Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 9:41 Quote
Hamez-123 wrote:
I would recommend calling bird directly as they will be the only people who will of ridden the bike

great idea, will do that

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 9:54 Quote
rideeverything wrote:
As a teaser, here's my Aeris 9
I think it'll be an extremely popular bike
photo

That colour is amazing!

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 11:41 Quote
MomoiPower wrote:
Hamez-123 wrote:
I would recommend calling bird directly as they will be the only people who will of ridden the bike

great idea, will do that

I’ll have a second hand (18month old) AM9 ML V3 available in a month or so..

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
sly69 wrote:
MomoiPower wrote:
Hamez-123 wrote:

great idea, will do that

I’ll have a second hand (18month old) AM9 ML V3 available in a month or so..
As will I if anyone is interested in buying one (the frame)

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 13:29 Quote
@sly69 and @Hamez-123, are you both upgrading to the Aeris 9? Smile

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 13:30 Quote
170 / 150 on the am9 rides really well.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 14:19 Quote
MomoiPower wrote:

I've owned and ridden my AM9 v2 with the RRR linkage since 2019 and for the moment I dont see any reason why to justify a change to the Aeris 9.

The AM9 v3 is a superb bike with a hard to beat geo if the AM9 type of bike is what you are after. The AM9 v3 compared to my v2 has a bit stiffer rocker link, shorter seat stay and stronger front triancle so you can run a 170 fork. The v2 can run up to 160.

But the AM9 is REALLY capable, both climbing and descenting with coil (havven't tried myself) and air shock (MegNeg) and the frame is lighter. My rig in size Large sits at 14.8kg/32.6lb with DD/ebike tires and alloy bits but 1850g carbon wheels.

If you already know that you can use all the travel the A9 offers, u'll spend most of your time up the mountain in a lift and that your primarely are descent orientated i'd make the change.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 14:47 Quote
I’d consider adding the aeris 9 as a park bike. Run it single speed and put a coil rear shock and a 180 mezzer up front. The Am9 is a great all rounder. It doesn’t feel overboard on flows single track and doesn’t feel under bikes on tech.

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 14:49 Quote
Thanks Thorjensen, very helpful! I'm descend oriented, but there is only 1 bike park with a lift that I know off where I live (Ireland) and am not looking to use it that much! Good climbing is important to me because... fitness is an issue!

Good to know about the weight of your rig, I'm looking to use 1850g wheels + cushcore + coil shock on medium large frame, so that gives me a good idea.

What makes me question if I should go Aeris 9 is the steeper seat angle and slacker HTA. They are the same geo numbers as my moxie, so I'm used to them. I find 77 seat angle great for climbing, and 64 HTA is confidence inspiring on steep stuff. I tend to ride pretty technical, natural trails, some of them quite steep.

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 14:53 Quote
handsomedan wrote:
I’d consider adding the aeris 9 as a park bike. Run it single speed and put a coil rear shock and a 180 messer up front. Am9 is a great all rounder, doesn’t feel overboard on flows single track and doesn’t feel under bikes on tech.

Good go know the AM9 is a great all rounder, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks!

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 15:03 Quote
MomoiPower wrote:
handsomedan wrote:
I’d consider adding the aeris 9 as a park bike. Run it single speed and put a coil rear shock and a 180 messer up front. Am9 is a great all rounder, doesn’t feel overboard on flows single track and doesn’t feel under bikes on tech.

Good go know the AM9 is a great all rounder, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks!

It’s the best climbing bike I’ve owned, and as good as any other modern bikes I’ve ridden in the same category. I put it down to geometry. Also, bird is one of the companies doing seat tubes right. Nice and straight for good insertion length so you can run a long dropper.

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 23:01 Quote
MomoiPower wrote:

@MomoiPower yes, I’ve one on order.. I have a few bikes (all Bird).. the AM9 is an amazing bike, mine is set up with RS Coil & and 170 Zeb’s, exo+ tyres and DT 1501 carbon wheels - don’t know the weight but it is absolutely fine for an all day bike pedalling around (Surrey Hills for example) AND alpine riding. I have an Aether 7 and wanted a bigger bike than the AM9 originally, the Aeris 9 was in the pipeline at the time so I’ve been patiently waiting

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 23:03 Quote
MomoiPower wrote:
Thanks Thorjensen, very helpful! I'm descend oriented, but there is only 1 bike park with a lift that I know off where I live (Ireland) and am not looking to use it that much! Good climbing is important to me because... fitness is an issue!

Good to know about the weight of your rig, I'm looking to use 1850g wheels + cushcore + coil shock on medium large frame, so that gives me a good idea.

What makes me question if I should go Aeris 9 is the steeper seat angle and slacker HTA. They are the same geo numbers as my moxie, so I'm used to them. I find 77 seat angle great for climbing, and 64 HTA is confidence inspiring on steep stuff. I tend to ride pretty technical, natural trails, some of them quite steep.

AM9 sounds like the right way to go to be honest… where do you ride normally??

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 23:10 Quote
MomoiPower wrote:
Hello everyone,

I placed an order for a AM9 frame yesterday, and Bird released the new Aeris 9 today! Dilemma!

Should I change my order to the new frame? I'm looking for a enduro bike that climbs well. This is what drew me to the AM9 in the first place. I'm worried that the new Aeris 9 will be slower on the uphill, but the geo looks really good (stepper STA and slacker HTA). I'm coming from a hartail (Pipedream moxie with 150mm lyrik). I'll likely keep only 1 bike.

So, what would you get?
- AM9 160mm front /150mm rear
- Aeris 9 160mm/160mm

Anyone has tried the new frame and can compare?

The AM9 is still a really really good bike. You wouldn't be disappointed with it. That said the Aeris 9 just takes every aspect and refines it. The frame is stiffer, esp the rear. This is really noticeable when thumping into corners. The steeper STA and same great pedal efficiency means it climbs just as well. Mine is 170f/160r, and it is astonishing how much more supple the rear end is even with just the 10 mm bump in travel. Dan and I are in the Alps with them and we were amazed at how good he's made the rear end. 180 links weren't ready in time but I have ridden the prototype with them, those really turn it into a DH bruiser

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 23:51 Quote
Regarding making the rear more supple on the AM9 i'd say that installing the MegNeg if you run an air Super Deluxe really makes a positive change to the first bit of travel and giving it some more support in the mids. Bottom out is still as good. Running zero volume reducers and two red bands.

But I also see the Aeris 9 being a bike where you have taken all the info from the three AM9 versions and made this versatile frame. If the bike geo can handle a setup running 160/160 to 180/180 (with a linkage change) still with the same stunning Bird performance they have knocked it out of the park with this one.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013654
Mobile Version of Website