip on the steep climbs so wanting something witthh a bit more bite. I've previously used a Minion DHR and lived that, but felt that the mud round here tended to clog it up. I'm also just curious to try another brand as I've pretty much always used Maxxis.

Thanks very much in advance!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
Duplo wrote:

I'm planning on trying a Magic Mary as a rear tyre on my AM9 V3. What is the largest size that will fit in the frame?

Am open to other suggestions too. I'm basically looking for a tyre that descends really well in mixed, mainly wet, conditions but also climbs well on steep loose or grassy climbs and wet rocks. I'm not a racer, and like the challenge of steep climbs where you're on the limit of traction, so weight/rolling resistance isn't really my main concern, but grip is!

Currently I'm running a high roller both front and back, which are super downhill and I like the predictability of the grip and when you're on the edge of that grip, but the sloped knobs on the HR slip on the steep climbs so wanting something witthh a bit more bite. I've previously used a Minion DHR and lived that, but felt that the mud round here tended to clog it up. I'm also just curious to try another brand as I've pretty much always used Maxxis.

On the frame data sheet it is a 2.5": https://www.bird.bike/frame-data-geometry/

Personally I would go for a Big Betty instead of a MM in the rear. I am on a MM 2.6" up front and Big Betty 2.4" in the rear of my 120LT. The Big Betty has nice tread pattern, similar to a DHR2 so it has great braking and climbing traction plus side knobs are similar to the MM.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:18 Quote
Duplo wrote:

I for one am really temped to try a DH34 or DH34 Bikepark

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 9:00 Quote
I've been running Michelin Wild Enduro front and rear for the last few years and haven't found anything that comes near them.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
avocadro wrote:
I actually got sent 2 160 links (after the first one was presumed lost in the mail, but arrived 3 months later) but I'm all the way in Israel. Also no PB cred but Ben from Bird can vouch for me I guess.

How much would it be with postage? Wanna drop me a DM and I can give you my address to find out

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 1:09 Quote
I run an MM up front with Hans Dampf rear - also found this to be pretty bombproof throughout the wet months. I might try a Big Betty next time though (if only for a change!)

My Aether9 has an Assegai 2.5 up front and Dissector 2.4 in the rear and that's proving pretty good too!

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
The magic mary is an awesome tyre, I run the ultra soft super gravity on the front all year round and then put an old one on the back if I'm riding in the woods through winter. There are probably better tyres out there for wet climbing grip though, it will depend on how claggy your mud is I guess. I was riding on clay based trails recently in the wet and I might as well have had slicks on. Where I normally ride in winter is sandy loamy mud and they work fine. If you find the grip from hr2's are generally ok, you could try the Betty as suggested, can't say I have tried them though. I've been impressed with the aggressor on the rear as a summer tyre, and it even works pretty well in sandy loam....

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
Anyone here has experience with the DHR2 as a front in wet/muddy conditions? No, not expecting it to be a dedicated mud tyre, only to access how usable it is

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 22:35 Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. Certainly food for thought. I'm in North Wales, so the mud isn't super claggy here. Everything tends to be just quite slippy with the wet weather we have all the time. That's why I want something that digs into wet slippy grassy climbs, but also does well on slick wet rocks and roots.

I'll have a look at some of those tyres. With the limited stock and problems getting stuff from. Europe, I might be dictated to by what's available!

I'll let you all know what I plump for and how much clearance and performance it offers for future reference for others.

Cheers

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 23:44 Quote
Duplo,

A couple of rarely mentioned options are the Continental Der Baron Projekt and Hutchinson Toro. Both get good reviews in wetter terrain, but may be narrower than you may want.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 2:36 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Duplo,

A couple of rarely mentioned options are the Continental Der Baron Projekt and Hutchinson Toro. Both get good reviews in wetter terrain, but may be narrower than you may want.

Those are two options I wanted to like, specially for being EU made, but feel uneasy.
Continentals have a huge gap between the Protection Apex trail casing and the Apex DH casing. And it's not that the DH ones are that heavy, but you can't really find reviews or feedback anywhere
The Hutchinsons have a reasonable price but are somewhat hard to find and seem to be very specialized towards dry (Griffus) and wet (Toro)

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 3:00 Quote
Toro: Yes, I suggested it because a tire for wet conditions is what was requested.

Continental casings:The Apex Protection (first photo) is a pretty standard enduro casing. Unfortunately, it's vulnerable under the tread; the Protection sidewall layer should be a full cap ply.
• 2× 60 TPI on the sidewalls
• 3× 60TPI under the tread
• Layer of cut-resistant material on the sidewalls
• Stiff rubber layer on the sidewalls

The Apex DH (second photo) is also a pretty standard, double-layer DH casing. As with other casings of this design, 6 layers under the tread is excessive. Maybe a cap ply of the Protection material and sidewall layers would be sufficient.
• 4× 60 TPI on the sidewalls
• 6× 60TPI under the tread
• Stiff rubber layer on the sidewalls

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 3:05 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Anyone here has experience with the DHR2 as a front in wet/muddy conditions? No, not expecting it to be a dedicated mud tyre, only to access how usable it is

I used to run the DHR2 front and rear before the assegai was released. DHR2 works nicely as a front tyre, predictable grip and reasonably fast rolling. The assegai is my go to front tyre now though, it's just that little bit better

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 6:36 Quote
I wasn't so keen on my Magic Mary at Dyfi and BMCC late last year- it's working well in the slop (until you get to wet roots where it just slips faster than I'm used to!) but didn't feel great on anything remotely dry or hardpack (lots of people seem to disagree with me there though!).

Ruined a brand new DHR2 in their DoubleDown casing on a first, very chilled run down 50 hits at Dyfi (got a massive hole in it- odd considering it's the smoothest trail there!) but thats just a reflection on that specific casing rather than the tyre

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006438
Mobile Version of Website