Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
theglenn wrote:
Cheers mate,
I did this, and turns out I can fit a 160mm air shaft

Sweet

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 0:00 Quote
I bought an AM9 in Sept 2018. Loved it and rode it hard for 18 months before getting a geometron g1 which I rode almost exclusively after that. Recently I've pulled the AM9 back out of the shed and have been loving its playfulness. Its certainly more fun and some types of trails.

Anyway, i see that there are 3 versions of the am9 now. Does anybody know what iteration my sept 2018 would be ? Also did they make any geometry changes between the versions? Can i rely on the current geo chart for my frame?

Cheers

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 0:40 Quote
I also ride a 2018 AM9, I believe it's a V1 mate,

As far as I'm aware there's no significant geo changes on the later versions but there's improvements to the frame to enable you to run a longer fork, theres also a different linkage (RRR) which makes it more playful than standard, this is compatible with the V1 frame.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 1:25 Quote
From memory:

V2: Wee better rear tyre clearance.

RRR linkage arrived.

V3: Stiffer rocker link, shorter seat tube, buffed up front triancle so you can now run 150-170mm forks, comes with RRR-linkage.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 1:28 Quote
V3's came out early last year I think so it will be a V1 or V2. I have an early 2018 V1 and my neighbour has a late 2018 which I believe is a V2 as it has slightly neater downtube hose and cable routing, with a X cable clamp thing, whereas mine go straight down the sides of the downtube. His also seems to have slightly better rear tyre clearance, but other than that geometry is identical.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 4:02 Quote
I had a V1 from mid 2018, now on a V3 since mid '20. Besides the shorter seat tube and improved tyre clearance, there is a noticeable increase in stiffness. The frame feels burlier all around. I actually much preferred the cable system of the V1, not a fan of the "X" clamps on the V3, but can live with them

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
Thanks guys. Sounds like none of the changes were actually beneficial from my personal perspective as i have always been able to get good travel on the original link and like its progressiveity, im tall so the seat tube is no issue and ive run a 160 and a 150 fork but preferred the bike with a 150 anyway and so swicthed it back to that.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 0:23 Quote
bthomson84 wrote:
I bought an AM9 in Sept 2018. Loved it and rode it hard for 18 months before getting a geometron g1 which I rode almost exclusively after that. Recently I've pulled the AM9 back out of the shed and have been loving its playfulness. Its certainly more fun and some types of trails.

Anyway, i see that there are 3 versions of the am9 now. Does anybody know what iteration my sept 2018 would be ? Also did they make any geometry changes between the versions? Can i rely on the current geo chart for my frame?

Cheers

I've been on my AM9 since Oct 2018. Thinking about getting a G1 next. What size AM9 and G1 have you got? Presume being in NZ you didn't demo either bike first? Reckon you got the sizing right?

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 1:49 Quote
Funny, I've always look at the AM9 sort of like the poor man's Nicolai/Geometron

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 2:00 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Funny, I've always look at the AM9 sort of like the poor man's Nicolai/Geometron

Yep agreed. I originally wanted the G1 predecessor (G16?) and after putting all the numbers into a spreadsheet they look very similar but half the price... I've been running 160mm fork since day 1 on my AM9 to slacken it out 0.5 degrees.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 4:27 Quote
A couple of weeks ago I started to visit the Nicolai website a little too much for my taste. Solution? Went to bikegeo.muha.cc to play a bit with anglesets on the AM9. Guess what, an AM9 with a -2º angleset is almost a carbon copy of the G1. Only the seatube angle is a little more conservative

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 10:43 Quote
Arierep wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I started to visit the Nicolai website a little too much for my taste. Solution? Went to bikegeo.muha.cc to play a bit with anglesets on the AM9. Guess what, an AM9 with a -2º angleset is almost a carbon copy of the G1. Only the seatube angle is a little more conservative

I've been running my AM9 with a -2 angleset and 160 fork for quite some time. 63° HA, everything else remains as it was designed. Bike is an absolute ripper with the slacker front end

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 0:08 Quote
rideeverything wrote:
Arierep wrote:

I've been running my AM9 with a -2 angleset and 160 fork for quite some time. 63° HA, everything else remains as it was designed. Bike is an absolute ripper with the slacker front end

I've actually been considering this as I used -1.5deg anglesets to good effect on my previous two Nicolai's and I've always thought the AM9 would respond well to some slackerizing but just never got around to it.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 8:26 Quote
Will I be able to get a 2.5 maxxis dhf on the back of and Aeris 145/ 160. I’m worried about clearance

Posted: Nov 7, 2021 at 1:35 Quote
Connie2003 wrote:
Will I be able to get a 2.5 maxxis dhf on the back of and Aeris 145/ 160. I’m worried about clearance

yes, it will, but not much clearance. about 4mm
the agressor i use right now hs about the same cleaeance, and is also a 2.5wt

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006430
Mobile Version of Website