Bird Aeris owners thread

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
So I got my AM9 last year. Rode it without issue than it sat in my spare room for 6 months during winter. Got it out for the start of summer and the dropper doesn't extend all the way anymore. no matter how hard or frequent I push the lever, I still need to pull it the last inch or two of extension.

Anyone else run into this with the Bird droppers and have advice? I work on all my own bikes but honestly droppers are like a black hole to me and would rather not have to break it open haha

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 16:27 Quote
alaskarider89 wrote:
So I got my AM9 last year. Rode it without issue than it sat in my spare room for 6 months during winter. Got it out for the start of summer and the dropper doesn't extend all the way anymore. no matter how hard or frequent I push the lever, I still need to pull it the last inch or two of extension.

Anyone else run into this with the Bird droppers and have advice? I work on all my own bikes but honestly droppers are like a black hole to me and would rather not have to break it open haha

Check the air pressure. I don’t know exactly the specs of the bird post but my one does the same every spring- topping off the pressure, lubing the seal and cable and then running it through it’s travel a bunch and it is good as new.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 16:55 Quote
arnie86 wrote:
alaskarider89 wrote:

Check the air pressure. I don’t know exactly the specs of the bird post but my one does the same every spring- topping off the pressure, lubing the seal and cable and then running it through it’s travel a bunch and it is good as new.

See, black hole to me! haha didn't even think about there being air in it! I will pull the dropper and put some in. Anyone know what pressure the 170mm dropper requires?

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 18:14 Quote
It’s usually somewhere around 250 psi. On some posts the valve is under the saddle hardware so pull that first in case you don’t need to remove it from the bike. Then add air until it returns to full travel. Like I said I don’t have this post so this is speculation. Maybe someone else can give you specifics

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 22:19 Quote
alaskarider89 wrote:
arnie86 wrote:
alaskarider89 wrote:

See, black hole to me! haha didn't even think about there being air in it! I will pull the dropper and put some in. Anyone know what pressure the 170mm dropper requires?

Bird droppers require between 280-300 psi. You'll need to take the saddle off to access the valve

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 4:26 Quote
rideeverything wrote:
alaskarider89 wrote:
arnie86 wrote:

Bird droppers require between 280-300 psi. You'll need to take the saddle off to access the valve

This. They are rebranded Tranz-X droppers and the manual states 280-300psi.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 7:02 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
rideeverything wrote:
alaskarider89 wrote:

This. They are rebranded Tranz-X droppers and the manual states 280-300psi.

awesome, thats great to hear i dont have to take the post out! Finally some components with useful engineering

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 0:56 Quote
i know it has been asked many times, but what linkage is better for a coil on the aeris 145. i have both the links, standard and 160mm and swap them for what i'm going to do(bikepark/trip to the alps or xc style touring)
want to try a coil but cant decide wich one and what coil is should use with my 100kg ready to ride

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 7:23 Quote
martinmwwebb wrote:
colourofsound wrote:
Also - are you guys bothering with frame wrap/protection on your alloy Birds? In two minds about not bothering at all or going all in with something like Invisiframe. I bought the AMS kit recently and frankly it looks shit.

If you don't meant the raw finish, I had mine (Aeris 145 Lime Green) fully invisiframed by the shop as part of the build. close up you can see some of the lines where the tape ends but cant notice it otherwise

So I have an AM9 large arriving any day, after a long wait, near 3 months and I broke the bank and bought the invisiframe kit to install. What I was wondering is there any of you that have bought a proper chainstay protector to fit, like the ones on a Santa Cruz.
photo

Ive always used old tubes and cable ties but would like something a little neater.
Cheers Beer

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 9:10 Quote
looking4phil wrote:
martinmwwebb wrote:
colourofsound wrote:
Also - are you guys bothering with frame wrap/protection on your alloy Birds? In two minds about not bothering at all or going all in with something like Invisiframe. I bought the AMS kit recently and frankly it looks shit.

If you don't meant the raw finish, I had mine (Aeris 145 Lime Green) fully invisiframed by the shop as part of the build. close up you can see some of the lines where the tape ends but cant notice it otherwise

So I have an AM9 large arriving any day, after a long wait, near 3 months and I broke the bank and bought the invisiframe kit to install. What I was wondering is there any of you that have bought a proper chainstay protector to fit, like the ones on a Santa Cruz.
photo

Ive always used old tubes and cable ties but would like something a little neater.
Cheers Beer

The one for the nukeproof reactor alloy fits reasonably well with a little trimming

photo

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 1:26 Quote
looking4phil wrote:

photo

Cheers Beer

I have just fitted the Raaw Madonna chain stay protector and that fits reasonably well. Can’t say anything about the long term yet.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 0:54 Quote
I run the org Bird sock and a set of STFU Trail Chain damper. The sock is actually only to give the CS a burlier look so the STFU wont "stick out" so much.

On a performance point of view these just work flawlessly
photo

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 7:07 Quote
I'd already immediately replaced the indiscreet "BIRD" neoprene protector with a similar Lizard Skins one, but this type of protector isn't the tidiest.

MTBRemco wrote:
I have just fitted the Raaw Madonna chain stay protector and that fits reasonably well. Can’t say anything about the long term yet.
Tidiest one I've seen so far. Any chance of a photo please ? ETA: this would be £38 to the UK with shipping, tax and DHL surcharge... thanks Brexit.

rideeverything wrote:
The one for the nukeproof reactor alloy fits reasonably well with a little trimming
What's the side protection on the outside front and full length of the inside for ?

The VHS Slapper Tape v2 seems quite a lot chunkier than necessary. I'm not sure how tidy I could get 2228 tape to be and how quiet it'd be.

colourofsound wrote:
I bought the AMS kit recently and frankly it looks shit.
So did I, I've now removed almost all of it from my bike. The texture looks bad even when clean, and dirty water dries into the surface. Dirty water also dries around the edges. If anyone does go for it I'd recommend a hair dryer or heat gun (wich I didn't have) for fitting even for moderate curves - it's pretty stiff. Later you can use the heat gun carefully to remove it, which is easy as long as the strip doesn't split in half leaving the glue on your bike. I'd recommend helitape over AMS, except perhaps under the downtube where the extra thickness is useful.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
bikesandboots wrote:
rideeverything wrote:
What's the side protection on the outside front and full length of the inside for ?
No idea, probably to help it stick to the chainstay better? There's sticky tape on all surfaces of the protector so more surface area to stick to. It's had multiple washes with a hose and shows no sign of budging yet

Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 10:50 Quote
photo
bikesandboots wrote:
Tidiest one I've seen so far. Any chance of a photo please ? ETA: this would be £38 to the UK with shipping, tax and DHL surcharge... thanks Brexit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.392353
Mobile Version of Website