Bird Aeris owners thread

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 7:46 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
Hi guys, I'm looking at an AM9, I'm 6'0" (183cm) and am strongly considering the ML size.
I would rather a bike that is a bit more playful which is why I'm not going for the Large.
Anyone around my height have any experience of the ML?
I had mentioned a few pages back about my experience. I'm 183 and rode the ml. It fit like a glove. Absolutely perfect, and was possibly most fun bike I've ever ridden. It was incredible.

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 6:55 Quote
photo
Giving the old girl a rest after 5 days in Whistler bike park.Nice steady 4 hour climb up mount Sproat

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 12:58 Quote
welric wrote:
This weekend I've demoed a couple of bikes : transition sentinel and smuggler, Specialized enduro, Orbea rallon etc.
I think, in term of geometry, the sentinel is the closest to the AM9 numbers. Anyone here rode one of these bikes than rode the am9. Just doing my homework here because it's a bit of a blind move to buy a AM9. Also, how do you like the rear suspension. how does it feel? I've read a quick review about the am145 and they weren't too impressed about the clattering going on in the rear. Does the am9 feels the same? I'm tall, 6'4'', so really looking for a long bike.

I am 6’5”, and the length of the XL AM9 is one of the main reasons I got it. I need the long reach, and for handling I really wanted a bit longer chainstays, but not super long, so the AM9 it was.

I got it with the Rockshox Super Deluxe. I do not notice any “clattering”. suspension feels great, plush enough, yet pedals well enough that on a few XC rides I didn’t notice I had it in the open setting until the end of the ride, when I loaded the bike up. I don’t know how many volume spacers Bird spec in the shock, but it’s dead on for my weight (180lbs). Hardest hits have been about 4’ to flat, and absorbing the landing with my legs, I never felt bottom out, yet I use full travel. I (luckily) haven’t smash landed anything.

My previous bike was the Fuel EX, 140mm rear with Re’Aktiv shock.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 15:30 Quote
Jarrahsmith wrote:
Hey tall riders
looking at getting an am9, and im tossing up between the large and extra large.
Im 6'4, with 38 inch inseam and 31 inch arms.
Does anyone have any experience with either size, or have an opinion on which would be better?
thanks in advance for any advice

I am 6’5”, I got the XL, since I felt cramped on my 23” Fuel EX with a 50mm stem. The Fuel had a reach of 505mm, the Am9 is about 15mm longer at the same bar height, so I knew I’d like it.
I like having the saddle forward for easy climbing, but for that you need a long reach. So in my opinion, XL for sure. You can always go down to a 35mm stem if needed.

In order to keep enough weight on the front wheel, you might want to use a short offset fork.

Posted: Jul 5, 2018 at 10:59 Quote
nedersotan wrote:
welric wrote:
This weekend I've demoed a couple of bikes : transition sentinel and smuggler, Specialized enduro, Orbea rallon etc.
I think, in term of geometry, the sentinel is the closest to the AM9 numbers. Anyone here rode one of these bikes than rode the am9. Just doing my homework here because it's a bit of a blind move to buy a AM9. Also, how do you like the rear suspension. how does it feel? I've read a quick review about the am145 and they weren't too impressed about the clattering going on in the rear. Does the am9 feels the same? I'm tall, 6'4'', so really looking for a long bike.

I am 6’5”, and the length of the XL AM9 is one of the main reasons I got it. I need the long reach, and for handling I really wanted a bit longer chainstays, but not super long, so the AM9 it was.

I got it with the Rockshox Super Deluxe. I do not notice any “clattering”. suspension feels great, plush enough, yet pedals well enough that on a few XC rides I didn’t notice I had it in the open setting until the end of the ride, when I loaded the bike up. I don’t know how many volume spacers Bird spec in the shock, but it’s dead on for my weight (180lbs). Hardest hits have been about 4’ to flat, and absorbing the landing with my legs, I never felt bottom out, yet I use full travel. I (luckily) haven’t smash landed anything.

My last preveious bike was the Fuel EX, 140mm rear with Re”aktiv shock.

What stem length do you you run? I will start with a 50mm. Wanted a 40 mm but are back to order from my supplier. Will be running a dvo topaz with a diamond boist in front. I guess I'll also need too bring forward the saddle. Can't wait to fool around! So excited,

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 9:53 Quote
welric wrote:
What stem length do you you run? I will start with a 50mm. Wanted a 40 mm but are back to order from my supplier. Will be running a dvo topaz with a diamond boist in front. I guess I'll also need too bring forward the saddle. Can't wait to fool around! So excited,

I am running a 60mm stem, with a 12 degree backsweep bar, so that would be about 50mm if you are runnning a “standard” 9 degree backsweep bar.

The seat tube angle is fairly steep, so you might not need to slam the saddle forward very far.
I am really liking the saddle forward position, making smooth climbing more comfortable, and technical climbing easier. It also makes it easier to switch from standing to sitting and back, since you only need to move “up” not “up and forward”. This is great on technical climbs, where you might need to stand for a tech section, then sit down to rest a bit.

And using a shorter offset for will help reign in the wheelbase, and keep the front well weighted for traction.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 2:38 Quote
Anyone seen a Blue AM9 in the flesh? Just noticed that it has some pink stickers on top tube down tube and seat stay. What's your opinion? Got one on order and didn't notice the pink until just now!
Cheers

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 4:16 Quote
theglenn wrote:
Anyone seen a Blue AM9 in the flesh? Just noticed that it has some pink stickers on top tube down tube and seat stay. What's your opinion? Got one on order and didn't notice the pink until just now!
Cheers

I test rode one at Tweedlove and they look good.
There isn't that much pink and I thought it worked well with the blue, so much so that I changed my mind from ordering the raw to the blue after seeing it on the flesh.

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 4:34 Quote
theglenn wrote:
Cheers
I also test rode one at tweedlove. I though the bike looked proper awesome in blue. I didnt notice any pink, so it must have blended well together. It was one of the nicest looking bikes ive seen, without a doubt.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 9:06 Quote
its the same blue as on the 120 and the Zero AM - this photo is a pretty good representation of the colour IMHO
photo

its bright without being in the 'neon' end of the spectrum.

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 9:03 Quote
theglenn wrote:
Cheers

photo

This was the demo one a couple of weeks ago - I think the colour looks great, including the pink!

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 11:14 Quote
Yeh does look good! Those fork stickers r a step too far for me tho!

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 13:21 Quote
theglenn wrote:
Yeh does look good! Those fork stickers r a step too far for me tho!
It genuinely looks really cool in real.

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 13:22 Quote
Just installed the new 140mm 2019 DebonAir piston in my 2018 Pike RCT3.
GSUS....... Instant plushness galore over the 18 Debon Air piston just on simple kerb test. Tho I have say that I changed from RS oil to my go-to fav lower leg oil, Fox Gold 20wt.
But my 18 Pike have NEVER felt this good.
My Saalbach and Winterberg mtb trips are going mega.

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 11:33 Quote
Best. Bike. Ever.

photo

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017722
Mobile Version of Website