Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 10:49 Quote
Can someone link me the storepage for the it, can't find it on the website.

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 13:04 Quote
Here you go:

https://www.bird.bike/product-category/shop/components/frame-spares/linkage-kits/aeris-120-lt-linkage-kits/

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 1:48 Quote
Has anyone here ridden the aeris 145LT and the AM9? What are the ride differences between the 2?

I currently have a spesh pitch thats a bit old now. Rode a mates hightower a few years ago and was totally blown away. The head geometry on the birds looks much better on paper and the reviews look really good (I can't afford a santa cruz)

The 32 chainring size puts me off. I currently run a 36 up front on my pitch and it's great. 32 feels like it would be too spinny.

Really need to get a test ride on these bikes. Think i'd be looking at the M/L

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 2:36 Quote
trickydisco78 wrote:
Has anyone here ridden the aeris 145LT and the AM9? What are the ride differences between the 2?

I currently have a spesh pitch thats a bit old now. Rode a mates hightower a few years ago and was totally blown away. The head geometry on the birds looks much better on paper and the reviews look really good (I can't afford a santa cruz)

The 32 chainring size puts me off. I currently run a 36 up front on my pitch and it's great. 32 feels like it would be too spinny.

Really need to get a test ride on these bikes. Think i'd be looking at the M/L

Most people can bearly get away with a 32T, let alone a 29er! I hope it's not a definitive factor as you'll be out of options!

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 2:44 Quote
I run a 26'er and find it mad the small gears at the front and dinner plate cogs at the back. Then again i've been used to riding 32:16 on a singlespeed and have always run 36 up front on my HT and FS

Do you not find you can't get enough top end?

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 2:45 Quote
Wonder how it changes going from a 26 to a 29 gearing wise.

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 2:52 Quote
Well on rough downhills, I can't pedal fast, pedal strikes and loosing balance is what I'm afraid, top speed doesn't suffer much as were I ride the trails are steep enough to help you carry speed beyond the top you can get on any combo without sprinting like a mad man, don't get me wrong I to run 36T on my bike and a 11/36 cassette but when gravity kicks in I focus not to crash Smile

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 2:55 Quote
have you got an AM9 or 145?

Really interested in how they ride

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 2:55 Quote
trickydisco78 wrote:
Wonder how it changes going from a 26 to a 29 gearing wise.
It does, a lot, a 26er with a 32/36 it's close to 32/42 9n a 29er

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 2:56 Quote
trickydisco78 wrote:

Unfortunatelly I ride a yt jeffsy, planning on getting the am9 that's why I keep an eye on this thread! Smile

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 5:00 Quote
trickydisco78 wrote:

I've had my large AM9 since April and I’ve also had a couple of rides on a demo 145LT, also a large, when a mate had one for a weekend away in the hills (he ended up buying an AM9 by the way). I don't think I spent enough time on it to be properly objective though, and we were both as quick on either bike, but having spent nearly 6 years on big wheels I just have preference for the way they feel, and my mates decision was based on having a 29er itch to scratch rather than one of the bikes being better than the other, so I think it just boils down to a wheels size thing..... so apologies as I'm not sure if that really answers your question properly Confused

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 5:54 Quote
@trickydisco78

I also had an old spesh pitch which was a capable bike. I tried a few new bikes but was undecided until I went to bird. First I tried a 145(probably standard one as a demo?) Which was great. On the downhills it was very stable, it did feel a bit of a lump on regular/flat trails tho. I went back and tried the AM9 which again was very stable on the downhills but also somehow more enjoyable on mellower trails too. Afterwards my pitch felt like a kids bike so I bought the AM9. had it only 4 months and its excellent. I love riding it. Its balanced and confidence inspiring.
Birds are very easy to demo so I suggest getting in touch with them and trying both. Forget about the chainring thing. *edit* If you try one you'll see its not an issue, remember you'll have bigger wheels.
32t is probably max on the AM9 without experimenting with spacers
I went from 34t oval on the pitch to a 32 on the AM9 and gearing at top speed hasn't bothered me.

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 9:22 Quote
@trickydisco78 a 36-11 on a 26" wheel is only a fraction higher gear than a 32-11 on a 29" not enough to make a difference. If you got a SRAM drivetrain with a 10T cog then the top gear is higher

this is useful for checking this stuff out http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_meters_of_development

but in any case I wouldn't stress about it.

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 13:05 Quote
Joemmo wrote:
yes I read Dan's comments on facebook about how it rides. Hoping to receive the linkage in time for a ride on sunday before everywhere is a complete mud bath

What did Dan say? I don’t have Facebook. I thought they weren’t going to make the linkage as it would effect the way it climbs; so interested what his take is on it now.

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 at 5:26 Quote
colourofsound wrote:
Joemmo wrote:
yes I read Dan's comments on facebook about how it rides. Hoping to receive the linkage in time for a ride on sunday before everywhere is a complete mud bath

What did Dan say? I don’t have Facebook. I thought they weren’t going to make the linkage as it would effect the way it climbs; so interested what his take is on it now.

I believe the first prototype changed the geo and made the seat tube slacker. The final version has very little effect on the seat tube angle. Dan said:

I've been riding a 120 LT for most of this year, including bike park Wales etc
It makes the bike more downhill focused, but sacrifices a touch of climbing ability. Feels like a short travel downhill bike, really good fun

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019685
Mobile Version of Website