Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 2:57 Quote
nsandstrom wrote:
Might as well ask here as well.

I'm pretty much set om getting the AM9, but are having a hard time choosing size.
I'm 191 cm (6'3), so pretty much right between L and XL.

My current bike is just a tiny bit on the short side, but it's a hardtail, so not quite sure how the geo would translate.
Current ETT is the same as L, but current reach 6 cm shorter than XL

I ride with a 60mm stem, aiming for 40mm on AM9.

It will mostly be ridden as an overly capable trail bike around Stockholm.
Trails are never really flat, but the ups and downs are pretty short and many.

Im 180cm and i ride L with 32mm stem. I’d def go xl.

Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 5:23 Quote
photo
Dare to be different

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 6:41 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:

Im 180cm and i ride L with 32mm stem. I’d def go xl.

Got the chance to try a L on a sidewalk today, and it actually felt a bit small.
Went for the last XL frame in raw in stock!

Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
exmouthlocal wrote:
Arierep wrote:
Caprabizness,
How's the AM9 with the 170mm fork?
That's a bit longer than the standard 150mm

Interested to hear about this too, thinking of an AM9 as my next frame, currently have a 160mm Lyrik and wouldnt wanna go shorter travel TBH

It’s given the front end some extra height as the head tube is on the short side. It’s all in the mind though. 150mm is just as capable as 170mm, but you just go into stuff with the thought that it can handle anything.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 2:04 Quote
Ordered a smashpot coil conversion for my pike, my LT linkage has turned up and my next purchase will be cane creek db coil. Full coil 145LT here we come!

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
radiorog wrote:
Arierep wrote:
Here I'm very very tempted to try 160mm front with a -1.5° angleset.
Would result in a 63.5° head angle and the rest of the geometry really close to stock, just sounds like nirvana
Sounds awful to me. Only tired an angle set once, but immediately I felt the whole geometry of the bike was messed up. The bike felt terrible. I hate the things... Never again! Trust the bike designer imo. Every single angle will be changed and will not be the bike the designer intended. Completely different. Imo.

Ben from Bird has (happily) used an angleset himself.

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 14:26 Quote
nedersotan wrote:
radiorog wrote:
Arierep wrote:
Here I'm very very tempted to try 160mm front with a -1.5° angleset.
Would result in a 63.5° head angle and the rest of the geometry really close to stock, just sounds like nirvana
Sounds awful to me. Only tired an angle set once, but immediately I felt the whole geometry of the bike was messed up. The bike felt terrible. I hate the things... Never again! Trust the bike designer imo. Every single angle will be changed and will not be the bike the designer intended. Completely different. Imo.

A friend has used off set bushings. I do t know if this is possible with the bird, but apparently it doesn't mess with the geometry as much. The anglset I used in my mojo HD made the bike feel terrible.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 16:11 Quote
radiorog wrote:
A friend has used off set bushings. I do t know if this is possible with the bird, but apparently it doesn't mess with the geometry as much. The anglset I used in my mojo HD made the bike feel terrible.

radiorog, how much did you change your head angle on your Mojo HD and what did you not like about it?

The problem with offset bushings is they affect the whole bike, when most people just want a slacker head angle. You'll probably be fine on BB height with most models, since most models are about average - a little low on the 145 LT, though. The seat tube angles are steep and it would be a shame to lose this.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 1:46 Quote
radiorog wrote:
nedersotan wrote:
radiorog wrote:

You're looking at 1 degree of HA adjustment and 10mm of BB drop with a pair of Offset Bushings, half that with a single.

We've produced many for Bird owners in fact! The perk is that you can tinker with your bikes geometry in steps if you prefer, along with being very cost effective if you want to just experiment or even put it back to stock when compared to head angle adjusting headset.

Jeron @ Offset Bushings

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 2:55 Quote
Yeap, if you want your bike to ride like a bobber uphill better use offset bushings on the other end of the bike, if you want to go slacker better use an angle set, it will change the ha and affect little else and not in a bad way, slightly steeper sa, lower bb. Offset bushings will give you the same riding position as if you run the shock at 40% sag. Pretty shit actually.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:44 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Yeap, if you want your bike to ride like a bobber uphill better use offset bushings on the other end of the bike, if you want to go slacker better use an angle set, it will change the ha and affect little else and not in a bad way, slightly steeper sa, lower bb. Offset bushings will give you the same riding position as if you run the shock at 40% sag. Pretty shit actually.

The AM9 is so progressive it already needs to be run close to 40% sag!

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 11:39 Quote
Well just started to prep my 120LT for 2019 and hopefully with lots of fun local rides, park and Alp trips.

New parts for wheels on the way - still DT350 but with Spank Spike Vibrocore.

Still the 2.4 Kenda Hellkat/Nevegal2 ATC combo for now and 2.6 DHR2 3C Maxxterra EXO+ / 2.4WT DHR2 3C Maxxterra DD for park and rougher non local trails

photo

photo

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 12:12 Quote
Trying to make my mind between:
- Marzocchi Bomber, 51mm offset
- RS Yari debonair with RCT3 damper upgrade, 42mm offset

Any opinions?

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Trying to make my mind between:
- Marzocchi Bomber, 51mm offset
- RS Yari debonair with RCT3 damper upgrade, 42mm offset

Any opinions?

Yes, but perhaps you could start things off by listing your perceived pros and cons for each.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 13:43 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
I've still got to disagree with the use of anglesets. To be fair, I've only tried it once, on one bike, but the whole bike felt exactly as you'd imagine it too changing the fork angle by 1.5%. It literally felt like the whole bike had been tilted forward. I still bought the bike though. I took out the angleset immediately, and it felt exactly how I imagined it would. Much better, and a ripper of a bike. The balance before was so obviously off.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019168
Mobile Version of Website