Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Apr 23, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Anyone has an idea how well the stock tune of an off the shelf Marzocchi Bomber CR shock suits the AM9?

I recently ordered one and was hoping to have had it fitted by now but the delivery has been delayed for another couple of weeks Frown

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 1:45 Quote
I do love the raw look on those AM9s.

Be interested to hear more about the Hayes dominions- they certainly look good.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 3:47 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
Arierep wrote:
Anyone has an idea how well the stock tune of an off the shelf Marzocchi Bomber CR shock suits the AM9?

I recently ordered one and was hoping to have had it fitted by now but the delivery has been delayed for another couple of weeks Frown

The one your ordered is completely stock?

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 7:03 Quote
clamps81 wrote:
Be interested to hear more about the Hayes dominions- they certainly look good.

I'll get to it ... eventually!

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Pablo16v wrote:
Arierep wrote:

The one your ordered is completely stock?

Yes I’m going to see what it’s like straight out of the box first then decide if I want or need to get it custom tuned. It’s been a while since I last ran a coil shock, a Push tuned Marzocchi Roco TST which was awesome, so I’m really looking forward to trying the Bomber.

Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 2:16 Quote
Arierep wrote:

I have to sell an moto c2r which is probably the only one made for the AM 9 as a tuner friend of mine made it into 230*65mm. As the AM9 has such good anti squat I do not miss any lockout lever. It works really well but I sell for change to An airshock.

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 2:09 Quote
It's my first 29er and must say I was a bit skeptical when I demoed lower spec one in Peak District.

The previous bike was Cube Stereo 160 650b in Large and AM9 in large is a lot bigger and has a totally different geometry.

But decide to go ahead and place an order as I was always happy with my first choice. And couldn't be bothered to waste money and time to try other demo bikes.

After a wet ride in Hamsterley on Saturday im well chuffed with my choice. This bike just floats over and won't stop Big Grin Big Grin

photo

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
My new AM9. Only had a couple of short rides around Bath and at Windhill bikepark so far. Still getting it dialed in and not quite there but feels fast. Really looking forwards to getting out to South Wales for a proper ride soon.

I'm really happy with the build and all the components apart from my choice of bars. I chose some with a 20mm rise because I was worried that the bike would be too high but the headtube is actually so short that your bars end up quite low even with the big wheels and fork. Without the spacers I felt way too low and pitched forwards for riding aggressively. With the massive spacer stack it feels great but looks a bit crap. Will have to get some higher rise bars at some point.

The suspension is amazing. So PLUSH. Also the deore 4-pots with big rotors and minion DHF/DHR give insane braking performance.

Saddle and uppydowny post are from previous bike.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
hookso wrote:
I was worried that the bike would be too high but the headtube is actually so short that your bars end up quite low even with the big wheels and fork.

Nice build ... except perhaps the saddle Eek It does make yours stand out from all the other raw AM9s, though!

Agree about the head tube length. I, and everyone I know who rides a Bird, also run quite a spacer stack. The head tubes could be a lot longer, especially on the Large and XL. Worst case, a small number of customers have to use flat bars.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 6:16 Quote
Another vote for taller headtube on the XL at least (I don’t own a L, so can’t comment)

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 14:07 Quote
Yeah I think the headtubes could be 15-20mm longer across the Aeris range. I have 20mm spacers and a 35mm riser on the ML 120LT. The position is great but I'd prefer to have fewer spacers too

Raceface Turbine R35 bars

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 21:20 Quote
15 mm spacers and 40mm bars here. And I was between sizes and went upwards

O+
Posted: May 7, 2019 at 0:59 Quote
Code rsc brakes.......
Brakes recently bled, new pads in. Have been absolutely brilliant. As pad has been wearing down I've been twiddling the contact adjuster to keep the bite point nice and firm feeling. Half way through life of pads I have used up all the adjustment available on the bite point adjuster.
Brakes now not as comfortable.
What should I do? Any way of avoiding this?

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 2:35 Quote
radiorog wrote:
Code rsc brakes.......
Brakes recently bled, new pads in. Have been absolutely brilliant. As pad has been wearing down I've been twiddling the contact adjuster to keep the bite point nice and firm feeling. Half way through life of pads I have used up all the adjustment available on the bite point adjuster.
Brakes now not as comfortable.
What should I do? Any way of avoiding this?

take the wheel out and pump the lever a few times to bring the pistons out a bit, then pop her back in.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 4:59 Quote
Anyone running an Aeris AM9 with a 160/170mm fork?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016311
Mobile Version of Website