Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 0:23 Quote
eddieantifreeze wrote:
smashdizzle wrote:
Anyone have a setup that helps keep the mud out of the lower pivot area aka the dirt shelf, near lower pivot of the chainstay (AM9)? I cant decide if I want
- to have something come off the seat tube just above the gap crating a mini roof
or
-something on the rear chainstay which can either
-be pointed towards the seat tube creating a mini roof over the front/rear triangle gap
- just have a mini fender pointing up to minimize rear tire spray

I hope that all makes sense

Genuinely amazing.... I cane here to ask the same question!

I no longer had a hardtail so I have been using the AM9 as the bike for local rides out during lockdown - except there is so much horrible crap that I feel like its just consuming my bearings/drivetrain without the rewards of using the AM9 for its dsigned purpose. I know that the real answer is get a hardtail (n+1) but in the mean time I agree, a guard that stops the build up on the lower pivot 'shelf' would be key

I feel ya, unnecessarily wearing partss down and having to do extra maintenance for tame ride is irritating, I have a extra front mud guard I will try and set up and let you know how it goes.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 3:52 Quote
Need some advice on sizing for an am9? is anyone 5'10/177cm and can comment on the feel of the M/L? Bird sizing chart says I'm centered right on the M/L bracket, but interested in what you guys think

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 4:27 Quote
Im always on the cross over fo size recommendations, and I could have gone for a large, but went for the ML as I was coming from an 10yr old 26inch bike.

I’ve no regrets on the ML even tho I could be equally comfortable on a L. I was after an all round bike rather than a bike park only which was part of my thought process in the smaller size.

That being said, if I were to buy another bike this year I would happily go for a longer reach if the handling is playful enough.

As always, if you can demo then try both, I did and it really helped me decide.
If you can’t demo, and you’re recommended being on the ML rather than in between sizes then go with the recommendation and you’ll be fine.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 4:38 Quote
roller35 wrote:
Need some advice on sizing for an am9? is anyone 5'10/177cm and can comment on the feel of the M/L? Bird sizing chart says I'm centered right on the M/L bracket, but interested in what you guys think

I'm 5'10 on an ML and it's just right. I've had goes on a mates L, standing the 500 mm reach I could probably get used to, but seated just felt a little too stretched out for my liking.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 4:44 Quote
theglenn wrote:
Im always on the cross over fo size recommendations, and I could have gone for a large, but went for the ML as I was coming from an 10yr old 26inch bike.

I’ve no regrets on the ML even tho I could be equally comfortable on a L. I was after an all round bike rather than a bike park only which was part of my thought process in the smaller size.

That being said, if I were to buy another bike this year I would happily go for a longer reach if the handling is playful enough.

If you can’t demo, and you’re recommended being on the ML rather than in between sizes then go with the recommendation and you’ll be fine.

Ye I can't demo unfortunately How tall are you? Curious about what people tend to prefer compared to the size chart,

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
6' / 183 cm here, AM9 Large with 40 mm stem and saddle fully forward on the rails. Feels about right. Could go slightly steeper on the seat-tube angle.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
roller35 wrote:

Just to echo a couple of the others here but I'm bang on 5'10" as well on a ML AM9 and find it absolutely perfect.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
I'm 184cm tall, 195cm armspan (often overlooked measurement when talking about bike sizing), size L AM9, 40mm stem, 800mm bar, seat slammed forward. Feel at home, wouldn't change a thing.

Tried a 475mm reach bike in between my V1 and V3 AM9s, it was fine on tight tech but cramped everywhere else, particularly climbing

Posted: Feb 3, 2021 at 1:02 Quote
I'm 6' and ride an ML AM9 with 40mm stem and saddle central. I test-rode a large and found the reach quite long. The ML is actually the same reach as nearly every Large frame bike that I'd had before (Transition Patrol, Orange 6)

Really comfortable on the ML and recently bought an Aether 9c - also ML but a little bit longer in the cockpit. The AM9 is a perfect weapon for Uplifts at Inners and BPW as well as mid-week night rides!

Posted: Feb 3, 2021 at 6:15 Quote
roller35 wrote:
theglenn wrote:

Ye I can't demo unfortunately How tall are you? Curious about what people tend to prefer compared to the size chart,

I’m a touch over 6ft, but more than happy on the ML

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 3:20 Quote
Cheers! I've read online that people tend to opt for a size down if they're looking for All mountain bike over an enduro racer (which i am). Would anyone recommend opting for a medium over a medium-long at 5'10/178?

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 3:49 Quote
roller35 wrote:
Cheers! I've read online that people tend to opt for a size down if they're looking for All mountain bike over an enduro racer (which i am). Would anyone recommend opting for a medium over a medium-long at 5'10/178?

There surely will be someone who recommends the M, and surely others who recommend the L. I can't tell you what you'll like, but I can provide you with data.

Background: I design bikes via a unique, data-driven method. My database of fit and kinematic properties currently has 99,646 data points from just the trail, all-mountain, and enduro categories and the analysis will be comprehensive.

As you probably know, bikes have been getting longer, relative to the nominal size and the recommended rider height. Interestingly, this trend has been proceeding at a nearly constant pace up to the present. Maybe a slight leveling off in 2020, or maybe that's just a fluctuation in the data due to a higher number of not-so-keen-on-length bikes released in 2020. Head angles got slacker at the highest pace ever, though, so front-centre length increased at the highest ever rate. In other words, we haven't hit "peak bike" yet and the market is likely to embrace even longer bikes in the near future. That's not to say any of these trends are right for you, but maybe millions of riders can't be wrong? That's your call to make.

Now let's look at manufacturers' recommendations for someone your height.

The recommended nominal sizes for rider heights have been very consistent over the years and the height vs. size trend is almost perfectly linear. 178 cm puts you almost exactly halfway between M and L. The actual sizes of these nominal sizes have changed considerably, though. Filtering the data for 2018 - 2020, the average manufacturer-recommended reach, adjusted to normalize for differing stack values, for your height is a couple millimeters shorter than the ML AM9. If we project the data up to 2021, the ML is a few millimeters smaller than the collective recommendation for you, especially if we account for front-centre length.

Bottom line: The industry currently thinks the ML is exactly the right size for you, almost to the millimeter. Your preferences are your own, so adjust accordingly.

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 3:52 Quote
Have you spoken to the guys at Bird yet? If not give them a call and they will soon put your mind at rest. In my opinion I would go for the ML as you're smack bang in the middle of the size range so I reckon it will be a perfect.

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 4:27 Quote
roller35 wrote:
I think it's also worth noting that a lot of riders will be up-sizing from older, shorter bikes. It makes it easy to feel like a bike is big enough just because it's closer to the "right" size for them and bigger than what they were previously riding.

Being 6'5" I know this probably more than anyone, most of my riding life has been on bikes that are way too short for me. My previous bike had 440mm reach, I tried my brother's bike (488mm) reach and it felt great and like I would never want much longer. Now I'm on a Bird Aeris with 528mm reach and it doesn't feel like a tank at all yet I've switched to a bike that is 9cm longer. I could still go longer, who knows what would actually be too far.

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 5:55 Quote
Think I'll settle on Medium-Long. very helpful, thanks for the advice!

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007921
Mobile Version of Website