Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 11:16 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
jamski wrote:
Anyone using any sort of downtube protection on a 120? Rockguardz have said I can try one of theirs for a medium 145 and they'll refund if it doesn't fit my ML 120 but just wondering if anyone is using something different as I'm not convinced at all it'll fit?
old tyre

I've seen people do it, but can imagine loads of crap getting between that and the frame and probably doing more harm than good.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
Might as well ask here as well.

I'm pretty much set om getting the AM9, but are having a hard time choosing size.
I'm 191 cm (6'3), so pretty much right between L and XL.

My current bike is just a tiny bit on the short side, but it's a hardtail, so not quite sure how the geo would translate.
Current ETT is the same as L, but current reach 6 cm shorter than XL

I ride with a 60mm stem, aiming for 40mm on AM9.

It will mostly be ridden as an overly capable trail bike around Stockholm.
Trails are never really flat, but the ups and downs are pretty short and many.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 12:14 Quote
jamski wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
jamski wrote:
Anyone using any sort of downtube protection on a 120? Rockguardz have said I can try one of theirs for a medium 145 and they'll refund if it doesn't fit my ML 120 but just wondering if anyone is using something different as I'm not convinced at all it'll fit?
old tyre

I've seen people do it, but can imagine loads of crap getting between that and the frame and probably doing more harm than good.
not really,cos it wraps further around the down tube,onthe otherhand lots of crap get behind rockguards,ruined a frame of mine,that's why I use a tyre now.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
nsandstrom wrote:

I'm pretty much set om getting the AM9, but are having a hard time choosing size.

My current bike is just a tiny bit on the short side, but it's a hardtail, so not quite sure how the geo would translate.

I’m 6’3” too and ride an XL AM9 with a 32mm stem and a short offset fork. It’s fits me better than any bike I’ve ever ridden. I’ve has much shorter friends of mine try the bike and day it feels good for them too. Definitely go for the XL, you’ll love it!

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 16:13 Quote
Ozak42 wrote:
nsandstrom wrote:

I’m 6’3” too and ride an XL AM9 with a 32mm stem and a short offset fork. It’s fits me better than any bike I’ve ever ridden. I’ve has much shorter friends of mine try the bike and day it feels good for them too. Definitely go for the XL, you’ll love it!

Yep. I'm 6' and might be on an XL if the seat tube was shorter. A 6'4" friend has an XL with 50 mm stem and it's definitely not too big. First bike he's owned that's anywhere close to proportional.

The larger frame will allow you to move your saddle forward and stay seated while climbing, rather than standing to avoid flipping over, which has probably been a lifelong problem for you - it always is for tall folks.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 23:02 Quote
What fork offset are you guys using on the AM9?
Considering to get a new fork and tempted to try a 42mm offset

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 23:45 Quote
Arierep wrote:
What fork offset are you guys using on the AM9?
Considering to get a new fork and tempted to try a 42mm offset

I’m running a MRP Ribbon with a 46mm offset. It is great!

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 2:35 Quote
Thinking about getting a new fork, might try a shorter offset

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 2:43 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Thinking about getting a new fork, might try a shorter offset

Perhaps you are lucky and manitou finally releases its new 37mm longtravel 29er fork. This will surely be awesome for a fair price.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 4:37 Quote
The demo AM9 had lyriks (not sure on the offset) and I loved it, bought mine with 42mm offset pikes and still love it. Bird recommended the shorter offsets.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 4:53 Quote
I would go as short as you can if you want to try a different offset. I have 46mm & 51mm Pikes and the difference is barely noticeable, and I'm currently running 51mm Fox 36's.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
Might go for a 2019 Lyrik RC2, 42mm offset

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 21:03 Quote
Ozak42 wrote:
I’m running a MRP Ribbon with a 46mm offset. It is great!

Same for me.

Offset is getting too much attention. The typical steps between offsets creates a difference in trail that's comparable to roughly 0.5° of head tube angle.

Anyone who is happy with their current fork will see little benefit from buying a new fork just for a different offset. If a new fork purchase is being made for other reasons and different offsets are available, I see little reason to not opt for the shortest offset on a long bike.

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 0:27 Quote
Yes, in my case the big reason is to get a better damper and spring. Trying a different offset comes as an extra perk

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 0:52 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Yes, in my case the big reason is to get a better damper and spring. Trying a different offset comes as an extra perk

Perfect, you're in the latter camp. You might as well go for the reduced offset, though you may not even notice the effects, as it's only a 4.7% increase in trail.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021420
Mobile Version of Website