Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
What attracts me on the DHR2, besides supposedly being very versatility, it that it's one of the lightest full DH casing tyres around. 1275g, actual weight

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 7:33 Quote
I'm using a maxxgrip doubledown DHR2 as a front tyre at the moment in the depths of an Irish winter, so very wet and muddy conditions. No complaints at all about it, really good and predictable.

The absolute best front tyre in terms of cornering grip IMO is the Assegai but it is very heavy.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
I'm using a maxxgrip doubledown DHR2 as a front tyre at the moment in the depths of an Irish winter, so very wet and muddy conditions. No complaints at all about it, really good and predictable.

The absolute best front tyre in terms of cornering grip IMO is the Assegai but it is very heavy.

Isn't the DHR2 supposed to clear mud better than the Assegai?

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
The assegai is by far the best front tyre I have ever used- I don't have issues with it clearing mud. I use the DHRII on the rear and it works well as a rear tire but the grip is not even comparable.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
Arierep wrote:
ThinkTank45 wrote:

Isn't the DHR2 supposed to clear mud better than the Assegai?

Can't say I've noticed a huge difference between the two in terms of mud clearance.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 15:04 Quote
bassmandan wrote:
davidwaters wrote:
Mine arrived just before christmas. Not the best photo but here you all go - AM9 Size XL in Pikachellow. Slight issue with the (Hope) brakes on arrival, but Ben was very quick to respond and more than happy to get the problem sorted. Goes for invisiframe wrapping tomorrow and hopefully be out and about on the trails before long!

photo

I’d be interested to see some closeups when the invisiframe is on if possible. I have an AM9 on order and am tossing up between invisiframe or just bog standard clear tape on the important bits.

Here you go. Got it wrapped by Snakeskin Customs in Greenfield. Pretty pleased with the quality of the job

photo
photo
Bird Invisframe 1

To the poster who was asking the length of an XL AM9, mine is dead on 2000mm from front to back.

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 23:44 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
dorsden wrote:
bikefuturist wrote:

Did you pay for uk sales tax and have to pay again in germany?

No,
I paid direct to Bird "only the netto costs (without any UK-tax) plus German Tax and all costs for shipping and ...", he stated than the package will come direct to me and I will not have any effort with it.

Hope this will work - I can report here when I got the frame.

Please do, thanks

As promised:

Frame arrived yesterday.
It took 11 days to come. But it seems that the customs took nearly four days.
No work for me.
Frame arrived, thats it, the rest was managed by Bird / Ben!

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 23:39 Quote
davidwaters wrote:

Here you go. Got it wrapped by Snakeskin Customs in Greenfield. Pretty pleased with the quality of the job

photo
photo
Bird Invisframe 1

That’s great thanks! I went ahead and ordered an invisiframe kit anyway but nice to get a better feel for what it will look like. Just waiting for the bike now!

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 15:04 Quote
Thoughts on mulletting an AM9 anyone? I’m bored in lockdown and minds running a bit wild

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 17:48 Quote
Same as with any other bike:

• You'll lose the steep seat-tube angle
• BB will get pretty low

If you can live with that, sure, give it a go.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 1:06 Quote
Here's a question....what's the biggest travel anyone's added to their AM9? Mine's on 160mm but would an increase to 170mm-180mm change it a lot? If mostly gearing up for DH?

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 1:10 Quote
A thought: How would you feel about keeping approximately the current travel and using an off-axis headset to change the geometry?

Not advocating one way or the other, just exploring options.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 1:44 Quote
Maffers1308 wrote:
Here's a question....what's the biggest travel anyone's added to their AM9? Mine's on 160mm but would an increase to 170mm-180mm change it a lot? If mostly gearing up for DH?

I'm running my V3 at 170mm. I run the stem 5mm lower vs with 160mm. I honestly can't feel any setbacks vs shorter travel, I guess the AM9 being a long bike dilutes some of the travel variation effects.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 2:04 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Maffers1308 wrote:

I'm running my V3 at 170mm. I run the stem 5mm lower vs with 160mm. I honestly can't feel any setbacks vs shorter travel, I guess the AM9 being a long bike dilutes some of the travel variation effects.

Similar story here with a 170 Lyrik on a V1. Paired with a custom tuned Bomber coil shock it absolutely nails the techy descents.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 2:28 Quote
Cheers guys, 170mm seems to be certainly possible. I'm actually happy with 160mm but now I've got an Aether 9c I was planning to set the big girl up for more gravity stuff - 170mm on Zebs will be enough for me!! Now just to get this pesky Covid shit out the way so I can actually get out!!

Thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015069
Mobile Version of Website