Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 16:11 Quote
Pretty much dialed in the suspension as best I can I think. I watched the bike radar video on how to set it up. I tried 30% front and rear sag but found I wasn't using the 80-90 % when I pushed down hard on the bike so I've put front and rear at 25%. I've dialed in the rebound.

I've had 2 rides over my local trails and the bike does feel great. It feels very playful I find I can lift the front a lot easier than my old bike and get some good bunnyhops hehe. The brakes are excellent and impressed with the grip levels. Gears are great. Tyres are def better than the scwalbe I had on last bike.

I've fitted a mudguard and a bottlecage and I'm hopefully going to order a invisiframe kit for my LBS to fit and might get a rockguardz for the downtube.

Love it.

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 23:42 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
The AM9 is finally in its (mostly) final form. Tires, brakes, and grips still being tested. Fancy wheels mounted; yet to be ridden.

2019 build details. Light where it can be heavy where it matters. Frame Bird Aeris AM9 size Large Shock EXT Arma Fork MRP Ribbon Coil Wheels - Hubs Extralite Hyperboost - Rims Race Face ARC Carbon 36 - Spokes Berd Polylight - Tires F Kenda Hellkat ATC 2.6 R Kenda Nevegal2 ATC 2.6 Brakes Magura MT7 203 mm Drivetrain - Cranks e thirteen TRS Plus - Chainring e thirteen SL Guidering 28T spaced non-Boost - Cassette e thirteen TRS Race 11sp 9-46 - Chain Box One 11sp - Shifter Box One - Derailleur Box One Seatpost BikeYoke Revive. 185 mm Bar Answer ProTaper Carbon 810 mm 25 mm rise Stem Answer AME 40 mm Headset Cane Creek 40 Pedals Look X-Track En-Rage Grips ODI Elite Pro or Oury push-on Saddle Velo

More photos.

Ride impressions with the storia?

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 1:01 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
The AM9 is finally in its (mostly) final form. Tires, brakes, and grips still being tested. Fancy wheels mounted; yet to be ridden.

2019 build details. Light where it can be heavy where it matters. Frame Bird Aeris AM9 size Large Shock EXT Arma Fork MRP Ribbon Coil Wheels - Hubs Extralite Hyperboost - Rims Race Face ARC Carbon 36 - Spokes Berd Polylight - Tires F Kenda Hellkat ATC 2.6 R Kenda Nevegal2 ATC 2.6 Brakes Magura MT7 203 mm Drivetrain - Cranks e thirteen TRS Plus - Chainring e thirteen SL Guidering 28T spaced non-Boost - Cassette e thirteen TRS Race 11sp 9-46 - Chain Box One 11sp - Shifter Box One - Derailleur Box One Seatpost BikeYoke Revive. 185 mm Bar Answer ProTaper Carbon 810 mm 25 mm rise Stem Answer AME 40 mm Headset Cane Creek 40 Pedals Look X-Track En-Rage Grips ODI Elite Pro or Oury push-on Saddle Velo

More photos.

Looks killer, how is the arma? Also we need a review of the wheels, those spokes look too fragile but I know that's not the case!

I have the same brakes, powerfull and good feeling but let down lever

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 4:34 Quote
bansaiman wrote:
Ride impressions with the storia?

adespotoskyli wrote:
Looks killer, how is the arma? Also we need a review of the wheels, those spokes look too fragile but I know that's not the case!

I have the same brakes, powerfull and good feeling but let down lever

Arma vs. Storia: It was a difficult decision. The bike's anti-squat is so high that I didn't need the lock switch, while the leverage ratio is so progressive that I didn't need the hydraulic bottom out. I decided on the Arma because I think a bike with open suspension is faster - and a lot more comfortable - if it isn't squatting, which it's not. The lack of a switch has taken this task off my mind and made my ride a surprising amount less busy.

Arma performance: The shock is so good that it just disappears. When I had a DVO Topaz on my Aeris 145 / 145 LT, I would often notice it wasn't ideally compliant, even without as much support as I wanted at other times. Some of that was the frame's leverage curve, of course, so it's difficult to fully separate the variables. The Arma & AM9 just always feels right. It's difficult to tell how much travel I use and how often without an indicator band - and how often I use the hydraulic bottom-out; I just know it feels better than any other set-up I've used on this bike or others.

Berd spokes: Only one way to find out! I'm hoping they add some compliance to the carbon rims. I haven't tried these rims with steel spokes, so I won't be able to isolate the effect of the spokes; just hoping the whole package feels good.

Brakes: Yes, the lever shape isn't my favourite, but it's okay. I had the HC lever on my Aeris 145: much nicer shape, but the shorter lever reduces the power of the brakes. On a 29er, I'll take the extra power. I also have a set of Dominions I'm looking forward to testing. The soft and "springy" feel of the Maguras after the bite point isn't ideal.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 5:02 Quote
That soft and mushy feel of the maguras is from the lever, if they make a long straight alu lever will be best, even the hc has a funny shape, too curvy and offers one place to rest your fingers, a lever shaped as the guides or codes will be optimal for me, it won't change much during the travel and stiff enough to get the brakes feel and progression

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
That soft and mushy feel of the maguras is from the lever, if they make a long straight alu lever will be best, even the hc has a funny shape, too curvy and offers one place to rest your fingers, a lever shaped as the guides or codes will be optimal for me, it won't change much during the travel and stiff enough to get the brakes feel and progression

I'm sure the lever contributes a little, but I'm not getting 1 cm of flex out of the lever!

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 5:14 Quote
Maybe the whole master cyl and clamp body?

I don't get that much movement as I usually stop abruptly...

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 12:50 Quote
thats quite "in-the-know" -setup ya got over there :-)

Just booked overhaul for my ttx22

dunno is it just the riding hours or demoing megatower recently but I kind of want a bit less compression tune on my setup now

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 13:41 Quote
Pair Magura mt5 saddle with Shimano levers. That hardens the braking point and adds even more power. Works without problems. I use deore and slx levers

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 14:59 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:

dunno is it just the riding hours or demoing megatower recently but I kind of want a bit less compression tune on my setup now

Look at us and our similar set-ups!

Bird uses very low leverage ratios, so a lower compression tune should work well.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 23:51 Quote
Anyone knows if you need a boost crancset on a AM9? More exactly, can I use a xx1 crancset with q factor 156?

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 1:47 Quote
Thick-as-a-Brick wrote:
Anyone knows if you need a boost crancset on a AM9? More exactly, can I use a xx1 crancset with q factor 156?

I'm not optimistic. Reasons:

1. A more direct measurement than Q-factor is offset from frame centreline to the inside face of the crank. For Boost, the standard value is 71 mm. I don't know the value used by XX1 with narrow Q; if it's beyond 3 mm narrower than Boost spacing, it would be extremely tight.

2. I use Boost cranks with non-Boost chainring offset for better chainline. My 28T ring barely clears the chainstay; I doubt a larger ring would work without additional offset. If you can do that, then you avoid this caveat.

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 2:41 Quote
[Quote="R-M-R"]
bikefuturist wrote:

Look at us and our similar set-ups!

Bird uses very low leverage ratios, so a lower compression tune should work well.[/Quote

yeh quite similar indeed!

I think imma call TFtuned as I couldnt find any tuning info on my email. I think theyve just set it up based on the quite rudimentary info I provided with the purchase form and leverage ratio given by Dan H.

Posted: Apr 23, 2019 at 6:56 Quote
Anyone has an idea how well the stock tune of an off the shelf Marzocchi Bomber CR shock suits the AM9?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012375
Mobile Version of Website