Bird Aeris owners thread

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 9:32 Quote
hstenner1 wrote:
Anybody know the weight of a M/L bird Aeris 145 LT? Frame or frame and shock

Potentially getting a frame only on insurance to replace my giant reign, looks like an amazing bike from the numbers!

Rides lighter than it weighs if that helps.

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 11:04 Quote
handsomedan wrote:
hstenner1 wrote:
Anybody know the weight of a M/L bird Aeris 145 LT? Frame or frame and shock

Potentially getting a frame only on insurance to replace my giant reign, looks like an amazing bike from the numbers!

Rides lighter than it weighs if that helps.

Thanks for that!

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 11:07 Quote
Another quick one guys, I know the Aeris is boost but I was hoping to reuse my existing cranks/chainring which are non-boost. Will I have clearance against the frame with a 30t chainring? Could someone post a picture of their chainring clearance so I could have a look?

If not I’ll call bird and ask. Thanks again!

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 11:48 Quote
hstenner1 wrote:
Another quick one guys, I know the Aeris is boost but I was hoping to reuse my existing cranks/chainring which are non-boost. Will I have clearance against the frame with a 30t chainring? Could someone post a picture of their chainring clearance so I could have a look?

I run a Saint non boost crankset with a 2.5mm spacer on the DS with a 32T chainring without problems. Actually you get a super chainline running it non boost.

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 12:28 Quote
How do you guys fit your water bottle in the am9 frame with a shock with a piggy back?

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 12:58 Quote
Thorjensen wrote:
hstenner1 wrote:

I run a Saint non boost crankset with a 2.5mm spacer on the DS with a 32T chainring without problems. Actually you get a super chainline running it non boost.

Ideal thanks mate!

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 14:10 Quote
welric wrote:
How do you guys fit your water bottle in the am9 frame with a shock with a piggy back?

Hey. If there is room for the bottle but sliding it in and out is the problem then you could try a side loading bottle cage. I'm trying out a lezyne flow SL on my 120, standard shock but wanted to fit a large bottle in there. Its ok, grip on the bottle could be better but it hasn't fallen out.

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 23:40 Quote
hstenner1 wrote:
Thorjensen wrote:
hstenner1 wrote:

Ideal thanks mate!

I'm running a non-boost crank as well, but on an AM9, with a 3mm offset 30t chainring and there's plenty of clearance.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 2:11 Quote
welric wrote:

I used the B-RAD 2 and made the suggestion to the team at Bird that they communicate the need to all consumers - guess they've yet to update their communication, shame.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 5:16 Quote
mdoubleu wrote:
welric wrote:

I used the B-RAD 2 and made the suggestion to the team at Bird that they communicate the need to all consumers - guess they've yet to update their communication, shame.

I'm using same concept as the Wolf Tooth B-RAD 2 from shimano BA01 Di2 Battery Mount Adaptor
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-ba01-di2-battery-mount-adaptor/rp-prod34650

B-RAD 2 might be more cosmetically appealing..!

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 6:20 Quote
ptld wrote:
mdoubleu wrote:
welric wrote:

I'm using same concept as the Wolf Tooth B-RAD 2 from shimano BA01 Di2 Battery Mount Adaptor
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-ba01-di2-battery-mount-adaptor/rp-prod34650

B-RAD 2 might be more cosmetically appealing..!

It's hidden by the bottle/bottle cage - same result.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 7:08 Quote
Ok I am going to ramble on a bit here but hopefully it might help fellow 120 and Pike owners.

I bought a boost 130mm Pike RTC3 that I put on my 120. Initially I really struggled to get a set up I liked. I ended up running 60psi, 3 tokens, 9 clicks of rebound from slow, 5 clicks of LSC from minus (I'm 80kg all kitted up). This gave me roughly 25% sag front and I ran 30% sag rear. I was trying to slacken the bike out a little by running 25% sag on the front. The fork felt compromised between initial sensitivity, mid stroke support and bottom out resistance. I'm running 30% sag rear as feels the best to me while descending and also for traction when climbing.

I got TF Tuned to do the annual service and also asked them to fit a Luftkappe at the same time. I would recommend the Luftkappe as it did make a significant difference. I tried 85psi, 1 token, 7 click rebound, 2 clicks LSC which was plusher and didn't ramp up too much at the end (unlike with 3 tokens) but still had mid stroke support. The fork was a lot better, but I still didn't think it was as good as it was meant to be and I was even considering buying Tomas' MRP Ribbon when he moved to the AM9. I decided to against that idea and also trying to slacken out the bike by running 25% sag at the front. I dropped the pressure to 80psi (roughly 27.5% sag) and I couldn't believe the improvement. How could 5 psi make that much difference? I was pretty shocked but happy that my persistent fiddling was paying off. I just didn't notice the fork when descending, which is good, it means it is doing it's job.

Finally, from this thread and reading that the 120 can now take a 140mm fork; I got Rick from Slick and Slide Suspension to move the Luftkappe to a 140mm air shaft and do a lower leg service. He took out the last token as the Luftkappe makes the forks more progressive the longer the travel. I have been on a couple of rides now and and tried 80psi, 0 tokens, 7 click rebound, 2 clicks LSC (roughly 27.5% sag) and also 75psi, 7&6 clicks rebound, 2 clicks LSC (roughly 30% sag). I thought I would like the 30% sag front and rear but 75psi just didn't feel nice, it felt almost spiky, like I had too much rebound. 80psi felt amazing, the forks were so plush, just how I thought they should feel when I bought them a year and a half ago. So 80psi is my sweet spot with these forks. I may fiddle with the LSC slightly, but the PSI and rebound are spot on now. I have been down a couple of quick and rough descents and the front the of the bike is writing cheques the rear is struggling to cash (and I just did an air can service with new seals on my Rockshox Deluxe RT3).

Disclaimer: I ain't no pro rider and I didn't think I would really notice changing things on the fork but I would recommend anyone who is struggling to set up their Pike to keep fiddling in a structured way and hopefully you can find your sweet spot.

So I would defiantly recommend running a 140mm fork on the 120. Front wheel lift while climbing is still well controlled, the head angle does look more slack from the side and the wheel does look slightly more forward when on the bike. It's only a very small change in geometry but my forks feel the best they ever have now, so well worth it Smile

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 10:38 Quote
And here is how it looks with the 140/120 setup Wink

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 18, 2018 at 10:11 Quote
Hi all,
New Bird owner here!
Having found the AM9 a little too big for me, I opted for a 120 instead.
Collected her this morning. Absolutely thrilled.
See you on the trails!
Martin

photo

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 at 11:43 Quote
garbzuk wrote:
Hi all,
New Bird owner here!
Having found the AM9 a little too big for me, I opted for a 120 instead.
Collected her this morning. Absolutely thrilled.
See you on the trails!
Martin

photo

Congrats on that awsome buy.
You are gonna be thrilled when you find out just how much that 120 can take.
Actually testet it several times on a 4ft drop to flat without bottoming out landing it both wheels at the same time. That's at 16.5st 30% sag on shock and 25% fork. I'm convinced.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012219
Mobile Version of Website